Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What the fuck is Honda doing. I thought they have spent the last 3 years trying to get out of f1
Their agreement to build engines was good up to 2022, then the intent was to have Red Bull take over the engine (PU) manufacturing. But then Red Bull went and won the 2021 (and 2022) championship, so Honda is rethinking their entry since winning = money. I'm glad to see it, the more engine manufacturers the better. Get BMW-Cosworth back in the mix while they're at it. I was really hoping that the McLaren-Honda would have a potent weapon, but there were a whole bunch of issues going on there, which I think have been brought up earlier in the thread? If not, short version is Honda wanted to build a reliable yet power PU, but McLaren constrained Honda to using a specific shape. Honda relented, but couldn't build the engine to their liking, and sacrificed reliability, which we all saw. When that partnership ended Honda had the opportunity to build a PU to their own specs, and fit the car around it. We've seen those results.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
While I do understand the design intentions behind the McLaren livery this weekend, it still doesn't mean it looks good :ROFLMAO:
It really reminds me of the 2008 and 2009 Renault ING sponsored cars.

2008:
1685154813259.png

2009:
1685154832388.png

McLaren:
1685154950618.png

And details on the special livery:

"McLaren will run a one-off 'Triple Crown' papaya, white and black livery in this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix as part of their 60th anniversary celebrations.

The special livery, which will also adorn the MCL60 at the following race at Spain’s Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, is a nod to McLaren’s achievement of winning motorsport’s three most famous races, known as the Triple Crown, which includes F1’s Monaco race, Indycar’s Indy 500 at Indianapolis and the endurance showpiece – the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The rear of the car – driven by Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri – will be bedecked in papaya, to celebrate the team’s maiden Indy 500-winning M16C/D that Johnny Rutherford guided to victory in 1974.

The centre is what the team call “sharp ice white”, from Alain Prost’s 1984 Monaco Grand Prix win, running a red and white colour scheme on the MP4/2 that became synonymous with McLaren in F1.

The front end of the car is black, in tribute to the McLaren F1 GTR that won the 1995 Le Mans 24 Hours with JJ Lehto, Yannick Dalmas and Masanori Sekiya in McLaren’s first attempt at the endurance race."

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Man what where some of these teams thinking with the tire changes?
Throwing this under a spoiler tag, out of courtesy. For those that haven't watched the race, WTF? :ROFLMAO:

They knew the rain was on its way, but not exactly sure when and how much. During one of the radio transmissions someone had said, "about lap 35", and it was 17 laps after that. So they didn't want to pit to go to fresh slicks, when they'd have to pit again for intermediates or wets. Okay, I can see that.

What I thought was silly was how long some drivers were left out in the rain on their old worn out slicks. In that case I'm presuming that the teams didn't know how much rain was coming, so weren't sure which wet tire to go with. Throw on wets when it's a brief rain and they'll get eaten up really quick on the drying track, and you're pitting again. You get a lot of rain and the inters can't handle it, you're back in the pits for full wets.

I would not want to be the tire strategist during that fiasco.

Reactions: PJx5x

Thread Info