This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Here.
Can’t sleep.
Coffee and video games until everyone is awake and then back into the attic.

Way more work than I was expecting. The lack of space to move is the killer. There’s only room to lay down so I’m having to shuffle around on my back or stomach in a roughly 10’x35’ area.

I spent about 6 hours up there yesterday. Got all my soffit baffles stapled in and only punctured myself with roofing nails twice. I spent a good hour cleaning garbage out of there too. A bunch of roofing materials laying in there, piles of petrified raccoon shit and a couple smashed down old fiberglass batts. Half the attic left to clean still.

Air sealing with spray foam after it’s cleaned out and then the fun of wrestling batts up there. The access is only a little 14x24” scuttle hole.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling that sucks dude. I hate working in cramped spaces.

Here, been on a marathon road trip last couple days to pick up axles and parts for Scout. Left home (Des Moines) Weds afternoon and drove to South Bend. Drove to dudes place in Canada yesterday and picked up my shit then back to Port Huron Michigan. Now getting ready to hit the road and head home. 650 miles to go and a supposed 8-12" snow coming.
burt reynolds br GIF

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I did it to myself. House is a a fixer upper, I knew what I was getting into. Just not what I was hoping to be doing while home sick from work. Oh well
Will all be worth it in the end as you know its done right!
I need to check an area where my chimney is but I need to buy several 2x12s and put down so I can actually walk there. No floor in attic of cookie cutter. Just spray insulation and I am afraid I will fall through the ceiling.

Honey doo list:
1. Foyer light
2. Check attic
Odds on neither being done before summer?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Will all be worth it in the end as you know its done right!
That’s what I’m telling myself :bowrofl:

Either it’s such a suck ass job I know someone would half ass it or I’m paying through the teeth to get it done correctly.

Like job I’m doing now, doubt anyone would fuss with half the things I’m doing. They’d have put in half the baffles and put batts in.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I need to check an area where my chimney is but I need to buy several 2x12s and put down so I can actually walk there. No floor in attic of cookie cutter. Just spray insulation and I am afraid I will fall through the ceiling.

Honey doo list:
1. Foyer light
2. Check attic

Ive been slowly making my way across my attic and have been nailing down sheets of 3/4" plywood along the way.... Lay down some new batt insulation, lay down plywood, nail it down and continue across.

My biggest issue is Im a fat ass and my roof sounds like Jared's house, its a 4:12 pitch but the house is only 24' wide so it gets narrow in a hurry.

Luckily I paid the roofers to put in my baffles when they re-sheeted the roof, so now it's just slowly cleaning it up, adding flooring through the middle of the attic for access, then eventually go through and blow in a ton more insulation.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
That’s what I’m telling myself :bowrofl:

Either it’s such a suck ass job I know someone would half ass it or I’m paying through the teeth to get it done correctly.

Like job I’m doing now, doubt anyone would fuss with half the things I’m doing. They’d have put in half the baffles and put batts in.

Always the biggest reason I do shit myself even though I never really want to. I know they'll do it somehow I dont want it done and itll just piss me off....

When I had my roof redone I had them install Smart Baffles in every bay of rafters, a lot more expensive but between the entire roof ridge vent and the entire soffit row being vented it's perfectly ventilated up there so I'm on the right track.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Ive been slowly making my way across my attic and have been nailing down sheets of 3/4" plywood along the way.... Lay down some new batt insulation, lay down plywood, nail it down and continue across.

My biggest issue is Im a fat ass and my roof sounds like Jared's house, its a 4:12 pitch but the house is only 24' wide so it gets narrow in a hurry.

Luckily I paid the roofers to put in my baffles when they re-sheeted the roof, so now it's just slowly cleaning it up, adding flooring through the middle of the attic for access, then eventually go through and blow in a ton more insulation.
How the hell are you getting sheets of plywood into your attic? My opening to get in my attic is probably 3'x2'

Reactions: DEEZUZ

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
How the hell are you getting sheets of plywood into your attic? My opening to get in my attic is probably 3'x2'

I rip them down so they are 2' x 8' and then go to town pulling them up there. I started when I ripped all the drywall out of the attached garage and made a new attic access in the garage.... Still need to seal off the one in the hallway.

Opening for the attic access is 22.5" x 54" so they fit still, just a pain in the ass.

1642167037674.png

I love the part where the previous owner left a bulb sitting on the joist so it burned the joist when you had lights on up there. :bowrofl:

I'll likely put up some LED lights in there spaced apart, but the main goal was to get the area where I put the opening in the garage floored in so I can start storing some shit up there.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

Honey doo list:
1. Foyer light
2. Check attic

Glad u fixed up the hard part last year in the landscaping.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So what's the current word on Lugz?

I had a few pair when I was in middle school. They seemed to fizzle out.

They look really good but seem very affordable. Are they just crap?
Shoes or boots? Havent seen the shoes in years, but I see the boots once in a while.
If I'm wearing boots its Timbs all day, every day.

Thread Info