🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Maybe get an independent appraisal and knock them off of each other?
We're thinking it's going to go that way but more as a "even if you got a conventional offer, they're still going to tell you you're too high" kind of thing. Let them get an independent appraisal to bring them back to earth.

They'd need have a cash buyer willing to buy at what they're asking and they haven't gotten ANY other offers, let alone showings.

OH that was the other thing. Our agent talked to their agent and ours asked how they arrived at their asking price. "They basically just said 'this is what we want' with no reason or comps to back it up."

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
OH that was the other thing. Our agent talked to their agent and ours asked how they arrived at their asking price. "They basically just said 'this is what we want' with no reason or comps to back it up."

That mindset may have worked 6 months ago but this market is turning very quickly.
I thought you were super in love with this place and wanted it badly.

I agree with your thought process, let them get their own appraisal to make this a realistic discussion. Or move tf on.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
That mindset may have worked 6 months ago but this market is turning very quickly.
I thought you were super in love with this place and wanted it badly.

I agree with your thought process, let them get their own appraisal to make this a realistic discussion. Or move tf on.
Nah, that was the first house. This one we like but if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.

Reactions: Jon01

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
VA home inspections are always the worst from what I hear, I know a someone buying a house in elmwood park on a VA loan, VA home inspection was so intense the flagged the caulking around the windows as not being sealed properly, hot water heater was dirty, grout wasn’t secured in bathroom, etc… they picked the house apart, the buyers and sellers agreed to just walk away and all escrow was given back.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Exactly what I feared may be happening.

VA appraiser (who’s been a total dick, btw) said he’s essentially “throwing his hands up” because the house won’t appraise for the offer price. It’s sounding like a pretty large discrepancy.

We have a couple options in our minds and our agent is going to do some digging for us. We JUST went over the inspection earlier today and have a laundry list of things we feel should be taken care of. One option we’re thinking is that we’ll buy the house as-is with all the issues but only pay what the appraiser says it’s worth. Talking 5-10k worth of work. Small shit, nothing major as the house itself is in good condition.

Another POTENTIAL option is the house we lowballed the fuck out of. They had an open house this past Saturday. I asked our agent to look into if any offers have been made. None. And it’s still sitting at 375, 3+ weeks after our offer.

FUN

No surprise there.

The boomers probably listed the house for some crazy number hoping for a cash offer forgetting the area that they are in. In this market, if a house is not under contract a few days after going on up for sale I feel like something is wrong with it. This probably would be a good example. An asking price that wouldn't appraise out. I feel like a good realtor would have been able to tell you that tho...

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Slight glimmer of hope and an update. Listing agent sent over three "comps" to the appraiser last night. Really only one is a comp but with half the land and slightly larger house. The other two are way larger houses with a postage stamp lot and larger hose with double the land. We're going to get his report tomorrow on whether he changed his mind or not. We got quotes to repair the windows as well as have an electrician come in and unfuck the breaker panel (14/2 wiring on 20A breakers, just replace them with 15A breakers and call it a day) that I'll likely do myself but we just want to rack up the "repair" bill as we said we'd cover 5k of it and anything over the sellers agreed to fix.

The other side of it as I mentioned, if the appraisal comes in low, the listing agent seems to be pretty level headed. We're thinking he'll talk some sense into the sellers and we'll buy low but buy the house as-is and have them fix nothing. I'd rather buy the house for multiple tens of thousands cheaper and dump 10k into it vs buying multiple tens of thousands more and them only fixing 2k on top of our 5k.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Slight glimmer of hope and an update. Listing agent sent over three "comps" to the appraiser last night. Really only one is a comp but with half the land and slightly larger house. The other two are way larger houses with a postage stamp lot and larger hose with double the land. We're going to get his report tomorrow on whether he changed his mind or not. We got quotes to repair the windows as well as have an electrician come in and unfuck the breaker panel (14/2 wiring on 20A breakers, just replace them with 15A breakers and call it a day) that I'll likely do myself but we just want to rack up the "repair" bill as we said we'd cover 5k of it and anything over the sellers agreed to fix.

The other side of it as I mentioned, if the appraisal comes in low, the listing agent seems to be pretty level headed. We're thinking he'll talk some sense into the sellers and we'll buy low but buy the house as-is and have them fix nothing. I'd rather buy the house for multiple tens of thousands cheaper and dump 10k into it vs buying multiple tens of thousands more and them only fixing 2k on top of our 5k.

fight them comps.

selling both my houses i did and made it happen. fight fight fight

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
fight them comps.

selling both my houses i did and made it happen. fight fight fight
Our realtor told the listing agent she only agreed with one of the comps (the one I mentioned). She's been pretty awesome for us and knows we're trying like fuck to buy a house. And, you know, she has a vested interest in us getting a house. :rofl:

It's up to the VA appraiser at this point. I have a feeling he MAY have the same thought of the two other houses not being comps.

Reactions: Jon01 and Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Our realtor told the listing agent she only agreed with one of the comps (the one I mentioned). She's been pretty awesome for us and knows we're trying like fuck to buy a house. And, you know, she has a vested interest in us getting a house. :rofl:

i submitted comps my realtor(s) missed.... like HEY WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Most realtors are so fucking inept and incompetent.
Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

Thread Info