🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It wasn't so much the taxes themselves, but the location. We were there on a breezy day and it sounded like someone was popping popcorn with those power lines.

I'm prepared to pay $7,000 ish for what I'm looking for, but I'm not going to live in the shitty corner of FRG just to say I live there lol.

That's what I'm going for. Small house, larger barn. Whether it's already there or I have to do a steel building.

I'll put a double-wide on that bitch for all I care.

i guess im confused, i thought you were looking at a lot on the upper chain as well, near antioch or something

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Now in IL you start off as a Broker, they eliminated the Salesperson license. Then, after two years, you can get the Managing Broker license and go out on your own.

I'm doing my Managing license now just because I had to do Continuing Ed anyways, but I don't think I'm ready to go out on my own yet. The requirements for a brokerage are kind of a pain in the ass when it comes to record-keeping...So it's kind of convenient for me to pay Rutenberg $35/month and not have to deal with it.

If and when I get to the point where I'm closing a ton of deals every month, then yeah, it'll be worth it to just hire an assistant to handle all of that and go out on my own.

right on, 10 years ago I took a full agents course just for the knowledge and possibility of side work or going after broker status but the time couldn't be further divided up to pursue it further.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Is the market coming back enough at this point to make being a realtor a worthwhile thing again?

I'm in a position where I'm more or less hedging my bets. When the market is good, traditional real estate is good. When the market is bad, we're buying and flipping a ton of foreclosures(we do this when the market is good too, the supply just dries up a little)

But yeah, the market is solid right now. I've had no issues getting good money for all of the properties we've rehabbed, save for a few that sat on the market a little longer than expected.

This being an election year will screw things up a bit, it always does.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
i've come to terms that im going to be spending 8-10k on property taxes... sort of just accepted it.

how much were the property taxes on that empty lot?

that doesn't surprise me about that home in FRG for property taxes either
4.5 car garage hurts that

When looking at property tax on homes in IL, I would suggest to not just look at the tax history as the assessor's value could be way off. So estimate future taxes yourself. Take 1/3rd of what you're going to pay for the property (assessed value), subtract 6,000 from that (homeowner exemption), and then multiply it by the most recent tax rate for that house (western burbs at like 7-11% IIRC). Maybe increase the tax rate 3-5% as rates usually increase.

Then you have a better property tax estimate as it's the value of the house that drives the tax more. And what you're paying for it is a good, quick estimate of value for a home.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
If it makes you guys feel better, I know a guy that bought a $20k house for a rental...The taxes are $8k per year. The city is always gloating about how balanced their budget is too...lol

edit: It's Park Forest if you want to look it up yourself. It's absolutely insane.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When looking at property tax on homes in IL, I would suggest to not just look at the tax history as the assessor's value could be way off. So estimate future taxes yourself. Take 1/3rd of what you're going to pay for the property (assessed value), subtract 6,000 from that (homeowner exemption), and then multiply it by the most recent tax rate for that house (western burbs at like 7-11% IIRC). Maybe increase the tax rate 3-5% as rates usually increase.

Then you have a better property tax estimate as it's the value of the house that drives the tax more. And what you're paying for it is a good, quick estimate of value for a home.

PM SENT.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
i wonder if it was harder, or just a different type of sales, that paid out differently.

Bingo.

When the average red-lipstick/nametag Realtor was freaking out and refusing to adapt, we were buying and selling HUD homes like they were going out of style. Totally different process than traditional real estate, but more lucrative.

HUD is completely dead now. All those red-lipstick realtors jumped in too late and now they're fighting over the scraps.

2012 was our last good year for that, and we flipped just over 100 houses.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
:rofl: over the red-lipstick'rs avoiding reality and refusing to adapt

lipstick.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Bingo.

When the average red-lipstick/nametag Realtor was freaking out and refusing to adapt, we were buying and selling HUD homes like they were going out of style. Totally different process than traditional real estate, but more lucrative.

HUD is completely dead now. All those red-lipstick realtors jumped in too late and now they're fighting over the scraps.

2012 was our last good year for that, and we flipped just over 100 houses.

Holy crap.... 100?

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Looking into houses right now rather unexpectedly, lease not being renewed in June, so the fiancé and I are exploring buying. Already looking at a few places this weekend in Wheaton and Downers Grove so we'll see how that goes. Biggest concern is finding the right mortgage, closing costs, fees and all.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If it makes you guys feel better, I know a guy that bought a $20k house for a rental...The taxes are $8k per year. The city is always gloating about how balanced their budget is too...lol

edit: It's Park Forest if you want to look it up yourself. It's absolutely insane.

funny, I was on Redfin earlier and se
a house for something like $60k, $9000+ in taxes :bowrofl:

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
There have been a ton of flips in my hood recently, but its a good thing for values. I've been getting a small itch to sell, but I really like my location. I bought 2009 during the dip, comparable homes are selling $70-80K more than what I paid. I've dropped some coin in updates and renovations, so the other side of me says enjoy what I've made ours. Pay $5K/year in taxes, Cook county too.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
There have been a ton of flips in my hood recently, but its a good thing for values.

You'd be amazed at how many towns try to fight us tooth and nail. Fees, inspections that lead to fees, trying to get us to rewire the entire house just because(which leads to permit fees and inspection fees ;) ).

Someone's taking an often-times dilapidated house, turning it in to one of the nicest on the block, and selling it for top dollar....And the city wants to stop it.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
You'd be amazed at how many towns try to fight us tooth and nail. Fees, inspections that lead to fees, trying to get us to rewire the entire house just because(which leads to permit fees and inspection fees ;) ).

Someone's taking an often-times dilapidated house, turning it in to one of the nicest on the block, and selling it for top dollar....And the city wants to stop it.

I can see that, im guessing the towns just want their cut for inspections and you're meeting code/ordinances. In my area, most were built in the 60s, of course codes have dramatically changed. Most of them well kept and just need basic cosmetics updates... but some of the things that passed inspection back in the day is :rofl: and the city knows that.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i guess im confused, i thought you were looking at a lot on the upper chain as well, near antioch or something

Ohhhhh, yeah that! Sorry, the FRG property right by Panda's I put an offer in on in October.

I never really pursued that lot because there were some restrictions I didn't think I was going to have the capacity to meet. Essentially they wanted me to break ground on putting a house there within 6 months of the closing on the land. I didn't think I'd have my shit together to do so within that time frame.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ohhhhh, yeah that! Sorry, the FRG property right by Panda's I put an offer in on in October.

I never really pursued that lot because there were some restrictions I didn't think I was going to have the capacity to meet. Essentially they wanted me to break ground on putting a house there within 6 months of the closing on the land. I didn't think I'd have my shit together to do so within that time frame.

oh alright cool :rofl: i was curious

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
oh alright cool :rofl: i was curious

Yeah, no worries. It was a cool lot, but for a first time home buyer actually BUILDING a house was going to be one hell of a task. My goal at this point is to buy a house that needs a decent amount of work and fix it up over the course of a year or so, sell and move on to the next one. I like working on houses and have a fair share of knowledge (pretty much able to do anything except heavy electrical) and think it would be a fun way to own a few places and see what I really like before settling in to a house/area for more than a year.

Thread Info