Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I think all things considered this race actually wasnt as boring as I thought it would be. Aside from Lewis and Max driving off into the sunset, I was watching this race as if Alonso were leading, because I'm sure in his mind it felt like he was :LOL: Such a great drive from him today. Even all weekend, something was sparked in him that I haven't seen in a long time. The fact that he couldn't keep the smile off his face after he got out of his car was great to see. And with his 3rd and Ocon's 5th, and the Alpha Tauri's completely falling off the board and scoring no points after they looked so good all weekend, Alpine finally has a lead on them.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I mean the pit lanes were telling those 1 stop drivers to stay off the curbs a ton, and they were still going on them. I also think there was quite a ton of debris on the track from cars hitting the curbs and losing some carbon fiber that was being getting stuck in the tires.

Honestly I was shocked for no safety car with all that debris flying around after 1 or 2 tire deflations, but again they needed to keep Lewis in 1st so the FIA wasn’t going to do it.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, right?

I gotta admit, those tire carcasses really held up well especially for the load they were carrying and at the speeds they let go.

A nice thing about the night races, getting to see a lot of sparks from the titanium skid blocks. The colors on those cars popped pretty well too.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I thought there were going to be some big issues after Bottas dragged half the gravel trap back onto the track with him. Er, sorry, I meant to say BOULDER trap. Jesus those stones were HUGE. I would not want one of those to be kicked up at my head or hands.
I've caught small pebbles before while on the bike going down the highway, doing like 65-80mph. I couldn't imagine the pain of having a boulder like those kicked up and it slamming into my finger.

They looked larger than the spring that took out Massa years ago (2009 Budapest).

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Jesus, I never heard about that. Such a freak incident to cause so much damage. So can we finally take a serious look at sausage curbs?? I mean christ. She has her accident on a saturday, the fia does nothing, and someone else does the same thing on sunday and has the same injury. Both are lucky they can still even walk. Ban sausage curbs!!! Gravel everything!!!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Was going to make this its own thread, but people seem to get pissy about RIP threads for people they don't know who they are.

• Sad
Reactions: Aircal

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Man I am excite for this weekend. But this track looks NARROW. Quali position is going to be KEY, as it is w/ any street track anyways. But everything is completely unknown to the teams, so I'm hoping that should = excitement. Just hope things dont get mired w/ stupid ass penalties. And who's taking bets on who will cause the first red flag??

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also:
Practice 1 - Friday, December 3 - 8.25AM - ESPNU
Practice 2 - Friday, December 3 - 11.55AM - ESPN2

Practice 3 - Saturday, December 4 - 8.55AM - ESPN2
Qualifying - Saturday, December 4 - 11.55AM - ESPNEWS

Grand Prix Sunday - Sunday, December 5 - 11.00AM - ESPNEWS
Saudi Arabia Grand Prix - Sunday, December 5 - 12.25PM - ESPN2/ESPN+

They're really bouncing this weekend around the channels.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Watched FP1. No big surprises, meaning it wasn't all that lively.

I will say this again, DiResta is such a fucking tool. Again he shit all over one of Ted's comments/questions.

Seriously, I'd like to see the very affable Ted drive that scrawny fuck into the ground like a golf tee, then take a massive steaming and greasy shit on his head.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Average speed is 157mph.... that T27 reminds me a bit of the Wall of Champions in Canada.

Qualifying is going to be a total clusterfuck unless the directors get some kind of control over those slow cars looking for a gap. There were some close calls during FP2, lot of blind curves with high rates of closing speed.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yeah I cant remember who brought it up but how much of a disaster would it be if there were a line of slow cars off line, but then someone just decides to dart out to try and get around someone to get a better position, just as another car is closing in at almost 200mph. Fuck I dont even wanna imagine that

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Watching practice was scary, many drivers missing turn 1 multiple times in front of Martin.

I was talking to a buddy and I was thinking strategy wise if I was RedBull I would throw a new engine in max’s car and take the penalty. Given how it looked in practice there are high chances for a crash in turn 1 and in multiple places in the middle of the track as well. You have already proven taking the “penalty” for the new engine can still get you 2nd place easily, so take a chance Lewis has issues and if not, it comes down to the final race and you have the fresher engine

Thread Info