📸 Photography Official post your pet thread

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Fuck, sounds like a bad day for pets on TCG today. My guy has been withering in pain since about 11pm last night, it comes and goes. With all the pain and sedation pills he has been on since Monday, the pain has to be insanely bad. Thurs night he pissed on his bed, did the same Fri and this morning. Can barely walk now, his legs shake when he stands up. He is actually scared to stand up. Hasnt ate since Thursday night except for some peanut butter to get his pills down. Taking him to the vet in 30 min.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
RIP Ryno, we had almost 9yrs together. Gonna miss you buddy.

9C9D9339-B43D-4F1A-A0AB-40CE1FE82B2A.jpeg

873B9591-7D34-43EB-9697-A7B06D546FDE.jpeg

8DE3E398-34DA-4485-90D6-5CA5A540A119.jpeg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Damn, I know exactly how this feels as I knew it was a possibility yesterday, and honestly is still a possibility depending on how this treatment plan goes.

She's halfway to 14, and even if this works, I'm going to have to make this call not too far into the future anyways.

She's on 4 different pills + an appetite stimulant to try and get calories into her.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Thanks everyone, like the 4th time we have been thru this and it never gets easier. Cried like a baby for a few hours, was in bed by 7pm.
My Female knows something is up as well, she seen us come home without him and seen my Wife had his collar in her hand. She sniffed it and started whining a little bit. She just laid in Rynos cage the whole night.
I wont be this sad when my Mom passes away, fucked up, yes but it is what it is.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Damn, I know exactly how this feels as I knew it was a possibility yesterday, and honestly is still a possibility depending on how this treatment plan goes.

She's halfway to 14, and even if this works, I'm going to have to make this call not too far into the future anyways.

She's on 4 different pills + an appetite stimulant to try and get calories into her.
How is she doing today?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I've spoken with the vet, and sought 2nd opinions.

What I've been told is not positive. If I can't turn her appetite around, or eat least meet her minimum caloric needs very short term, she will continue to waste away. It's almost worse that a sudden tragedy. There is a possible light at the end of the tunnel if I can just get her to eat. But every time she sniffs at the food on the bowl and walks away is like being stabbed in my heart. But despite that, she carries on, she wants 'food' but when its offered I never know if she's going to eat. She wants to go outside for walks. She wants to cuddle on the bed. She wants to do all of the things that make her Nikki.

Due to her already very low body weight, she doesn't have any reserves to last through a week of starving herself. She has only a few more days before the starvation means her body will start consuming itself. And once that happens, the decision will be made for me. The list of symptoms for extreme starvation are terrifying to read.

So, I'm left with a deadline. If her appetite does not improve, and we can't meet a minimum caloric intake, I will be left with no choice but to Euthenize her by the end of this week. Its not much a choice and it kills me inside to have to put a deadline on her life. I don't want to watch her starve to death.

I've taken the week off work, she is my priority. If that means I feed her a spoonful of anything every hour on the hour then that is what I will do. If it means blending up steak so she'll eat something I'll do that too. I will not give up on her. Its hard to watch her every day. Every day is a battle to save her life and she's not winning every day.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida

What I've been told is not positive. If I can't turn her appetite around, or eat least meet her minimum caloric needs very short term, she will continue to waste away. It's almost worse that a sudden tragedy. There is a possible light at the end of the tunnel if I can just get her to eat. But every time she sniffs at the food on the bowl and walks away is like being stabbed in my heart. But despite that, she carries on, she wants 'food' but when its offered I never know if she's going to eat. She wants to go outside for walks. She wants to cuddle on the bed. She wants to do all of the things that make her Nikki.

Due to her already very low body weight, she doesn't have any reserves to last through a week of starving herself. She has only a few more days before the starvation means her body will start consuming itself. And once that happens, the decision will be made for me. The list of symptoms for extreme starvation are terrifying to read.

So, I'm left with a deadline. If her appetite does not improve, and we can't meet a minimum caloric intake, I will be left with no choice but to Euthenize her by the end of this week. Its not much a choice and it kills me inside to have to put a deadline on her life. I don't want to watch her starve to death.

I've taken the week off work, she is my priority. If that means I feed her a spoonful of anything every hour on the hour then that is what I will do. If it means blending up steak so she'll eat something I'll do that too. I will not give up on her. Its hard to watch her every day. Every day is a battle to save her life and she's not winning every day.
As a long time dog owner, IMO, Try people food and see what happens. If it's her time, it's her time. Good luck!

Probably the saddest moment in my life was when I had "Dream" at the vet to put her down since she could hardly walk anymore and she got up and bumped her nose into the exit door at the vet. I cried. Then I had to put her down.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
As a long time dog owner, IMO, Try people food and see what happens. If it's her time, it's her time. Good luck!

Probably the saddest moment in my life was when I had "Dream" at the vet to put her down since she could hardly walk anymore and she got up and bumped her nose into the exit door at the vet. I cried. Then I had to put her down.
I was just going to suggest table food as well. Mine wouldnt even eat that the last 2 days he was around. Chicken was his favorite, I went and bought him a whole rotisserie chicken. Turned his nose at it and wanted nothing to do with it

My Female is very sad, I think it has 100% set in now. She has been crying to go in the basement anytime my Wife or I went down there. Yesterday my Wife was doing laundry and let her in the basement. My Wife said she was searching and sniffing every room in the basement while whimpering. Brought my Wife to tears again. All my Female has done the last 2 days is lay on her bed with Ryno's favorite ball. :cry::cry:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

I know you've tried a whole host of food. If you haven't tried this one yet, see if your vet has the Hills Science Diet a/d canned food (it is Rx only). It is used for urgent care with a high protein (44%) and fat (33%) count to bring weight back up. I used it with Misty towards her EOL to get her from 5 lbs to almost 8 lbs in two months. It is for feline/canine. Soft pate, so easy to eat and digest:

Reactions: Jon01

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I was just going to suggest table food as well. Mine wouldnt even eat that the last 2 days he was around. Chicken was his favorite, I went and bought him a whole rotisserie chicken. Turned his nose at it and wanted nothing to do with it

My Female is very sad, I think it has 100% set in now. She has been crying to go in the basement anytime my Wife or I went down there. Yesterday my Wife was doing laundry and let her in the basement. My Wife said she was searching and sniffing every room in the basement while whimpering. Brought my Wife to tears again. All my Female has done the last 2 days is lay on her bed with Ryno's favorite ball. :cry::cry:

Depression in animals is a real thing. Something that has real causes behind it. Almost need to see a shrink at times.

Yesterday, and Today were battles won.

I've gone down the rabbit hole and spoken to about 3 different vets, and all of them come in with a senior neutered/spayed dog should be about 900 calories per day. So how did they come up with that number?

I needed to calculate two things. The Resting Energy Requirement (RER), and the Daily Energy Requirement (DER). RER is based on ideal body weight in Kilograms. DER is based on their activity/age and is a multiple of RER. So Puppies might need 2-3x the RER. And a fat ass dog might need a value of 1.0 to lose weight. A Senior spayed female dog has a DER of 1.6.
RER = 70*(Weight in KG)^(3/4)
DER (Sr Dog Spayed) = RER * 1.6.

So, her DER is 900 calories for easy numbers. Any time I can get more than 900 calories into her means her body can use it to regain weight.

Yesterday I only managed to get 800 calories into her. That felt like a win, but it was NOT enough. Today, I got 950 calories into her. And I think I can sneak some more in, going to try for some Turkey and gravy baby food, which would be an additional 90 calories.

To gain weight, its recommended to multiply the DER by 1.1, so if I can manage 1000 calories, she will be on her weight back to a healthy weight.

Right now, I'll take any day where I meet the minimum 900 DER as it means she won't starve more and its one more day to try again with her.

Here's the website that breaks it down and explains it all.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I know you've tried a whole host of food. If you haven't tried this one yet, see if your vet has the Hills Science Diet a/d canned food (it is Rx only). It is used for urgent care with a high protein (44%) and fat (33%) count to bring weight back up. I used it with Misty towards her EOL to get her from 5 lbs to almost 8 lbs in two months. It is for feline/canine. Soft pate, so easy to eat and digest:

I have to avoid high fat content foods for now. It can cause issues with her Liver, which is already problematic. High Protein/carb.

Right now, she will ONLY eat straight up ground beef. As we are not sure if she has dental issues that might be causing some pain, I'm puree'ing it. Which she devours.

However, I need some carbs too, so today for lunch I tried 1/4lb of 93/7 Ground Beef + 1/4 cup of rice. She required coaxing to eat it. I need to try a different brand of rice. It was pre-cooked basmati rice from Uncle Bens'. I didn't realize it was precooked rice when I bought it. So I will be picking up some regular brown rice tomorrow.

I also need to find a way to incorporate some veggies when she'll eat them. Right now, calories are king for her, so if all I can get into her is straight up ground beef, then that's what she eats.

If I can constantly get her to eat the GB, then I can try to incorporate more of the things she's missing from her diet. Right now, I'll settle for getting her to reliably take the GB/Rice combo. But I may start adding in things like green beans, carrots..etc. This is pretty much what I got from the vets.

They all emphasized, not to worry about missing the other things yet. She is basically on deaths door in terms of critical body weight. She is 30% under weight. Thats way beyond under weight.

I also learned something new today from the Vet. NEVER give the dog grapes. Grapes are toxic to dogs. Lethal to some, just like chocolate.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Thread Info