⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Payroll = Money being spent.

Here's some counterpoints (While not all worked, money was spent and moves were made)

Signed Yasmani Grandal who was arguably the best catcher available that year. (Largest contract in White Sox history)

Signed Liam Hendricks who was the biggest closer on the market to a deal that was said to be an "overpay"

Wanted extra bullpen depth, traded for Kimbrel who was the best available closer on the market.

Locked in all the "core" players to avoid what happened on the North side, when all of them were sent packing due to not getting paid.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
They spent money but they haven't spent it well. It seems once the limit was hit they were done. That's my problem with Hahn, he spent on Grandal, Keuchel and Hendricks. Traded for Lynn and locked him up. At the time of the signing all of those were good roll player additions. Big holes like a lefty bat and right fielder were attempted to be filled by dumpster diving when players like Harper, Schwarber and Castellanos were never seriously perused.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
They spent money but they haven't spent it well. It seems once the limit was hit they were done. That's my problem with Hahn, he spent on Grandal, Keuchel and Hendricks. Traded for Lynn and locked him up. At the time of the signing all of those were good roll player additions. Big holes like a lefty bat and right fielder were attempted to be filled by dumpster diving when players like Harper, Schwarber and Castellanos were never seriously perused.
Dumpster diving is a perfect example lol
I think Harper was seriously pursued, didnt they bring him in for an interview and took him out to dinner? They just cheaped out on him and others

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Dumpster diving is a perfect example lol
I think Harper was seriously pursued, didnt they bring him in for an interview and took him out to dinner? They just cheaped out on him and others
No, he wasn't. They were all in on Machado. They knew exactly what Machado was going to get and played their fucking games with options and deferred money. They did meet with Harper and even put a White Sox Harper jersey on the Jordan statue at the UC but it was only to appear they were interested to look like they had options outside of Machado. As soon as he signed with San Diego it was reported they weren't going to make an offer to Harper. A year or so later Harper even said he was surprised the Sox didn't make him and offer because he was very interested in joining the team. It was embarrassing. Just like what Jerry and Co. did with LeBron when we was leaving Cleveland. IMO Harper was the better fit since day 1 and seeing what top line FA's are getting now Machado and Harper are both considered a value, especially at their ages at the time. Harper would have filled the hole in RF, added left handed pop and would have puts asses in the seats.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Grandal, Hendricks and Lynn are role (not roll) players.

Okay, we're done here.

Nothing will change your defeatist attitude, and that's okay

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

Hard to believe that 23 other teams spent less than the Sox, who don't spend.

Do you realize how fucking stupid you sound?

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
No, I actually don't.....because to your point...at the time these signings were made...you and everyone else was happy.

Now in hindsight, you want to cry and moan like a little bitch.

If you were unhappy at the time, I'd respect it....but to judge in hindsight? I have no respect for that...sorry, not sorry.

• Haha

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Grandal, Hendricks and Lynn are role (not roll) players.

Okay, we're done here.

Nothing will change your defeatist attitude, and that's okay
Grandal is not a middle of the order bat. Never has been. He is a high OBP, low BA player with occasional pop. Hendricks is a closer, you need to be in the lead most of the time to need a closer. A great luxury to have but not needed when you team has bigger holes. Lynn was an aging front line pitcher. He was never brought in to be the ace of the staff. He wasn't a Lester type pitcher when he was acquired. Yes, these are role players. When you have to revert to being the grammar police, you officially have no argument worth a shit. You want to stop hearing my opinion, stop tagging me in shit.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
No, I actually don't.....because to your point...at the time these signings were made...you and everyone else was happy.

Now in hindsight, you want to cry and moan like a little bitch.

If you were unhappy at the time, I'd respect it....but to judge in hindsight? I have no respect for that...sorry, not sorry.
Nah, I'll continue to cry and moan like a little bitch because it pisses you off.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Grandal is not a middle of the order bat. Never has been. He is a high OBP, low BA player with occasional pop. Hendricks is a closer, you need to be in the lead most of the time to need a closer. A great luxury to have but not needed when you team has bigger holes. Lynn was an aging front line pitcher. He was never brought in to be the ace of the staff. He wasn't a Lester type pitcher when he was acquired. Yes, these are role players. When you have to revert to being the grammar police, you officially have no argument worth a shit. You want to stop hearing my opinion, stop tagging me in shit.
Prior to joining the White Sox, Grandal posted three straight 20+ home run seasons. From the catcher position that's top tier. Wasn't aware that 20+ bombs is occasional pop....weird.

Hendricks has saved 37 & 38 games over the last 2 seasons. Good luck trying to win the whole thing without a closer....what were the Cubs thinking in 2016 trading for Chapman. IDIOTS!!!!!

Lynn finished 3rd in Cy Young voting in 21' and once he recovered from his injury last year he was dominate. Yup, he's aging for sure...wait, are Max and Verlander aging as well? I AM CONFUSED!!!!

Lynn wasn't brought here to be the ace, that role was taken care of by Giolito then Cease.....FUCK!

You'll never stop being heard from....they could go 162-0 and have an 11-0 postseason and you'd still be crying and moaning...that's just how you're being programmed.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Prior to joining the White Sox, Grandal posted three straight 20+ home run seasons. From the catcher position that's top tier. Wasn't aware that 20+ bombs is occasional pop....weird.

Hendricks has saved 37 & 38 games over the last 2 seasons. Good luck trying to win the whole thing without a closer....what were the Cubs thinking in 2016 trading for Chapman. IDIOTS!!!!!

Lynn finished 3rd in Cy Young voting in 21' and once he recovered from his injury last year he was dominate. Yup, he's aging for sure...wait, are Max and Verlander aging as well? I AM CONFUSED!!!!

Lynn wasn't brought here to be the ace, that role was taken care of by Giolito then Cease.....FUCK!

You'll never stop being heard from....they could go 162-0 and have an 11-0 postseason and you'd still be crying and moaning...that's just how you're being programmed.
Yeah, totally. All the people you bitch about on twitter, and me too, would "cry and moan like a little bitch" because the Sox are too good. Has nothing to do with not being able to get out the first round of the playoffs twice then following it up with a .500 season. Or needing to fill a RF hole since 2018. Or constantly signing/trading for bargain basement players in the middle of contention window when the GM sold the fanbase on "sustained success" and "the money will be spent". Ask him "after the parade". Yup Sox fans just love to bitch for no reason, got it.

Literally the only people defending this bullshit is you and employees of the White Sox. You just like to argue with people so you have taken this very weird stance on defending people who have no accountability to do their job well.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Yeah, totally. All the people you bitch about on twitter, and me too, would "cry and moan like a little bitch" because the Sox are too good. Has nothing to do with not being able to get out the first round of the playoffs twice then following it up with a .500 season. Or needing to fill a RF hole since 2018. Or constantly signing/trading for bargain basement players in the middle of contention window when the GM sold the fanbase on "sustained success" and "the money will be spent". Ask him "after the parade". Yup Sox fans just love to bitch for no reason, got it.

Literally the only people defending this bullshit is you and employees of the White Sox. You just like to argue with people so you have taken this very weird stance on defending people who have no accountability to do their job well.
Sustained success: Reached playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons.
The money will be spent: 7th in payroll in 2022
Ask him after the parade: Not sure why this comes up....what the fuck should the guy say when he's on the verge of the White Sox being a good team.

I'm not defending shit, I'm supplying FACTS to oppose your OPINIONS.

Lastly, when they break camp in March...and there are holes I'll be on board with the roasting....not in December 12th.

Even if you are a clueless fucking moron, I love you.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The money will be spent: 7th in payroll in 2022
Ask him after the parade: Not sure why this comes up....what the fuck should the guy say when he's on the verge of the White Sox being a good team.

I'm not defending shit, I'm supplying FACTS to oppose your OPINIONS.

Lastly, when they break camp in March...and there are holes I'll be on board with the roasting....not in December 12th.

The reason you love me is I can cheat on you as much as I want. As long as I tell you it will never happen again, you'll always believe me.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Giolotio an ace, since when? He had a great first half of the season in 2019. Wasnt he like 11-1, then Willie hit 2HR's off him including that Grand Slam. Giolito was never the same that year. Won what, 2-3 games after that. Has been a middle of the pack pitcher since then. Yours truly was at that game, loving every second of it

You said Grandal was arguably the top free agent catcher when the SUX signed him, but then said he was a role player. Biggest contract in SUX history, I think he was counted on more than being a role player. Dexter Fowler was a role player in 2016, thats what I envision a role player.

C3CC8BE3-BCED-41E7-92CC-62EE78625742.jpeg

2B567870-1495-4C75-966E-2358950CA419.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Didnt do dick in the playoffs, is not sustained success imo.
Not making the playoffs in the weakest division in baseball is also not sustained success

No homo, I think I'm falling in love with both of you

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Didnt do dick in the playoffs, is not sustained success imo.
Not making the playoffs in the weakest division in baseball is also not sustained success

No homo, I think I'm falling in love with both of you
Can't do dick in the playoffs unless you win your division correct?

Let's not pretend the NL Central is a powerhouse.....because it's not.

I Love You Friendship GIF by Academy of Country Music Awards

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
You lost me on that one.

Never said it was, but not winning the AL Central with that roster last year is fucking terrible.
You'll get no argument from me on that statement.

It wasn't just terrible, it was embarrassing.

2023 is the year that will define what this group is.

I'm tossing 22 out as they simply can't have all fallen off a cliff in the manner they did.

Thread Info