🏡 Better Homes OFFICIAL real estate bs discussion

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
In Rockford anything above $5k a year I consider high, but you can find houses in areas considered county where taxes are $2k a year.

I know it’s Rockford but still

That’s just Illinois in a nutshell. Zero fucking sense when it comes to taxes. One house 15k a year, few miles over cut it in half.

I swear they used a fun wheel to pick what you pay.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
God. This is going to come Smashing down so fucking hard
I really don’t think so. Our property values are pretty low vs Canada and Europe. Interest rates are low, lending requirements are more strict, the people who don’t have money are the ones choosing to not work and sit on unemployment. Rents are going up super fast right now too. It’s not that houses are overpriced, everything is going to the moon.

I could see this being the point that property ownership starts for upper income people only.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Zillow and Redfin estimates you might as well throw in the trash. If you read the fine print they basically state the median error rate is 7.5%. That can equate to quite off even in the best circumstance
My house went up $100k since may when I bought, if I believed what those estimates said. I don’t.

three houses for sale in my neighborhood right now, one sold in a couple days, one is for sale by owner and the last one has been on the market for maybe two months now. Kind of a mixed bag.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I’d prefer to let a trusted realtor you have go over the pricing. Looking at what an aggressive price to list at would be vs what you should seriously consider if you were offered it.

Those sites can be misleading sometimes. For instance my current home says it’s about 650k on Redfin. No idea where it’s getting that estimate from. We didn’t pay anywhere close to that in feb when we bought it and it’s obv not worth that.
Zillow and Redfin estimates you might as well throw in the trash. If you read the fine print they basically state the median error rate is 7.5%. That can equate to quite off even in the best circumstance
I understand that but when I’m watching the cookie cutter houses identical to mine going for 225-250, it starts to make it seem like that’s the case. This area was also at 102% list price for months on end. Finally back down to 99-100.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I can’t believe how much you guys pay in taxes out there in the suburbs?

dude, lake county (#1 midwest iirc) avon township (#2 of 16) and my house being fawked/anomolously high (tried fighting twice, little success) -

iirc bought in 2005 242,500. 8,500 taxes
zillow estimate max like 265k. taxes got up to 11,800

house has some weird features - bro and i as 2 guys dgaf. example, master bath tiny, no way to remodel and "fix" it, etc.
listing eventually down to 219 in 2020, sold for 210k. hired someone to fight taxes, forgot what he got them down to. 10? high 9s?

in any case, i got fucked on equity/non-appreciation as well as ridiculous amounts of taxes, didn't send my cats to school, etc. my mistake i guess for choosing to live there/home schooling the cats instead of sending them off for a public education and at least getting some value out of that money.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Fun fact. Using Yaj Yak Yaj Yak logic I actually calculated how much money I've "wasted" from interest alone. If I were to sell at 250, I would just break even on JUST house (P&I) payments. Not including upgrades or other shit. :rofl:

"hOuSeS ArE tO MaKe mOnEy"

houses generally match inflation. else you need some kind of real investment/growth/luck etc. in an area. it's an investment if it's cash flow positive, eg. you own real estate you are renting out. else the "house is the biggest investment you'll ever make" kind of thing is just real estate industry marketing.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
One of my favorite house just hit the market.

We drove past this house while it was under contraction many times.

While not the most ideal location, it's pretty fricking nice.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Wait wasn’t this just built? I thought I heard rumors this was the owner of weather techs house?

Guessing not?

Either way, no way would I pay 14 million to live 1 block from non stop partying in downtown Naperville.

wife heard it's a couple with no kids that lives there currently, not sure if that's the weathertech folks or not. Wife works for a billionaire in Naperville and her bosses (CFO) wife does high end real estate in the area.

I told her to pitch this house to the billionaire and suggest that we (her and I and the kids) maintain the house while they're gone.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
One of my favorite house just hit the market.

We drove past this house while it was under contraction many times.

While not the most ideal location, it's pretty fricking nice.

JFC, just looked this up on google maps. Looks like it's built in the middle of a shopping mall, can't imagine how loud it is.

Also..why not also buy the lot next door and spread things out a little bit? House barely fits inside its property lines.

People are weird

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
JFC, just looked this up on google maps. Looks like it's built in the middle of a shopping mall, can't imagine how loud it is.

Also..why not also buy the lot next door and spread things out a little bit? House barely fits inside its property lines.

People are weird

It's a block north and west of the edge of Downtown Naperville.

They did buy the neighboring lots and spread it out, IIRC this house sits where 4/6 houses used to sit.

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
We went to go see this one two weekends ago: https://www.zillow.com/homes/215-Inverway-Palatine,-IL-60067_rb/3262012_zpid/

Sadly needs more work than we can tackle but it is such a sweet place. If it didn't need a new roof and siding we probably would have put in an offer on it and float both mortgages for a bit while we fixed that one up before moving in. Needing new cedar shake roof and siding immediately to prevent further damage would have stretched our liquidity too far.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Thread Info