Official TCG Bank Thread

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I was gonna post this in the Bored thread, but I really need some forum support on this. In September my Bank of America debit card was hacked. They charged over $4,000 worth of shit mostly from Walmart online. I don't have a Walmart online account. BOA took care of everything, and I didn't get charged any of the fraudulent charges. November, I get the fraudulent text message. Walmart $13.66. Debit card closed. BOA sent me a new debit card with a new number. Credited for charge. Earlier this week, again fraudulent alert. Walmart $13.66. Card shut down was sent a new card new number. BOA gave me the number for Walmart Plus membership to get it cancelled. Remember I don't have an account with them. Called Walmart and they can't help me because I don't have an account with my emails or my phones. They are no help.

Today, I am arriving at my house and see UPS delivering my new BOA debit card. I go online to activate the card and see another charge from Walmart. When I call them to report, dewd at BOA is like "wow, it's the new debit card number".... that I haven't even activated yet. I tell him I am leaving BOA because they can't even help me. They finally placed a stop payment on Walmart. They offered to open new accounts for me. FU.

So....what banks do you use? I have been with BOA for 25 years. Chase? I am very basic. I just need bill pay option.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
sex ed mic GIF

• Love
Reactions: GLADIATOR

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Another vote for Chase. They've been great and I haven't had any issues.

Sounds like something at Walmart is setup directly to withdraw from your BoA account. When you get issued a new debit card your account number stays the same, so either you have something from Walmart or someone has your account number and not just your debit card number IMO.

A new account with BoA would probably solve the problem, but sounds like they aren't doing much so a new bank might be the better option.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Been with Chase for a long time, started with a local bank that they acquired, so close to 45 years.

First, stop using a debit card. Do not ever use a debit card. That shit comes directly from your checking account. If you have to, use it as a credit card (using the chip reader or tap), since it will be either a VISA (typical) or MasterCard.

Chase gave me a debit card which is only used in the very rare occasion I have to use an ATM for cash. Otherwise it's usually locked up at home.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Another vote for Chase. They've been great and I haven't had any issues.

Sounds like something at Walmart is setup directly to withdraw from your BoA account. When you get issued a new debit card your account number stays the same, so either you have something from Walmart or someone has your account number and not just your debit card number IMO.

A new account with BoA would probably solve the problem, but sounds like they aren't doing much so a new bank might be the better option.
This is the only explanation. Considering the bank should know that and BoA is clueless, I'd run.

Another +1 for Chase, have had them since I dropped shitty TCF like 10+ years ago.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Chase here. We love their banking app as well.
My debt card was hacked a couple of months ago. It didn’t go thru as Chase texted me asking to approve the charge. Declined it and it was canceled immediately. I had a new debt card in my apple wallet in minutes. New card in the mail about a week later.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Explain this like I am a boomer who still uses a flip phone
The only way a fraudulent charge can appear on a new debit card number means that they MUST have access to your account, they must have had your Routing and Account#, or even worse, access to your bank account itself. Which means after your card was cancelled, and replaced, then a charge appeared using the NEW debit card# means they STILL have access.

Change your passwords, change your security questions, enable Multi-Factor Authentication.

Change your email password, and change EVERY single password you have with any sort of Financial or other institution that deals with your PII.

Hackers use your PII to impersonate you and open shit in your name. This data can be obtained by hacking email accounts, or malicious attachments in emails. It can also be stolen from websites in larger hacks and sold on the Dark Web. I know for a fact my shit is out there because my work got hacked, and part of that WAS my PII data. You can't put that Genie back in the bottle. Its out forever now in the world.

What is PII?

As far as wiping your devices? That may not be necessary, especially if its not the device that's compromised, but instead an account on a website. Its also a much bigger pain in the ass than just changing all of your passwords.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Example of bullshit phishing attempts. This looks PRETTY close to a true Xfinity email.
Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 5.55.33 PM.png

BUT, here's a clue. The "Manage Account" link in the email goes some bullshit obscured URL. Where does it really go? No clue, I'd have to follow it, but that's red flag #2.
Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 5.56.14 PM.png

Red Flag#1: WTF kind of email address is this? If its really from Xfinity the Domain should be [email protected]. The email address they are sending it to SHOULD be MY registered email address. Instead, neither match the to/from email addresses it should be.

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 5.57.25 PM.png

They really try to prey on the fear aspect with shit like "make a payment in 24hours OR ELSE" tactics. So, what do you do if you think it might be real? DON'T click on the link.

Open a web-browser, go DIRECTLY to xfinity.com (or insert other business website) and log in directly there. Check your balance or transaction history there. Since this is a phishing email attempting to get my Xfinity credentials, they WANT me to click the link, then plug in my Xfinity user and password. From there I assume they will take me to some bullshit "pay bill" page and try to trick me into entering my credit card information.

My Xfinity bill is paid automatically on the 20th of every month. And I can either check my bank for the withdrawal, or I can look at Xfinity's website.

And oh look, here is another phishing attempt the tried early December.
Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 6.09.57 PM.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info