🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
We went to go see this one two weekends ago: https://www.zillow.com/homes/215-Inverway-Palatine,-IL-60067_rb/3262012_zpid/

Sadly needs more work than we can tackle but it is such a sweet place. If it didn't need a new roof and siding we probably would have put in an offer on it and float both mortgages for a bit while we fixed that one up before moving in. Needing new cedar shake roof and siding immediately to prevent further damage would have stretched our liquidity too far.

I think it looks kinda cool. My neighbor had a full log home that she was trying to sell for years. It takes a special buyer for some stuff that isnt the norm around here.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
looks cool. i assume those are actually square windows and not circular ones, is that how they do those?

i have a car friend who bought an older (60s?) house with some cool big (rectangular) windows out to the backyard - apparently they are nearly impossible to source/move/install so any replacement is ungodly expensive, which is what always worries me about any cool windows.

i am walking around mexico city past a zillion old 2 story buildings that seem largely unused and empty and wondering how much they would cost to buy and turn into super cool hacker lairs, although i am guessing they are somehow both sitting and rotting while also being worth a million dollars based on land/location alone.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Good podcast for you real estate moguls

A8ED0E9B-5DCC-4C32-811E-DAB835CB7512.png

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
looks cool. i assume those are actually square windows and not circular ones, is that how they do those?

i have a car friend who bought an older (60s?) house with some cool big (rectangular) windows out to the backyard - apparently they are nearly impossible to source/move/install so any replacement is ungodly expensive, which is what always worries me about any cool windows.

i am walking around mexico city past a zillion old 2 story buildings that seem largely unused and empty and wondering how much they would cost to buy and turn into super cool hacker lairs, although i am guessing they are somehow both sitting and rotting while also being worth a million dollars based on land/location alone.

all the spots where you see round windows... those are round windows :)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Went to Naperville to go to the Apple store and Lou Malnati’s for lunch. Drove past the 15M house on the way home:

View attachment 100962
So we still don't know the story about this place? Whoever had it built will certainly lose millions, i can't imagine the buyer pool for $15m homes with lots of noise and no privacy is very large

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I also can't imagine that is cost 15M to build this house. Sure, it had to be big bucks, I'm sure they'll make some $ in the end.
I can almost guarantee it did. The person that foot the bill for that project will not profit, no way. Especially if there were 4+ houses on the land that it currently occupies. He could easily have $2m+ in just the land

Someone built it then changed their minds, or moved, or just doesn't give a fuck

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Naperville is just the pinnacle of first world problems.

Rich, uppity area with a huge drug problem and some of the worst choices in taste I've ever seen when it comes to houses. Fucking mansions on 1/16 acre literal postage stamp lots. "I want to live in the city but I don't want to live IN the CITY so we'll turn this area into a city."

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
So we still don't know the story about this place? Whoever had it built will certainly lose millions, i can't imagine the buyer pool for $15m homes with lots of noise and no privacy is very large

The husband died and the wife is selling it. I don’t think they will lose millions, but likely they are selling at a lose. It’s a great location for a rich person who wants to live in town.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
MJ's house is dated and would require a lot of money to bring it up to the standards of a buyer paying $15M. That's why it's been on the market for a close to a decade.

That house in Naperville probably has more money in stone work than the value of our homes. I'm guessing the two buildable lots are probably worth close to a $1M.

Thread Info