Gaming Official Playstation Thread

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

New PS5 will be released for the 2020 Holidays.

I will definitely be getting in on one, my launch day PS4 is showing it's age and I don't want to upgrade the 500GB SSD I already put in it at launch.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Yep, I'll pre-order. Still rocking my launch day PS4.

I put an SSD in it right away because I had one in my PS3 to run DCUO, the problem was 500GB SSD's were fucking expensive as fuck back then, and now I don't want to replace it with say a 1TB hybrid drive or anything so I'm just running with this one until the PS5 comes out. PS5 will come with an SSD from the factory, I'm just curious as to what size SSD it will release with. I would hope 1TB, but we shall see.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I put an SSD in it right away because I had one in my PS3 to run DCUO, the problem was 500GB SSD's were fucking expensive as fuck back then, and now I don't want to replace it with say a 1TB hybrid drive or anything so I'm just running with this one until the PS5 comes out. PS5 will come with an SSD from the factory, I'm just curious as to what size SSD it will release with. I would hope 1TB, but we shall see.
Sure as hell better be a 1TB with the size of games now!

Reactions: FESTER665

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Just upgrade to a 1tb SSD in the mean time. They can be bought for $60 new now, I just bought one myself.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Werent you just talking about a technology thats faster than SSD as well? Whats that all about? Wonder if that will be an option to swap to in the future....

IIRC one of the rumors about the new PS and Xbox was they would use NVME drives. Which blow away SATA SSDs for read speeds.

I swapped the drive in my launch PS4 to a 2TB hybrid and it seemed to be a little better. Was less than $100 and I believe that was 2 years ago?

Ill see when preorders go out. I for sure would upgrade. Both the PS4 and PS5 are X86 based so BC should be no problem, and playing some of my current library would be better since I do believe some are PS4 Pro optimized or something.

Next is a better TV though. :cautious:

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
IIRC one of the rumors about the new PS and Xbox was they would use NVME drives. Which blow away SATA SSDs for read speeds.

I swapped the drive in my launch PS4 to a 2TB hybrid and it seemed to be a little better. Was less than $100 and I believe that was 2 years ago?

Ill see when preorders go out. I for sure would upgrade. Both the PS4 and PS5 are X86 based so BC should be no problem, and playing some of my current library would be better since I do believe some are PS4 Pro optimized or something.

Next is a better TV though. :cautious:

I went from a stock HD to a hybrid to a SSD.

IF I put it on a scale as far as speeds....

Stock is a 1

hybrid SSD is a 3

SSD is a 10.

I noticed a difference between stock and HSSD for sure.. but i noticed a HUGE difference from HSSD to SSD. Especially when the big updates come out.. the install speed takes 5 minutes or less now. Used to take 30+ minutes.

( I start my DL and my wifes DL.. stock HD.. at the same time.) Im playing way before her

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I know the game is old now and nobody plays it, but you can see the difference in loading times I had from PS3 to PS4 with both the HDD and a SSD....

DBBF5764-6A84-4BA9-83F1-491FF553760D.png

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Wow, not all PS4 titles will be compatible with PS5, and no PS3 games. Meanwhile, all xbox one games are playable on XBox Series X and many will receive a resolution bump and HDR. This is like xbox 360 vs ps3 all over again.

Thread Info