⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I have a 1:30 teams meeting with Hahn, Williams and Griffol...I'll let you know.
How did your meeting go? Mine went very well and I'll take the bet.
$100 the Cubs make the playoffs, meaning anything that MLB calls the playoffs
$100 the SUX wont make it to the ALCS

Just for the record as I dont want to hear, "this idiot actually thought the Cubs would make the playoffs". Yes its a long shot and they will need a lot of shit to go their way to make it. I'm hoping they make it, but dont have much faith in it happening this year. I'm only taking the bet as i know thats the only way you will take the ALCS bet and it will make the season more interesting for both of us.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Apples and oranges. You're generic with the Cubs, but a specific benchmark with the Sox. To be fair it would have to be both make it to the ALCS/NLCS or both just make it to whatever is considered "playoffs" even if that includes a final regular season game to qualify from your respective division.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Apples and oranges. You're generic with the Cubs, but a specific benchmark with the Sox. To be fair it would have to be both make it to the ALCS/NLCS or both just make it to whatever is considered "playoffs" even if that includes a final regular season game to qualify from your respective division.
I proposed a $100 bet the SUX wouldnt make it to the ALCS, he countered with $100 the Cubs wont make the playoffs.
Nobody in their right mind would bet $100 the Cubs make it to the NLCS, they are going to be lucky to be around a .500 team

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
How did your meeting go? Mine went very well and I'll take the bet.
$100 the Cubs make the playoffs, meaning anything that MLB calls the playoffs
$100 the SUX wont make it to the ALCS

Just for the record as I dont want to hear, "this idiot actually thought the Cubs would make the playoffs". Yes its a long shot and they will need a lot of shit to go their way to make it. I'm hoping they make it, but dont have much faith in it happening this year. I'm only taking the bet as i know thats the only way you will take the ALCS bet and it will make the season more interesting for both of us.
rebels season 3 episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Reactions: Shawn1112

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Because history tells him so, they have won 3 playoff series the last 100 years, all in 2005
Yet, 2005 happened....along with 2016 and even 1985 :ROFLMAO:

This isn't a 100 loss squad, which you would be out of your mind to think they can get to ALCS.

If things fall right for the Cubs, they can be a wildcard team, it's not out of the question....and at +600 they might be worth putting a couple of $$$ down on.

The biggest hurdle for the Sox is health.

The other hurdle was removed and replaced.

If they stay healthy they will 100% win the central, because the talent is 100% there.

In the postseason, it's all about pitching.

1. Cease (Cy Young Jr.) 2. Lynn (CC Sabathia Jr.) 3. Giolito (Greg Maddux Jr.) /Kopech (Nolan Ryan Jr.) and a top shelf pen.

If they get in, they can make some noise, it's not outlandish.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Also, I thought (on paper), last year was supposed to be "our year" and then the Sox said "hold my beer..."
Every year is their year if you listen to Williams and Hahn. Traded Tatis for James Big Game Shields because "it was their year"
can you guys start calling eachother names or do we gotta wait for may for that
Oh its coming, wait until June or July though

• Love
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Also, I thought (on paper), last year was supposed to be "our year" and then the Sox said "hold my beer..."
TLR and the insane amount of injuries said that.

In 2021 this core group won 93 games.

The 2023 Team is better than the 21 edition.

Again it's not outlandish.

If your car runs 10.80, 10.80 and 12.00 are you thinking you have a 12 second car?

Because the 20 and 21 Sox were a very solid crew.....you're judging 23' on 22 alone?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
TLR and the insane amount of injuries said that.

In 2021 this core group won 93 games.

The 2023 Team is better than the 21 edition.

Again it's not outlandish.

If your car runs 10.80, 10.80 and 12.00 are you thinking you have a 12 second car?

Because the 20 and 21 Sox were a very solid crew.....you're judging 23' on 22 alone?
Much like the Bears, I'm a pessimist until proven otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggerorange73

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Every year is their year if you listen to Williams and Hahn. Traded Tatis for James Big Game Shields because "it was their year"

Oh its coming, wait until June or July though
I strongly disagree.

After the Shields shit show....they tore the dumpster fire down to studs in 2016 and never once said shit until we got to 2020.

Again, if I was saying stupid shit like this coming off a 90 loss plus season (Kinda like going 3-14) then yes....I'd be out of my mind.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yet, 2005 happened....along with 2016 and even 1985 :ROFLMAO:

This isn't a 100 loss squad, which you would be out of your mind to think they can get to ALCS.

If things fall right for the Cubs, they can be a wildcard team, it's not out of the question....and at +600 they might be worth putting a couple of $$$ down on.

The biggest hurdle for the Sox is health.

The other hurdle was removed and replaced.

If they stay healthy they will 100% win the central, because the talent is 100% there.

In the postseason, it's all about pitching.

1. Cease (Cy Young Jr.) 2. Lynn (CC Sabathia Jr.) 3. Giolito (Greg Maddux Jr.) /Kopech (Nolan Ryan Jr.) and a top shelf pen.

If they get in, they can make some noise, it's not outlandish.
Who said they SUX were a 100 loss team this year, I mean they did lose 95 and 100 games in back to back season not to long ago.

The other hurdle meaning TLR, because IIRC you defended him in the past and said it wasnt his fault.

I sure hope they can win the AL Central, its not a very strong division.

I see what you did while talking about your pitching staff lmmfao

Yup, they sure have made noise the last few times they got in, I'm with you on that

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
Who said they SUX were a 100 loss team this year, I mean they did lose 95 and 100 games in back to back season not to long ago.

The other hurdle meaning TLR, because IIRC you defended him in the past and said it wasnt his fault.

I sure hope they can win the AL Central, its not a very strong division.

I see what you did while talking about your pitching staff lmmfao

Yup, they sure have made noise the last few times they got in, I'm with you on that
It's not outlandish for a team with the Sox talent to make the ALCS. Some folks are acting like they won't win 75 games......last year so much went sideways, and they still posted 81 wins with a shot to take the division in September despite all of that. My point is, it's not an insane bet to make.

I did defend the LaRussa hire, and his actions to a point last season.....people were on his nuts when the players were shitting down their legs last season. As more and more players are speaking up, it's clear TLR 100% lost the clubhouse, and they were rudderless in the clubhouse. It's also very clear Pito wasn't the leader he was made out to be either. The new guy is saying and doing all the "right" things to this point. Talk is cheap and the rubber meets the road starting tomorrow night.

As I said, if they stay healthy, they will win the division pretty easily.....if not, it's going to be a struggle again. If that happens, then major revisions need to happen in the following offseason.

20' was the first exposure for them....they won a game, and between Ricky and lack of a real #3 starter they got bounced. Great experience for them.

21' They were fucked....Lynn was their best pitcher and Houston owned his ass.....McCullers owned the Sox....in a 5 game set with 2 against McCullers they had no margin for error. Personally I would have lined up Lynn against McCullers, but TLR thought different.

Also to be fair, the Astros are a VERY good baseball team....and showed you that by disposing of the pretty sound Yankees squad like they did last playoff.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
It's not outlandish for a team with the Sox talent to make the ALCS. Some folks are acting like they won't win 75 games......last year so much went sideways, and they still posted 81 wins with a shot to take the division in September despite all of that. My point is, it's not an insane bet to make.

I did defend the LaRussa hire, and his actions to a point last season.....people were on his nuts when the players were shitting down their legs last season. As more and more players are speaking up, it's clear TLR 100% lost the clubhouse, and they were rudderless in the clubhouse. It's also very clear Pito wasn't the leader he was made out to be either. The new guy is saying and doing all the "right" things to this point. Talk is cheap and the rubber meets the road starting tomorrow night.

As I said, if they stay healthy, they will win the division pretty easily.....if not, it's going to be a struggle again. If that happens, then major revisions need to happen in the following offseason.

20' was the first exposure for them....they won a game, and between Ricky and lack of a real #3 starter they got bounced. Great experience for them.

21' They were fucked....Lynn was their best pitcher and Houston owned his ass.....McCullers owned the Sox....in a 5 game set with 2 against McCullers they had no margin for error. Personally I would have lined up Lynn against McCullers, but TLR thought different.

Also to be fair, the Astros are a VERY good baseball team....and showed you that by disposing of the pretty sound Yankees squad like they did last playoff.
If they win 75 games they better fire everyone and blow the team up

Again, not a very tough division

So not having a left handed starting pitcher isnt going to bite them in the ass?
How many lefties in the pen, is Bummer ready for opening day?
They will both will be in the starting line up tomorrow night.
One with a bad back and another with known leg issues, we will see how long that lasts especially in the cold.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Real Name
Mike
If they win 75 games they better fire everyone and blow the team up

Again, not a very tough division

So not having a left handed starting pitcher isnt going to bite them in the ass?
How many lefties in the pen, is Bummer ready for opening day?

One with a bad back and another with known leg issues, we will see how long that lasts especially in the cold.
I 100% agree with your take on 75 wins.

Only time will tell on the LH starter, Noah Schultz is a top lefty arm in the minors and they could always add at the deadline if needed.

Bummer, Crochet and Diekman in the pen. (Crochet by May I believe)

I think the majority of the early games are in favorable locations outside of Shitcago.

Thread Info