🥱 Officially new Official Bored Thread

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Well that's the thing that drives me nuts. Their roles arent changing, they are still just assemblers, but theyre learning new products to assemble. I want everyone to be able to assemble anything that comes in the doorway so when people are sick or on vacation we don't have to wait and can assemble certain builds....

Ive been putting together job aids for parts (basically step by step instructions so anyone can build the part) and they get all paranoid that it means theyre going to get fired because someone else can build a certain part.

Reactions: greasy

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It's complete bullshit, I shouldn't have to be helping anyone, they know how ouch is currently on my plate and they want to throw everyone else's issues at me? Fuuuuck no.
Alot of trial and error at work.
Who pays for the "error" part when something goes wrong...you or the company? Assuming the company, and in that case, why shouldn't you help a coworker not make the same error which then costs money?

You're paid hourly, what you do in the hours you're on the clock is the company's decision, not yours. If a coworker needs help...guess what you should be doing..if that pushes you in to OT then your manager should decide whether you help. If you were strictly paid by the job or a contractor, with no company benefits whatsoever (meaning you pay for mistakes, not the business) i'd understand your viewpoint.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My point is no one trys to figure it out themselves. It's just pick up the phone and call Alex.

Well guess who Alex had/has to call when he needs help? No one except for people I've befriended outside of work
That I get, and if they're asking something obvious i'd tell them where to look to find the answer on their own. But if they legitimately need help with something that even you once found complex, give it. Much of your trial and error/expertise/education came because the company employs you and invests in you

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
My point is no one trys to figure it out themselves. It's just pick up the phone and call Alex.

Well guess who Alex had/has to call when he needs help? No one except for people I've befriended outside of work
easy to call someone who knows then to spend hours troubleshooting :dunno:

Id do the same thing. Then they learn from it and wont call you anymore on that issue.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well that's the thing that drives me nuts. Their roles arent changing, they are still just assemblers, but theyre learning new products to assemble. I want everyone to be able to assemble anything that comes in the doorway so when people are sick or on vacation we don't have to wait and can assemble certain builds....

Ive been putting together job aids for parts (basically step by step instructions so anyone can build the part) and they get all paranoid that it means theyre going to get fired because someone else can build a certain part.
well thats a bit different. Then they should obtain the skills to assemble more products to make them more valuable. easy way to get a little raise when you can build 5 types of parts and the other guy can build 2

Reactions: FESTER665

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

I feel like there are a bunch of people in the workforce that refuse to better themselves or learn extra skills because it is not what they got hired/paid on to do. This type of thinking makes me shake my head as these are the first people to complain when they get let go from a company. You did nothing in your work that made yourself more valuable than others to the company. No company owes you a job, you are hired to perform a job and if you are there to do the bare minimum to earn don't be surprised when you don't get a promotion, don't get special treatment, or even worse get canned.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

I’ll teach someone once or twice how to do something if they’re new and ask but after that if you can’t do it yourself and need your hand held the whole time, time to google and figure it out then. I’ve got my own work to do.

The worst offender is my boss. The guy must have dementia or something because his brain cannot fucking retain any info.

Reactions: greasy and DEEZUZ

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I'm just happy today is smoother than yesterday.. Yesterday be like

giphy (11).gif

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I feel like there are a bunch of people in the workforce that refuse to better themselves or learn extra skills because it is not what they got hired/paid on to do. This type of thinking makes me shake my head as these are the first people to complain when they get let go from a company. You did nothing in your work that made yourself more valuable than others to the company. No company owes you a job, you are hired to perform a job and if you are there to do the bare minimum to earn don't be surprised when you don't get a promotion, don't get special treatment, or even worse get canned.
That’s everyone at my wife’s work minus her and even then she has to help them with their jobs and they’ve been there longer than her ?

She’s gotten two promotions since starting but it’s slightly bitten her in the ass because she’s stuck basically helping everyone else as their manager when she has her own work she needs to do (or stuff other people can’t figure out). Old people....ugh.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That’s everyone at my wife’s work minus her and even then she has to help them with their jobs and they’ve been there longer than her ?

She’s gotten two promotions since starting but it’s slightly bitten her in the ass because she’s stuck basically helping everyone else as their manager when she has her own work she needs to do (or stuff other people can’t figure out). Old people....ugh.

I just recently took a promotion as a manager at my job. Something I have learned quickly is to make sure that the people you manage understand that they need to try to first find the answer themselves first and only call me when they have exhausted their options (asking a fellow employee, searching our intranet, etc..). Otherwise my day would be strictly answering all of their questions.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I just recently took a promotion as a manager at my job. Something I have learned quickly is to make sure that the people you manage understand that they need to try to first find the answer themselves first and only call me when they have exhausted their options (asking a fellow employee, searching our intranet, etc..). Otherwise my day would be strictly answering all of their questions.
One of our execs that I get along with is known in my dept for a great quote. A guy I know brings said exec (then manager) a pretty serious problem with no suggestions, just an open ended question. The manager (now exec) says "Chris, you've brought me this issue but haven't tried anything to fix it, nor do you even have any recommendations or specific questions. If I solve this, which it seems you want me to do, then what do I need you for?"

BAM

I told my wife this, she's been practice manager for about a year and it sounds like the entire place comes to her with everything. Over time I think she's starting to teach them to be slightly more independent. I get that this isn't easy to accomplish with a workforce that's almost 100% women, which is what she has

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
One of our execs that I get along with is known in my dept for a great quote. A guy I know brings said exec (then manager) a pretty serious problem with no suggestions, just an open ended question. The manager (now exec) says "Chris, you've brought me this issue but haven't tried anything to fix it, nor do you even have any recommendations or specific questions. If I solve this, which it seems you want me to do, then what do I need you for?"

BAM

I told my wife this, she's been practice manager for about a year and it sounds like the entire place comes to her with everything. Over time I think she's starting to teach them to be slightly more independent. I get that this isn't easy to accomplish with a workforce that's almost 100% women, which is what she has

AMEN!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
In my job before this, i had an ABSURDLY high maintenance group. Very effective, but they required CONSTANT communication and involvement, and they were all emotional even though most were men. We got a lot done but fuck was that draining. By the end of the day I was just mentally tired, all patience completely exhausted. These weren't malleable fresh grads either...their habits had been solidified over decades in the workforce.

Since taking this new role, we've built up an amazing group that doesn't require any handholding, but that never lasts forever. High performers get promoted out and you have to rebuild, but i've definitely enjoyed this year so far

Reactions: greasy

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
In my job before this, i had an ABSURDLY high maintenance group. Very effective, but they required CONSTANT communication and involvement, and they were all emotional even though most were men. We got a lot done but fuck was that draining. By the end of the day I was just mentally tired, all patience completely exhausted. These weren't malleable fresh grads either...their habits had been solidified over decades in the workforce.

Since taking this new role, we've built up an amazing group that doesn't require any handholding, but that never lasts forever. High performers get promoted out and you have to rebuild, but i've definitely enjoyed this year so far

I hear that, my team is a mix. My predecessor was worthless and nobody went to him for anything. I stepped in and everyone thought I was Google, it became exhausting and my patience wore thin. Being blunt and probably too honest was just a natural byproduct. Things have since subsided and now I only have a few folks on my team of 8 that need hand holding, thankfully it is not all of them!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think this is common sense, but the reason I got so good at what I do is because I only had myself to rely on to find the answers for the most part. I have had people comment to me that I seem to know everything. My response is that you can't learn something if someone is always telling you the answer for what you need.

Thread Info