⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Lead Pipe Lead Pipe
Let me ask you this bro and not talking shit. Had this same conversation with my lil brother and one of my best friends last night via text.
Seeing SD moves the last 2 days and other teams moves, does that not piss you off as a SUX fan? Last 2 years the SUX have pretty much sought after and signed 2nd tier free agents. Never seriously made a move for a game changer. Last year everyone knew the moves to make were Castellanos and or Cole. Had the money for both and didnt make a run at either. This year Buaer, Springer, Ozuna all there for the taking. You guys sign Adam Eaton???? He is nowhere near the same Eaton you guys had a few years ago. Dont think he has played a full season since he left. I liked the signing as a role/bench player. But then I read he was your starting RF and I LOL because Springer is there. Signed Grandall when you had McCann

Both my Brother and my Buddie are pretty pissed that you guys havent made a serious run at a bonafide game changer. So are a bunch of guys I work with who are SUX fans.
It pissed me off when they fucked up the Machado signing then didn’t even offer Harper a deal. I didn’t want Castellanos or Cole. Springer is over rated. I’d like to see Bauer but I feel like he’ll regress quick in the next few seasons. Grandal was a great signing, McCann is a back up but no where near Grandal. That being said, it is annoying they haven’t landed the biggest fish of the offseason. They really haven’t spent and never will with Jerry as the owner. I live with it, they can still build a sustainable winner without signing the best free agent.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Bought this from a buddy that is a woodworker for a living. He posted it on his social media and started getting cubs "fans" asking if they could make the same sign but saying cubs on the bottom. Typical Cubs "fans" don't even realize it is a Sox symbol LOL!!!

download_20210129_133154~3.jpg

Reactions: guspech750

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Bought this from a buddy that is a woodworker for a living. He posted it on his social media and started getting cubs "fans" asking if they could make the same sign but saying cubs on the bottom. Typical Cubs "fans" don't even realize it is a Sox symbol LOL!!!

View attachment 80210
Pics or your full of shit. If true, I can promise you they arent Cub fans, and probably not even baseball fans
Jake Arrieta might be coming back to the Cubs.... Awful move if that happens....
Ricketts has turned in to a piece of shit lying MFer. Kills me to be a Cubs fan right now, but I'll ride or die with my team.
Few years ago he said he would dump all the profits back in to the team to stay competitive. Really looks that way.
I think he has been rubbing elbows with the jew bag that owns the SUX

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Aren’t most cunts fans not even baseball fans???
If your referring to everyone being on their cell phones and shit like that and not paying attention to the game.
Take a look around Guaranteed Rape next time your there. I went to a good amount of SUX games with my brother in 2019 and it was the exact same shit there.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So being this thread was bumped and I meant to ask this last week. Must have got busy and totally forgot.
So whats everyones thoughts on what Yermin did on the 3-0 count with a position player pitching?

I love the old school baseball mentality. Sliding spikes high, beaning a batter when warranted, barreling into the catcher etc. Not beaning a guy in the head but the rib cage is fine by me. I also enjoy the new school bat flips, pitchers getting pumped and celebrating etc. It brings some fun to the game imo.

However, I 100% agree with everything Larussa did and said. I would say the same if it was Javy Baez or anybody else. You DO NOT swing on a 3-0 count up over 10 runs late in a game. I dont give a fuck who is pitching. Its just bad sportsmanship imo. On top of that, you blatantly disregarded the take sign that was relayed to the 3rd base coach by your manager! 3-1 count, or 3-2 count, sure swing away, but not 3-0. On a 3-0 count no matter who is pitching, you can be pretty sure the pitcher is going to throw a "get me by" pitch. Something slower and right over the heart of the plate with no movement on it at all.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
So being this thread was bumped and I meant to ask this last week. Must have got busy and totally forgot.
So whats everyones thoughts on what Yermin did on the 3-0 count with a position player pitching?

I love the old school baseball mentality. Sliding spikes high, beaning a batter when warranted, barreling into the catcher etc. Not beaning a guy in the head but the rib cage is fine by me. I also enjoy the new school bat flips, pitchers getting pumped and celebrating etc. It brings some fun to the game imo.

However, I 100% agree with everything Larussa did and said. I would say the same if it was Javy Baez or anybody else. You DO NOT swing on a 3-0 count up over 10 runs late in a game. I dont give a fuck who is pitching. Its just bad sportsmanship imo. On top of that, you blatantly disregarded the take sign that was relayed to the 3rd base coach by your manager! 3-1 count, or 3-2 count, sure swing away, but not 3-0. On a 3-0 count no matter who is pitching, you can be pretty sure the pitcher is going to throw a "get me by" pitch. Something slower and right over the heart of the plate with no movement on it at all.
He shouldn't of ignored the sign BUT the other team already gave up. If you want to take BP, hit from the opposite side, blindfolded, whatever I see no issues with it. 8 run innings aren't uncommon. What if the White Sox gave up on offense and imploded? Then larussa says he was okay with them throwing at him the next game? The dude is off his rocker. You don't throw your player under the bus like that. You keep it in house.

Reactions: Fish

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
He shouldn't of ignored the sign BUT the other team already gave up. If you want to take BP, hit from the opposite side, blindfolded, whatever I see no issues with it. 8 run innings aren't uncommon. What if the White Sox gave up on offense and imploded? Then larussa says he was okay with them throwing at him the next game? The dude is off his rocker. You don't throw your player under the bus like that. You keep it in house.
I'm glad the Sox are playing so well but it's not because of Larussa

Reactions: Fish and guspech750

Jamesv82

Addict
TCG Premium
Mar 9, 2017
Fuck that, if he's up there and they are pitching to him let him swing. This is the game of baseball where stats matter. He's pitching and the count is 0-3, intentionally walk him then. Don't throw a grow man a lob ball over the plate and not expect him to swing. If he struck out how would that look for any batter.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Fuck that, if he's up there and they are pitching to him let him swing. This is the game of baseball where stats matter. He's pitching and the count is 0-3, intentionally walk him then. Don't throw a grow man a lob ball over the plate and not expect him to swing. If he struck out how would that look for any batter.
Freddie Freeman was struck out by Rizzo. People laughed including both of them and it was over with 2 days later. That’s the main reason Yermin disobeyed the take sign, was to pad his stats. It’s bad sportsmanship imo.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Minnesota wasnt scoring 8 runs that late in the game. As you said, they already gave up. Even worse, Larussa publicly called him clueless, lmmfao.

SUX will not win a WS with him managing. I don’t see him being fired during the season either. Jerry is known to be very loyal to his guys.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Freddie Freeman was struck out by Rizzo. People laughed including both of them and it was over with 2 days later. That’s the main reason Yermin disobeyed the take sign, was to pad his stats. It’s bad sportsmanship imo.
That home run and RBI is going to pad his stats and help him get a bigger raise in arbitration. If you don't want him to hit a home run don't give up, don't let d position player pitch. They were trying to get a competitive advantage for the future by saving a pitcher. Why shouldn't the other team have fun?

Reactions: Fish

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Minnesota wasnt scoring 8 runs that late in the game. As you said, they already gave up. Even worse, Larussa publicly called him clueless, lmmfao.

SUX will not win a WS with him managing. I don’t see him being fired during the season either. Jerry is known to be very loyal to his guys.
Even bad teams have big innings. You really want to play game 163 because you didn't want to hurt someone's feelings and gave up again a position player pitching? Were they likely to come back? Nah, but it isn't impossible.

Tony doesn't even remember the rules anymore. The first thing they said after the Cubs game today is, do you think Larussa knew the first baseman just has to touch the bag and not tag Javy? ?

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

To hell with LaRussa. I love old school baseball, bat flips, some showboating etc etc. but holding off because you’re team has a big lead? NO!! I’m an all in or GTFO the playing field type of person. There have been so many games in all sports where a team has a big lead and ends up losing. Swing away, go for the three point etc etc. run up the score until the end. The other team should play better plain and simple.

Reactions: Marko and Fish

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
To hell with LaRussa. I love old school baseball, bat flips, some showboating etc etc. but holding off because you’re team has a big lead? NO!! I’m an all in or GTFO the playing field type of person. There have been so many games in all sports where a team has a big lead and ends up losing. Swing away, go for the three point etc etc. run up the score until the end. The other team should play better plain and simple.
Exactly. This isn't recreational softball. And hell, even then we only go base to base so we don't get caught short by the slaughter rule

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
giphy.gif

If this was football, basketball, hockey, bowling, croquet, anything else there wouldnt be any discussion. However, "old school baseball" comes into play and it divides the fanbase. This isnt 1952 and Hank Sauer isnt the starting outfielder for the C.ompletely U.seless B.y S.eptembers. Throw a meatball down the middle, its instinct to swing. Dont tell me its not. Id rather ground out than take a meatball strike. Dont care if Im winning by 10+, dont care if Im losing by 10+.

You play till the final seconds/outs.

giphy.gif

Thread Info