📸 Photography Official post your pet thread

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Sorry to hear about that. It is always terrible.
giphy.gif

Reactions: BS ISF

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
5A910E11-82E8-45C2-853B-50182AA9F93C.jpeg
FFC0B3A4-FA34-4C0F-926E-D08C634E0C77.jpeg
3521E6ED-5B23-4F12-A963-C60000F096C8.jpeg

Her 2nd haircut went well. She still has a bit of the puppy “bottle brush” facial hair going on but she let the lady trim her face and is starting to look like a proper Schnauzer. Up to 30 pounds so far and she’s a little over 6 months.

She’s living up to the reputation of them being stubborn and smart. She knows if she misbehaves near me she’s in trouble. So now she makes sure she’s a far enough distance away then starts being an asshole.

She did finally get her first good bite on me though. She hates people in PPE colors because they all antagonize her at work and they wear it. So she was going ham at them barking like she’s ready to murder and clawing/jumping at the glass, I grab her to calm her down, she bites my hand then just shuts up sits down and stares at me like my bad bro.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
View attachment 89584View attachment 89585View attachment 89586
Her 2nd haircut went well. She still has a bit of the puppy “bottle brush” facial hair going on but she let the lady trim her face and is starting to look like a proper Schnauzer. Up to 30 pounds so far and she’s a little over 6 months.

She’s living up to the reputation of them being stubborn and smart. She knows if she misbehaves near me she’s in trouble. So now she makes sure she’s a far enough distance away then starts being an asshole.

She did finally get her first good bite on me though. She hates people in PPE colors because they all antagonize her at work and they wear it. So she was going ham at them barking like she’s ready to murder and clawing/jumping at the glass, I grab her to calm her down, she bites my hand then just shuts up sits down and stares at me like my bad bro.

I like the schnauzer cut but eventually went short everywhere but the beard and eyebrows because it’s just so much easier to maintain.

Out of curiosity, why are you bringing her somewhere where people antagonize her all day?

At 6 months old they should already know that biting is not good. That being said, they’re dogs and they use biting as a correction so they may still bite, the trick is teaching them a soft bite always.... It took me a few weeks when mine were puppies, but after they learn it you can be fine with them around kids and things where they might need to “correct” and not worry.....

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Here's Turbo. He's around 15-16 years old. We rescued him about 10 years ago and we were told he was likely around 5 at the time. He was picked up as a stray at a Harley Dealership and brought to Animal Welfare.

Poor guy's health is declining. He seems happy and comfortable but he's lost weight and it's a struggle to get him to eat sometimes. He's mostly blind at this point, but he's still able to navigate around the house and still likes to walk around in the back yard.

PXL_20210518_234439898.jpg

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I like the schnauzer cut but eventually went short everywhere but the beard and eyebrows because it’s just so much easier to maintain.

Out of curiosity, why are you bringing her somewhere where people antagonize her all day?

At 6 months old they should already know that biting is not good. That being said, they’re dogs and they use biting as a correction so they may still bite, the trick is teaching them a soft bite always.... It took me a few weeks when mine were puppies, but after they learn it you can be fine with them around kids and things where they might need to “correct” and not worry.....
Yeah she has a tendency to get crap all stuck in her longer fur under her body so we may eventually go shorter with that too we will see.

Its my work. She’s by my side pretty much all day every day. They yard we are in and out of all day they are all communicating and getting each others attention by whistling which of course she finds offensive apparently. And they come up to me to talk which is a hell no in her book be it in the truck or when I’m outside of it because she’s protective as shit of her “territory“ and me. And of course they all think she’s cool so they wave at her and being who she is she hates that too. But they are all scared of coming up close enough to meet her because of her going crazy and acting like a maniac

She’s working on her people/dog skills still. A lot of times she will approach with barking acting like a maniac which scares the other party and then when she gets closer she’s like oh hey lemme sniff you and get to know you but at that point they are like yeah keep the fuck away. We’ve tried to introduce her to my wife’s family dogs who are seniors a few times. First time Shelby went crazy then came rushing up to sniff them and they were like fuck no. So she got upset about that but eventually calmed back down and tried sniffing again and they were like fuck off. This 2nd time Shelby ran up without being an ass and started sniffing while the old dogs sat but the one moved a hair, it scared Shelby, and she went off and they were like fuck off. All the loud noises and movement in the world doesn’t both her being she was with me so young at work. But she’s just too uncertain around people/dogs. Apparently she’s great at doggy daycare when we put her in that to get her socializing with other dogs, and with the groomer around all those people and other dogs. So it might be partially because we are with her the other times and once we are out of sight out of mind she’s ok?

It took a little bit but she is great about not biting us. She’ll only do the correcting sometimes more so when she’s tired and cranky and you can tell that pretty quickly she needs a nap. She will accidentally get my hand in her mouth while we are playing with her toys and once she realizes it’s my hand basically just opens her mouth. I can put my hand in her mouth without worry and everything. It was just one of those things where I startled her while she was “protecting me” so she clamped down out of instinct but once she realized it was me stopped everything even trying to go crazy to get them to get away from the truck and me. I corrected her still even though it was an accident because I don’t want her to do that obviously.

One major thing I noticed is when she’s got the pinch collar on she’s extremely well behaved and will listen much more to me. When it’s off she’s a psycho and if there’s too much going on will ignore what I tell her. I want to try and take her to training classes to get her better without the pinch collar but I’m worried as shit that she’s going to be a monster there and get kicked out or if I have her wearing the pinch collar so she behaves people will flip their shit about it being evil.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Yeah she has a tendency to get crap all stuck in her longer fur under her body so we may eventually go shorter with that too we will see.

Its my work. She’s by my side pretty much all day every day. They yard we are in and out of all day they are all communicating and getting each others attention by whistling which of course she finds offensive apparently. And they come up to me to talk which is a hell no in her book be it in the truck or when I’m outside of it because she’s protective as shit of her “territory“ and me. And of course they all think she’s cool so they wave at her and being who she is she hates that too. But they are all scared of coming up close enough to meet her because of her going crazy and acting like a maniac

She’s working on her people/dog skills still. A lot of times she will approach with barking acting like a maniac which scares the other party and then when she gets closer she’s like oh hey lemme sniff you and get to know you but at that point they are like yeah keep the fuck away. We’ve tried to introduce her to my wife’s family dogs who are seniors a few times. First time Shelby went crazy then came rushing up to sniff them and they were like fuck no. So she got upset about that but eventually calmed back down and tried sniffing again and they were like fuck off. This 2nd time Shelby ran up without being an ass and started sniffing while the old dogs sat but the one moved a hair, it scared Shelby, and she went off and they were like fuck off. All the loud noises and movement in the world doesn’t both her being she was with me so young at work. But she’s just too uncertain around people/dogs. Apparently she’s great at doggy daycare when we put her in that to get her socializing with other dogs, and with the groomer around all those people and other dogs. So it might be partially because we are with her the other times and once we are out of sight out of mind she’s ok?

It took a little bit but she is great about not biting us. She’ll only do the correcting sometimes more so when she’s tired and cranky and you can tell that pretty quickly she needs a nap. She will accidentally get my hand in her mouth while we are playing with her toys and once she realizes it’s my hand basically just opens her mouth. I can put my hand in her mouth without worry and everything. It was just one of those things where I startled her while she was “protecting me” so she clamped down out of instinct but once she realized it was me stopped everything even trying to go crazy to get them to get away from the truck and me. I corrected her still even though it was an accident because I don’t want her to do that obviously.

One major thing I noticed is when she’s got the pinch collar on she’s extremely well behaved and will listen much more to me. When it’s off she’s a psycho and if there’s too much going on will ignore what I tell her. I want to try and take her to training classes to get her better without the pinch collar but I’m worried as shit that she’s going to be a monster there and get kicked out or if I have her wearing the pinch collar so she behaves people will flip their shit about it being evil.

Sounds like you have a whole lot of training to work on..... Great opportunities to work with her on. With her being 6 months old you need to get on them FAST, you don't want these traits to become part of her demeanor when they are hard to break. When theyre really young is the best time to start introducing them to all these sights and sounds, and work with them on everything.

Did you get her from a breeder? Usually you can learn some about their demeanor from the parents and what traits you need to focus on training with. I took a class with my Shelby and then training Ollie afterward was a piece of cake, she did most of the work because she knew what was and wasnt allowed.

Usually if shes doing stuff when family is allowed she feels the need to be the "protector" and you need to make sure it is known that you are the one who will be doing that, you dont need her to do that. My boss's Shitzu is the same way, but I can take him at lunch and bring him to my house and he has a blast with my dogs. If she takes him out on walks he wants to kill everything.

Reactions: ajdereicup

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Sounds like you have a whole lot of training to work on..... Great opportunities to work with her on. With her being 6 months old you need to get on them FAST, you don't want these traits to become part of her demeanor when they are hard to break. When theyre really young is the best time to start introducing them to all these sights and sounds, and work with them on everything.

Did you get her from a breeder? Usually you can learn some about their demeanor from the parents and what traits you need to focus on training with. I took a class with my Shelby and then training Ollie afterward was a piece of cake, she did most of the work because she knew what was and wasnt allowed.

Usually if shes doing stuff when family is allowed she feels the need to be the "protector" and you need to make sure it is known that you are the one who will be doing that, you dont need her to do that. My boss's Shitzu is the same way, but I can take him at lunch and bring him to my house and he has a blast with my dogs. If she takes him out on walks he wants to kill everything.

Yeah I’ve been working on training her basically daily while we are at work stuck places. She’s very quick to learn things but she’s much slower with learning when I say it I mean it no matter what’s going on. So I’ve been working on giving her commands while there’s a lot of things that tend to distract her. Some days she does better than others. When she has the choke collar on she almost always listens the first time no matter what. But I want to get her to where she listens without the choke collar. Going on a walk with the choke collar she doesn’t pull at all, doesn’t really bark or pay attention to people or other dogs, etc. it’s great. Without the choke collar she pulls like a draft horse, and barks like crazy at other people and some dogs. It’s a 50/50 shot if she’s going to bark at other animals. She’s fairly good about ignoring most other animals I think from being exposed to them early on just like the sounds and all that. But sometimes it’s like she’s like fuck it ima bark at this 1 squirrel when I ignored the 10 others we passed on this walk.

Yeah we drove out to Kansas to get her from a breeder. The standards are a bitch to find and get. The breeder we got her from wasn’t the best with communication but it was a ranch place so the dogs were working dogs. So it makes sense that she has a “job” and feels the need to do it even if we don’t need her protecting us.

I want to try and see her at doggy daycare and stuff to see how she does without having me around. When we drop her off at that kinda stuff she’s very nervous and not wanting to go with them but then when we come to pick her up she seems to be having the time of her life and all good. She definitely acts differently with different people though I’ve noticed. She’s got a pecking order. Her and I are in like a nonstop battle for the top. She listens when I’m close enough to correct her unless there’s a lot of shit distracting her then it’s hit or miss. Once she gets far enough away she’s like ima do all the shit you tell me not to. She’s a lot better with me at work than at home though because at home it’s the wife and I. She clearly feels she’s above my wife because my wife refuses to correct her most of the time and just lets her do what she wants. So she acts like a maniac at the house when the wife is home unless I say no and she continues and I start walking towards her then she’s like oh shit and stops. I’ve been taking her to my parents having them work on giving her commands so she learns that she needs to listen to more than just me and she’s been getting that slowly but still everyone she meets she’s like let’s fucking see who’s going to be the boss of this relationship

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Yeah we looked at minis and giants but settled on a standard because our house is small. I wanted something big enough for my wife to feel comfortable but not too big that it takes up all the room in our small house. I used to have to go outta town every so often for work and my wife’s apartment was broken into so she would go stay with her parents when I was gone instead of learn how to use my guns or anything plus the police station is a block away. Now she feels alright if I gotta go somewhere.

I ordered one of those remote control corrective collars yesterday hoping it will teach her that even if she’s not within my reach she needs to listen to me. We will see how it goes. My older brothers dog it worked great for. Got a dog from the pound that had been dropped off 3 times already. Dog was abused badly and had tons of behavior issues. Now he’s a great dog besides a couple PTSD issues. He HATES when commercials come on the TV. Whether he’s sitting watching the th (weird as that is) or just hears commercials come on he panics and tries to run and hide. He also squats to pee which is weird AF for a male dog. But he’s amazing with my 2 year old niece and being she’s a parrot she tells him Burhley go to bed cause she hears them say it sometimes and his ass will go to bed. When they first got him before my niece was born he would’ve never done that. And of course a picture of him cause he’s my buddy
63B6A036-93DB-4F7C-900F-2C56D3E9A215.jpeg

Reactions: Jon01 and BS ISF

Thread Info