🥱 Officially new Official Bored Thread

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Things i'll never understand: Why you'd want an alexa device to turn your lights on for you

I understand wanting a smart thermostat, doorbell etc, but what is so hard about flicking a light switch. Takes me more time to say "Alexa turn my kitchen lights on" than it does to flip the switch

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Things i'll never understand: Why you'd want an alexa device to turn your lights on for you

I understand wanting a smart thermostat, doorbell etc, but what is so hard about flicking a light switch. Takes me more time to say "Alexa turn my kitchen lights on" than it does to flip the switch

If my mom gets up at night she tells Alexa to fire up the lights before she goes downstairs. :dunno: white people shit I guess

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'd like to find some decent wi-fi 110v plugs that don't require a hub, use an app that doesn't need a ridiculous amount of permission (why do you need to know how tall I am?), and will remember SSID information if there is a power outage. That way I can turn lights on/off when I'm not home. Yes I could get a plug-in timer, but they're static. I want to be able to vary the times they come on so it is not apparent that no one is home.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008

My outside lights on the garage is on a switch pretty far away, I have two kids that I am trying to get out the door everymorning. Having alexa automatically turn those off everymorning is amazing.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Same as Mook Mook. I'm in bed, not way in hell am I getting up lol

Also, my bedroom fan is on one. I turn it on to get the room cooler when the windows are open.

Waiting for iDevices to finish their all in one smart switch and fan controller.... I have a few of their switches and its great not having to worry about the exterior lights, theyre just set from sun down to sun up.

They have great outlets, Im just waiting for the all in one switch because theyre one of the few places who make them for Apple Homekit, that will fit in a single switch wall plate.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Waiting for iDevices to finish their all in one smart switch and fan controller.... I have a few of their switches and its great not having to worry about the exterior lights, theyre just set from sun down to sun up.

They have great outlets, Im just waiting for the all in one switch because theyre one of the few places who make them for Apple Homekit, that will fit in a single switch wall plate.
i hate the size of fucking smart switches.I had to swap a junction box this weekend to finally get the smart switch to fit with the cables. I had it hanging out of the wall for a few months and would use the app :rofl:

the only reason i went with these switches os because i got them for $7/ light switch on clearance...fucking steal. Its the TP link wifi switches. Fucking fatasses on them though.

my preference is the zwave aeotec micro switch (now nano switch). very tiny and fits behind the existing switch (usually) and reuse your normal switch but brings smart control too.

Reactions: FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
i hate the size of fucking smart switches.I had to swap a junction box this weekend to finally get the smart switch to fit with the cables. I had it hanging out of the wall for a few months and would use the app :rofl:

the only reason i went with these switches os because i got them for $7/ light switch on clearance...fucking steal. Its the TP link wifi switches. Fucking fatasses on them though.

my preference is the zwave aeotec micro switch (now nano switch). very tiny and fits behind the existing switch (usually) and reuse your normal switch but brings smart control too.

For sure. I have full size 4” boxes everywhere so that’s why I’m waiting for their single switch, so I can fit everything in one junction box. :bowrofl:

plus their little light in the middle of the switch is cool. They released an Alexa all in one switch too that’s cool.

Thread Info