đź’¬ OT Officially new Official Bored Thread

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I thought it was a no-no to swap stuff between vehicles since that caused the window sticker to be wrong?

When a customer is plunking that much coin down, we'd customize too. "Dealer installed options". Or if they're bringing them in from outside and then keep the OEM wheels. It really doesn't matter. They're paying for what the deal was made for regardless of a sticker on the window.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
When a customer is plunking that much coin down, we'd customize too. "Dealer installed options". Or if they're bringing them in from outside and then keep the OEM wheels. It really doesn't matter. They're paying for what the deal was made for regardless of a sticker on the window.

I understand dealer installed options. My comment is about swapping options. So you are going to put lower end wheels on a car that has a sticker with higher end wheels? Yeah, okay.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If that's what the customer wants...

Dealers think something "baller" on a Denali looks better than OEM, in this case the wheels, buys them for cheap, marks them up 200% on an additional sticker on the truck that has dealer installed options or additional equipment... Think silly things like pinstriping and shit too.

Happens all the time and people snap them up. I don't get it.

Anything with aftermarket wheels and stereo, I turn and walk away unless they have the OEM stuff they're gonna give me in addition.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I mean, thinking back of the days when I was in service, wheels weren't always a big thing, but stuff like Rusty Jones or AutoArmor rustproofing, pinstriping or decal packages, LoJack's, stuff like that were the similar type of thing. An unncessary add on that they could mark up and gouge for no reason other than the fact that they're money grubbing assholes trying to nickel and dime you to death thinking that's what YOU want.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
What customer comes in and looks at a Denali sticker and is happy to see work truck wheels on it? Come on Lane, literally that makes no sense.

I mean, I can't speak for the decision maker here. I think it looks like shit and I like the stock wheels, but I'm not the one in charge there.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You're arguing semantics. I'm simply stating that shit like this happens all the fucking time. Stock for stock, stock for aftermarket, doesn't matter.

I knew of one dealer in our zone that would buy on a fleet template, 50 of a certain equipment group truck, get it in, swap out shit (stock, aftermarket, didn't matter), it would cost them virtually nothing to do (or at least very little), then they'd mark it up $5k, call it the "Chicago special edition" package and laugh all the way to the bank when people came in and snapped it up.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Your not reading and now trying to cover for it. Dealer upgrades with aftermarket is so common, its everywhere. Dealer special editions everywhere, got it. Seen so many, want nothing to do with them because they are such a money grab its sad. Those swaps are all upgrades or at least perceived "upgrades".

Show me an up packaged vehicle (Denali), with the window sticker saying as such, with wheels from a lower end vehicle (Work Truck). Yes extreme example but I need to be. I don't think you will find it because that Denali is losing value but I'll wait.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yeah i don't get why cmntmxr is talking like swapping wheels between two brand new factory trucks, and adding aftermarket wheels to a new truck, is the same thing.

If you swap OE wheels between new vehicles, somewhere there's a truck with wheels that don't represent the MSRP/Options for that truck

Reactions: EmersonHart13

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You're arguing semantics. I'm simply stating that shit like this happens all the fucking time. Stock for stock, stock for aftermarket, doesn't matter.

I knew of one dealer in our zone that would buy on a fleet template, 50 of a certain equipment group truck, get it in, swap out shit (stock, aftermarket, didn't matter), it would cost them virtually nothing to do (or at least very little), then they'd mark it up $5k, call it the "Chicago special edition" package and laugh all the way to the bank when people came in and snapped it up.
Sooo you have two pickups. Same options except wheels.

White one stickers at $52k and has fancy 22's
Black one stickers at $48k and has poverty 18's

Guy comes in and wants a black truck but wants the nice wheels. So they'd actually swap them, then try and sell said $52k truck with the shitty wheels on it? I honestly think that's against the rules set by the OEM's, it's straight up fraud

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
In that case I don't even think they can get away with installing aftermarket 22's and charging the price for factory wheels included in the MSRP, because factory wheels are much more expensive.

This is entirely different than putting fancy aftermarket wheels on a truck with crappy OE wheels and upcharging as a dealer option, that I understand.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Your not reading and now trying to cover for it. Dealer upgrades with aftermarket is so common, its everywhere. Dealer special editions everywhere, got it. Seen so many, want nothing to do with them because they are such a money grab its sad. Those swaps are all upgrades or at least perceived "upgrades".

Show me an up packaged vehicle (Denali), with the window sticker saying as such, with wheels from a lower end vehicle (Work Truck). Yes extreme example but I need to be. I don't think you will find it because that Denali is losing value but I'll wait.

You are correct you should not swap anything that will change the window sticker options. Been doing this a along time.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You are correct you should not swap anything that will change the window sticker options. Been doing this a along time.
So if you're selling a truck with premium wheels, the best ones available, can you replace them with aftermarket? I know they'll replace shitty wheels with aftermarket

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I always wondered what dealers pay for OE wheels...those things are STOOOOPID expensive for regular peons

For reference, the 13-14 beadlock wheels on my truck were a $1200 option from the factory. After the production run was over? $600 a pop from Ford and you got 5 of them if you went with the factory option.

Thread Info