Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think we had one like this in the past but I'm not gonna look it up and starting fresh never hurts.

I pretty much don't work on my cars anymore. Mostly b/c I can afford to pay someone, partly b/c I'm super lazy and so on.

For DSM work (Evo, 1gs, 2gs, etc), I strongly recommend R&D in Carol Stream. They did all the work on my Evo and you all saw how that thing ran. No in house dyno, but they offer extensive tuning options.

For eurotrash cars and everything else (they work on old muscle, new muscle, etc), I've been going to Komet in St Charles. Knowledgeable, fast turn around, solid pricing. They also have an AWD dyno which helps for tuning. They do not do in house tuning over there.

When I had the Supra, the car was over at Sound Performance once when my driveshaft decided to almost back out :rofl:, great work over there but everyone knows that. I also worked with A.D. Motorsportz in Huntley. Adam is super smart and extremely helpful. I assume they're still open but I havent spoken with them in some time.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
For anything LS related as well as DSM/Evo I would highly recommend Geared Up motorsports in New Lenox, IL.

They are located in the old building where straightline performance used to be.

Super awesome guys. They are the only ones who work on my car now and tune it. Their tune was night and day over another local shop around here, and they also (for free) cleaned up a lot of wiring and random zip ties that this previous shop left all over my car as well.

Owners name is Brandon.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Was doing business with Tom Izzo when he was running it out of his garage in Streamwood back when he first started Speed Inc. (At which time, I think it was "LS1Speed").

I just had someone recommend Komet to me in regards to my exhaust manifold on the Cadillac as there is simply no time I have to do it and I wouldn't be surprised if step #2 is "drop the front subframe to get access..." because there is zero room there. :D

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Was doing business with Tom Izzo when he was running it out of his garage in Streamwood back when he first started Speed Inc. (At which time, I think it was "LS1Speed").

I just had someone recommend Komet to me in regards to my exhaust manifold on the Cadillac as there is simply no time I have to do it and I wouldn't be surprised if step #2 is "drop the front subframe to get access..." because there is zero room there. :D
If you call over, tell him Mike OMalley with the Golf R sent ya. Maybe he'll help on price, haha.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
What about someone that could do general work, on the north side? I'd love to throw it Jeff's way, but he's an hour+ away...

I know A & L in Palatine has been brought up before.

Possibly looking to have shop put back together a project I've started, but just need off my plate (Subaru head gasket job)

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
What about someone that could do general work, on the north side? I'd love to throw it Jeff's way, but he's an hour+ away...

Possibly looking to have shop put back together a project I've started, but just need off my plate (Subaru head gasket job)

A&L did great work for me a couple years ago.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago

This is our shop...(my bros and I)..ill let the reviews speak for themselves

https://www.yelp.com/biz/accurate-auto-repair-skokie-4

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
For anything LS related as well as DSM/Evo I would highly recommend Geared Up motorsports in New Lenox, IL.

They are located in the old building where straightline performance used to be.

Super awesome guys. They are the only ones who work on my car now and tune it. Their tune was night and day over another local shop around here, and they also (for free) cleaned up a lot of wiring and random zip ties that this previous shop left all over my car as well.

Owners name is Brandon.

Geared Up is great. They know Mustangs well too and are familiar with most standalone ECUs. They tuned my sbf fox body with Holley EFI and it runs great. They also installed my Wolfe racecraft roll cage and it turned out really nice.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Another little hole in the wall mom & pop shop in downtown Elgin that I've had a few Emergency things done, because again, no time to do them myself... And he's extremely reasonable on labor and quick turn around.

Jims Towing @ 215 W. Chicago St., Elgin, IL.

Literally a little hole in the wall. The guy has also told me he is completely cool with me bringing in my own parts and he would do the installs.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Another little hole in the wall mom & pop shop in downtown Elgin that I've had a few Emergency things done, because again, no time to do them myself... And he's extremely reasonable on labor and quick turn around.

Jims Towing @ 215 W. Chicago St., Elgin, IL.

Literally a little hole in the wall. The guy has also told me he is completely cool with me bringing in my own parts and he would do the installs.
Jim is awesome. My buddy is a close family friend.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I don’t know why I haven’t thought about hitting up a more aftermarket oriented shop to get the Focus fixed. I have purchased all the parts but don’t currently have the time/space to do it myself. Perhaps I’ll have to hit up Komet, I’m sure they’re ok with me supplying the parts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info