🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I've posted this before but here's an update. This house has gone from asking $1.3m (a year ago) down to $950k and it still won't sell for that. That's $184/ft for a giant ranch with a 4 car garage on a 6 acre lot.

Dude will easily lose $150k on this house, probably much more than that actually (especially when you factor in interest). Moral of the story: DON'T BUILD AN UGLY ASS HOUSE.

I wouldn’t say that’s an ugly ass house, but rather it’s being hindered by location. The market probably doesn’t support a house like that in Crown Vic, Indiana.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I've posted this before but here's an update. This house has gone from asking $1.3m (a year ago) down to $950k and it still won't sell for that. That's $184/ft for a giant ranch with a 4 car garage on a 6 acre lot.

Dude will easily lose $150k on this house, probably much more than that actually (especially when you factor in interest). Moral of the story: DON'T BUILD AN UGLY ASS HOUSE.

I drove by it. I legit. Don't think it's bad At all

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I wouldn’t say that’s an ugly ass house, but rather it’s being hindered by location. The market probably doesn’t support a house like that in Crown Vic, Indiana.

giphy.gif

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You would be surprised
I drove by it. I legit. Don't think it's bad At all
Man look at other $1m houses, they're all beautiful. That house looks like a fancy oil change place

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It’s a good looking house but no way it’s worth that. That’s a solid 650k house I would say in today’s market. Nothing about that says million dollar home. Standard rooms, underwhelming kitchen for the price, typical flooring nothing drop dead high end. Standard appliances etc, idk I’d laugh if someone I knew said they paid a million for that. You got taken

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
That home in Indiana boo foo is posted for a million,

I realize the home I posted below is 1.6 million asking price, but it’s 10 mins from me, in a desirable area. Few mins to Yorkville and prob under an hour to Chicago depending on traffic. So adjust the price a bit because it’s in the Chicago suburbs

This is a million dollar home, not that basic overpriced house in Indiana.

Take a look at this home I found on Realtor.com
7126 Roberts Ct, Oswego
$1,695,000 · 5beds · 6.5baths

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That home in Indiana boo foo is posted for a million,

I realize the home I posted below is 1.6 million asking price, but it’s 10 mins from me, in a desirable area. Few mins to Yorkville and prob under an hour to Chicago depending on traffic. So adjust the price a bit because it’s in the Chicago suburbs

This is a million dollar home, not that basic overpriced house in Indiana.

Take a look at this home I found on Realtor.com
7126 Roberts Ct, Oswego
$1,695,000 · 5beds · 6.5baths

Good example of an IL tax mansion that won’t sell for anywhere near what it would cost to build due to taxes. They had it listed for 2.2, then 1.9, now 1.7 and it prob still won’t sell

It would cost an easy $2.5-3mil to build that house

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Good example of an IL tax mansion that won’t sell for anywhere near what it would cost to build due to taxes. They had it listed for 2.2, then 1.9, now 1.7 and it prob still won’t sell

It would cost an easy $2.5-3mil to build that house

I realize it was a little more dollar wise, but the home I posted was a million dollar home. It’s baller, total custom and just kick ass. The Indiana one is an everyday house you would find out here in nicer areas. Not one thing about it says anything more than 650k and that’s pushing it because of the land.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I realize it was a little more dollar wise, but the home I posted was a million dollar home. It’s baller, total custom and just kick ass. The Indiana one is an everyday house you would find out here in nicer areas. Not one thing about it says anything more than 650k and that’s pushing it because of the land.
I really don't know why you're comparing the two. The indiana house prob cost $900k to build and is brand new, if you built that IL house today it would cost easily $3 million. It's only discounted because it's 14 years old and the taxes on it are sky-high.

Comparing IL to IN new construction houses makes perfect sense. Comparing 15 year old mansions between IL and IN makes sense. Comparing a 15 year old mansion in IL to a new construction house in IN makes no sense.

I actually drove past that IN house today. The builder really just made a lot of bad decisions. Location isn't great, truth be told most people buying a 900k house don't want 6 acres, it's ugly when compared to other houses at that price point, etc. It's comical that he originally thought he would sell it for $1.3m ?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Idk. I guess I just don’t see how that’s 900k of a home. Not one thing in the photos says high end. It looks like a normal 500k house you would find around here, just with a bigger garage and little bigger foot print.

Or this is just a good example of a 600k house that cost 900k to build and whoever buys it will lose their ass.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Idk. I guess I just don’t see how that’s 900k of a home. Not one thing in the photos says high end. It looks like a normal 500k house you would find around here, just with a bigger garage and little bigger foot print.

Or this is just a good example of a 600k house that cost 900k to build and whoever buys it will lose their ass.
I agree. If we do some ballpark math it easily approaches $900k in cost though. A ranch with decent finishes costs $225/ft to build nowadays (excl finished basement), so if you itemize it I can see how you get there

6 acre lot probably $150k
$225/ft for 2800 ft main level (I'm guessing on the main level sq ft here, but it's prob close) = $630k
Finished basement = $70k
That's $850k and I'm probably being conservative on most of the guesses

guy just did a bad job choosing how much house to build, what to make it look like, and where to build it.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would agree. I love a ranch. Wife and I wanted to build one, but unfortunately it just didn’t make sense budget wise. To have the size and quality we have now would have been 700-800k in a ranch.

I would have just like to see more custom finishes in that home. Hell my kitchen now would put it to shame (not trying to flex just an observation) and my home was 600k when it was new (not what we paid)

Ranches also come with higher taxes at least in this shit hole state. Makes me sad just thinking about it.

Not my taste. To each their own. Someone will buy it in this market.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I know you already know YAJYAK but this is the house I got baited into contacting a realtor about:

Too good to be true? 3200sqft for 220k near Schofield/Wausau? Because it is. Needs roof and windows. Roof leaks in heavy wind/rain. And the seller is "taking offers until Sept 2." So of course some big swinging Blackrock cock gunna offer him 350 and he'll take it and fucking run.
And contingent. Curious to see what it sells for. As I said, I'm betting someone came in and offered 300+ despite the issues.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
An update on our real estate BS.

After our buyers backed out 1 week before closing (we still don’t know why), we were still able to go forward with buying and moving into our new, current house down here in Hilton Head. We put our house on the actual market and it’s working through the process still (we priced a bit high, but will adjust). But now I receive a call from my agent that they received a call from someone that came through an open house and was injured on my property. The injured person allege that my first porch step was too high (they stated they noticed this when they walked up and into the house) and when they were leaving, the person stepped down and injured both their ankles... trip to ER, missing work days, physical therapy, incredible pain, etc... now I need to deal with this horseshit.

Btw, anyone know if potentially any liability should be covered by the brokerage company since they were hosting?

Super ready to close this chapter on living in northern VA and burn the book.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
An update on our real estate BS.

After our buyers backed out 1 week before closing (we still don’t know why), we were still able to go forward with buying and moving into our new, current house down here in Hilton Head. We put our house on the actual market and it’s working through the process still (we priced a bit high, but will adjust). But now I receive a call from my agent that they received a call from someone that came through an open house and was injured on my property. The injured person allege that my first porch step was too high (they stated they noticed this when they walked up and into the house) and when they were leaving, the person stepped down and injured both their ankles... trip to ER, missing work days, physical therapy, incredible pain, etc... now I need to deal with this horseshit.

Btw, anyone know if potentially any liability should be covered by the brokerage company since they were hosting?

Super ready to close this chapter on living in northern VA and burn the book.
Tell them anyone that frail is better off dead anyways, the docs should pull the plug

How the fuck is it even possible to Injure both ankles at the same time when you’re just walking

Thread Info