🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
In today's episode of "things that make you go wtf"....someone is trying to build one of the most expensive homes in the entire state..... in NWI. This would def have to be the most expensive non-waterfront, small lot house in the state.

Nobody will ever bite on this but whoever is trying to sell it easily has $400k in to the 2 lots and MINIMUM $50k+ in to the prints (i could see it being much more than this)....what are they doing. I like how they mention the architects name like anybody knows who he is lol, dude doesn't even really show up when you google him

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
In today's episode of "things that make you go wtf"....someone is trying to build one of the most expensive homes in the entire state in NWI. This would def have to be the most expensive non-waterfront, small lot house in the state.

Nobody will ever bite on this but whoever is trying to sell it easily has $400k in to the 2 lots and MINIMUM $50k+ in to the prints (i could see it being much more than this)....what are they doing. I like how they mention the architects name like anybody knows who he is lol, dude doesn't even really show up when you google him

i went to hunt cuz i was like shit would that be the most expensive not waterfront small lot house.

and i haven't hunted much

but i found this, and this isn't what you're talking about at all. but dear god.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
In today's episode of "things that make you go wtf"....someone is trying to build one of the most expensive homes in the entire state in NWI. This would def have to be the most expensive non-waterfront, small lot house in the state.

also he has it listed twice

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i went to hunt cuz i was like shit would that be the most expensive not waterfront small lot house.

but i found this, and this isn't what you're talking about at all. but dear god.

fuck

me

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

I honestly don't know what to think of this lol. If you have this much money (and time) to design a house like this...and you build it in indiana...do you:

Really really love indiana
Build it "just because" too much time and fuck you money, and you already have houses in every other area of the country?
Build it because the 2,500 residents of santa claus IN will leave you alone? Whoever owns this is prob worth more than all of them combined lol

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Squeaky192 Squeaky192 found one up your alley!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I've always known munster was ridiculously expensive (never understood the allure, at all), but I didn't know it was "half million dollar 42 year old 2300sqft quad level" ridiculous

Place is under contract too

What. The. Hell.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 219Cobra and DEEZUZ

219Cobra

Cobra Lover
Aug 30, 2005
NWI
I've always known munster was ridiculously expensive (never understood the allure, at all), but I didn't know it was "half million dollar 42 year old 2300sqft quad level" ridiculous

Place is under contract too

What. The. Hell.

Guaranteed Illinois buyer.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Still waiting for owners to tell us how much for this house. Talked with them Saturday, waiting for his brother to ok the price.(its owned by a trust). Saw a nice house Saturday but was about 30k higher than we want to go. Already has 2 offers on it we heard. In the mean time had plumbers in to fix a shower leak. Had them do the hot water valve under the sink. Entire line was corroded almost shut. They recommend replacing all the copper supply pipes. Worried this house needs to many repairs even before seeing what they offer it for.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012

Wifey and I are going to take a second look at this place tomorrow.
Really debating about putting in an offer, the development is all 1-5 acre lots, this house is on the low end price wise, they go into the $2mm range.
Yeah lots of work knocking the 90's off of it and no place for a shed but it'd be fucking baller done.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
For some reason you got me thinking about that house I almost bought in Twin lakes about 5 years ago. I think it was because that neighborhood was normally 300-350k back in 2017 and this house was up for 200k. I almost bought it for that and it did eventually sell for that in 2017. Sold in May for 425k. ?

• Wow
Reactions: Jon01

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

Really debating about putting in an offer, the development is all 1-5 acre lots, this house is on the low end price wise, they go into the $2mm range.
Yeah lots of work knocking the 90's off of it and no place for a shed but it'd be fucking baller done.
That’s a lotta work. Gonna have to call you OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling soon

Reactions: Jon01

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Where's the Jazzercise and perm rollers? Holiofuck.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
That’s a lotta work. Gonna have to call you OffshoreDrilling OffshoreDrilling soon

Yeah, it needs a bunch but tbh it's nothing we haven't done to our house...just 2x the sq footage.
Paint, lighting and some basic floor covering updates/area rugs would make it livable for a few years till we got it paid off.

Where's the Jazzercise and perm rollers? Holiofuck.
Yeah man, original owners, built it 1993 when their kids left the nest. Then didn't update much but that's how a dude like me gets into honestly one of the best/highest priced developments in town.

The idea of jumping back into a mortgage given rates and the economy teetering is a little intimidating.
This is entirely on a whim.
We weren't seriously looking for a house, just went to the open on Sunday with my dad to entertain him while my mom was out of town. Now we're running #'s and pricing flooring etc...FML.
Going back tomorrow night since mom is back to get her take and let my dad try to milk some intel out of the realtor.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

This is awesome. It's weird to me that they call it 2,600 ft when actually it's closer to 5,200 (depending on how much of the basement was left unfinished for storage).

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
This is awesome. It's weird to me that they call it 2,600 ft when actually it's closer to 5,200 (depending on how much of the basement was left unfinished for storage).
Agreed - the project and potential upside is very tempting.
I'm not sure why it hasn't already been snatched up yet tho which has me a little bit concerned that there's more going on than meets the eye.

Yeah Iowa is dumb like that.
Basement sq footage doesn't count, but it does.
About 70% of the basement is finished, there's a smaller utility room then a fairly good sized storage room that I'd turn into a hobby/work shop for woodworking and general house bullshit.

Thread Info