❄️ The Official TCG Complains about Snow Yearly Despite Living in the Midwest and it never snows here anyway.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Snow

69752278-0C1B-4BB9-84E9-B80978B0908D.jpeg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Side question, how do they know the traffic conditions on surface roads, I.E., coloring it red, yellow green? I know the major expressways (and tollways) actually have sensors in the ground, but for example, in the map, Ogden Ave, through Naperville is red through dealer row... How do they know? Same for 59.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Side question, how do they know the traffic conditions on surface roads, I.E., coloring it red, yellow green? I know the major expressways (and tollways) actually have sensors in the ground, but for example, in the map, Ogden Ave, through Naperville is red through dealer row... How do they know? Same for 59.
it has nothing to do with surface road conditions, all about driving patterns. if we can notice the patterns of drivers in snow vs dry, a computer can too. add in the decades of data at this point and you have pretty accurate traffic condition notices based on patterns. Plus I am sure the AI behind it can query weather station APIs to find out the current weather in all the areas.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Just as it was starting I began the adventure of my 10-11 mile commute. What normally takes 25-30 minutes took just over an hour. The roads weren't even wet. Let's all do 15mph under because there is white shit falling down. Let's not use our wipers to clear off that back window so they can see the total clusterfuck of a traffic jam they're causing behind them. Certainly shouldn't be using your headlights, cause, why make yourself easier to see?

Total. Fucktwats.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
it has nothing to do with surface road conditions, all about driving patterns. if we can notice the patterns of drivers in snow vs dry, a computer can too. add in the decades of data at this point and you have pretty accurate traffic condition notices based on patterns. Plus I am sure the AI behind it can query weather station APIs to find out the current weather in all the areas.

That's a lot of wasted computing power for every city everywhere on the globe in live real time to color something red, yellow, green based on presumptions.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
You phone doesn't ping off towers all day?
It does. It isn't a lot of data is what I am saying.

Google Maps bases its traffic views and faster-route recommendations on two different kinds of information: historical data about the average time it takes to travel a particular section of road at specific times on specific days and real-time data sent by sensors and smartphones that report how fast cars are moving right then [source: Barth]

Thread Info