đź’¬ Off Topic đźĄ± Officially new Official Bored Thread

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
UPDATE. basically haven’t gotten anywhere. Supply house said all they could do for him is submit a claim to the manufacturer about mismatch in color.
More waiting
Take discount, move on. Enjoy lower ac bills from a lighter colored roof

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Take discount, move on. Enjoy lower ac bills from a lighter colored roof
There is no discount. I’m saying basically the options I’m going to leave dude is not getting paid in full and being stuck with current color, fixing roof with appropriate colored shingle, or taking me to small claims court and trying to get paid.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I was going to say, it always made me laugh that the one part of the house that gets beat on by sun all day, is fucking BLACK. Meanwhile everyone is tripping over their dicks trying to make more energy efficient windows, lighter color siding/trim, etc, etc.

Wouldn't you just.... get a lighter color roof?

Maybe I'm not well versed in how the fuck a roof works but I'm pretty sure 99.9% sun exposure and BLACK causes a metric fuckload of heat. Idk. I'm not a fucking thermodynamicist.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I was going to say, it always made me laugh that the one part of the house that gets beat on by sun all day, is fucking BLACK. Meanwhile everyone is tripping over their dicks trying to make more energy efficient windows, lighter color siding/trim, etc, etc.

Wouldn't you just.... get a lighter color roof?

Maybe I'm not well versed in how the fuck a roof works but I'm pretty sure 99.9% sun exposure and BLACK causes a metric fuckload of heat. Idk. I'm not a fucking thermodynamicist.

I dont think it makes as big a difference if your attic space is vented and insulated properly as people make it sound either though.

If your attic space gets hot but is venting correctly and you have like R50 insulation on the ceiling of the house between the living space and the attic, I dont think youll get much transfer of that heat that will make it a huge difference between a darker roof or lighter roof.

You need really good windows because theyre whats separating living space from the outside directly. I also wouldnt care about siding color if the walls are insulated properly.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I dont think it makes as big a difference if your attic space is vented and insulated properly as people make it sound either though.

If your attic space gets hot but is venting correctly and you have like R50 insulation on the ceiling of the house between the living space and the attic, I dont think youll get much transfer of that heat that will make it a huge difference between a darker roof or lighter roof.

You need really good windows because theyre whats separating living space from the outside directly. I also wouldnt care about siding color if the walls are insulated properly.
Going from single pane to double pane makes a difference, really not much value for your money after that. Window companies and installers do a great job at marketing like your gas/electricity usage is going to get sliced in half.

best bang for your buck energy savings is air sealing and attic insulation.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Between roof and Covid vax shit, I am TRIGGERED today.
giphy.gif

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
There is no discount. I’m saying basically the options I’m going to leave dude is not getting paid in full and being stuck with current color, fixing roof with appropriate colored shingle, or taking me to small claims court and trying to get paid.
Imo, its 100% on him. If you picked the color of the shingle out with him, he should have caught it when the job started. Its clearly the wrong color and no matter what he says its not right. Stand your ground and dont give him another cent

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Going from single pane to double pane makes a difference, really not much value for your money after that. Window companies and installers do a great job at marketing like your gas/electricity usage is going to get sliced in half.

best bang for your buck energy savings is air sealing and attic insulation.

My parents for some reason got triple pane windows when they had theirs done, and they hate them because theyre so heavy.... They wish they had gone double pane.

Thats the biggest upside with doing spray foam insulation, yeah the R value is better than fiberglass or mineral wool, but the sealing off of air penetrations is the biggest thing. Since I spray foamed my bedrooms when its freezing cold outside you can literally feel the temp difference where the studs are because they allow in more cool temps that the cavitys.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Roofer seems like he’s riding the fence on this. Agrees shingle doesn’t look like sample but looks kind of like one of the photos on their website. He’s waiting to hear back from his supplier about the color now.

All I know is i either got a roof I don’t like for half price or it’s going to get fixed to the color I want. Put half $$ down before work started.

Can he buy a box from a different supplier and then open one of his boxes just to check the color. Something is foresure off

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Can he buy a box from a different supplier and then open one of his boxes just to check the color. Something is foresure off
That’s on him, not me. When he finds out I’m not going to pay, he can figure that out.

Thread Info