Gaming Official Nintendo Thread

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
IMO the Switch is going to replace the Wii U and the 3DS. The 3DS is a success and if the switch is just as popular as the 3DS, Nintendo will have a hit on its hands Im sure if they could sell a pereferal that would make the 3DS play on your TV, it would sell like hot cakes and print money. The next best thing, make a better handheld that can do that.

Id keep your Switch if I were you. I still have my Wii U, but will not be getting Breath of the Wild for it and will be waiting to get it on the switch.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Damnit, I dont know which store to gamble on.

[UPDATE] Walmart has now confirmed that it will also have Nintendo Switch units available for walk-in shoppers at launch on Friday, March 3. 24-hour Walmart Supercenters will start selling the consoles at 12:01 AM local time on March 3. For stores that are not open 24 hours, Walmart said it advises people to call their local store to find out when units will be available to buy.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...zelda-engine-to-prototype-breath-of-the-wild/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-review/

(As a quick Zelda aside: though the Switch ditches the usual console optical discs and hard disk drives in favor of tiny, multi-gigabyte cartridges and internal flash storage, Breath of the Wild also features significant load times of 10 to 15 seconds after every death. At the same time, the game largely avoids further loading breaks as you traverse its expansive plains and mountains, though that graphical pop-in makes this a tad less impressive.)

Using the included dock to hook the system to a TV actually makes the graphical performance worse in some cases. When docked and charging, the Switch goes into an overclocked processor mode that's capable of sending a 1080p image for compatible HDTVs, rather than the 720p portable image. I can't say Breath of the Wild looked especially sharper on an HDTV than on its own portable screen (aside from the usual advantages of being on a bigger display). What I can say is that the game was much more liable to show dips in frame rate and stuttering when docked to the TV, apparently struggling due to the effort of pushing those extra pixels.

We've only got a single launch game to evaluate (other titles in the Switch launch line-up are far from taxing, even for the Tegra), and perhaps developers will learn to take better advantage of the Switch hardware as time goes on. Still it's not encouraging that a marquee launch game like Breath of the Wild already seems to be pushing the Switch hardware to its limits. It's especially worrying since this is a game that was originally designed for the nearly five-year-old Wii U, which is getting a concurrent version of the game that looks awfully similar in screenshots.

Ergonomics aside, one of the Joy-Cons also has a much more serious technical problem when it comes to its wireless bluetooth connection. Occasionally, the left Joy-Con will lose its connection to the Switch, leaving the player flailing for anywhere from one to three seconds before the connection comes back. I've only had this happen when the system is docked to a TV that is roughly seven to 10 feet from the controllers—it never happens when the system is merely propped on its kickstand, when the controllers tend to be much closer. In docked mode, though, the disconnections seem to happen once every couple of minutes, enough to be annoying and lead to a few unintentional deaths in Breath of the Wild.
holy crap, didnt realize how tiny the controllers are

switchunbox-21-1440x960.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Why? It's the same damn game. Aside from a bigger draw distance and a steadier frame rate, they're identical.

And the more I read, the less the switch is worth the 300+tax. It definitely seems like an unfinished console.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Its not going to have all the features it should, but software updates can cure a lot of what ails it, which will happen.

Also you cant really compare a pre release console and game to a Wii U port. :dunno: The controller alone is worth the switch. The game pad is lucky to get 3 hours of game play when I play.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info