Sports šŸŽļø Official Formula 1 Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also, I donā€™t think the braking markers between T5 and T6 are going to last during the race. Potentially others too.

Theyā€™re running past track limits and getting really close to the signs. Kimi did a bit of a slalom between them ?

ā€¦and into the 1:23ā€™s.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, that was an interesting bit of qualifying. Racers you'd have thought would have done better really tumbled down the order. The spark show coming off the RB's titanium blocks are entertaining to watch. At one point Brundle (?) called it a bonfire.

For MV and VB being that much slower than LH I think they might have gotten a bit closer on their last lap, but Gasly's broken spoiler and blown tire prevented any improvement in the last sector.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I think he's going to push hard but try to keep himself out of trouble. If Merc wants to win this one they need to keep VB between LH and MV for a lot of laps to give them the advantage. However, when you just signed away that critical person they might not be as willing to play ball, as we saw in Mexico City where VB didn't do much to block MV on the first lap. I doubt I would have either. ?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I always put this thread on ignore until Im done watching whatever the days sessions are, and then I always forget to take it back off :LOL:

God damn. The quali prediction algorithms from after FP3 were actually right. Lewis took pole by damn near 5 tenths. That is insane.

Also I actually almost feel bad for mazepin. Nothing has gone his way this weekend :LOL: And hes actually driven here before!

And why do I get the feeling that focus of tomorrows race is going to e mainly on the alpha tauris and alpines? Ferrari and McLaren are nowhere this weekend.

And if that's not enough, we've got stewards involved again, because Max has been called in over potential violation of failing to slow for double waved yellows for Gasly's little incident on the last lap of Q3. God if they give Max a grid penalty.... Bottas and Sainz also summoned for single yellow violations. Here we go again.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Mazespin was driving all over the kerbs during practice, and was told not to, just like all the other drivers. He kind of just kept doing it and vibrated his car apart. IIRC they replaced his entire chassis, so he lost a lot of track time.

What I find frustrating is how they keep changing the defined track limits from one session to the next. Like Button said, it should be the white line, period.

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Hamiltons car was ahead 5 seconds in 4 laps. Thereā€™s no way you can convince me its just because heā€™s such a good driver. Obviously his car is just way faster than everybody elseā€™s. The commentators just push the narrative that heā€™s some divine being that floats over the track and finds pace that nobody else can. Iā€™d love him and bottas To switch cars just once

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My wife even commented that this was nuts. Im convinced something on his car is not legal. He was even with max or did not have the pace for a good portion of the season, suddenly heā€™s putting 8 seconds on 2nd place with ease and nearly lapping the field in the first few laps?

Yea ok.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Iā€™ll actually be happy when he retires. Winning races like that actually hurts the sport. Itā€™s boring, I donā€™t think they even showed Lewis or max for most of the race unless they were in the pits. This year has really opened up how bad the money difference is between teams.

The FIA needs to figure this out. You canā€™t have drivers pulling 6-8 seconds ahead of the second fastest person and then the car after that in 3rd was 40 seconds back. Thatā€™s just nuts.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Theyā€™ve had quite a few years to develop the car, and in prior years had an unlimited budget.

This year was supposed to be the new cars, which now go for 2022. I think weā€™ll see some very different results as they figure the cars out.

Race was kind of boring save for the unexpected issues.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would recommend stiffer engine/power unit penalties as well. This year it doesnā€™t seem to matter. They can start dead last and still finish 2nd on the podium. That should never happen, thatā€™s not a penalty then. It should be a very last resort to change an engine because of the penalties.

I would recommend you start dead last and have a 10 second penalty on your time as well. Once you are out of your allowed amount it should basically cripple you for the following race if you change out.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
See my earlier post about penalties. Each time they take an engine it should be an additional 5 places till you end up at the back of the grid.

Personally Iā€™d like to see the engine limitations lifted entirely. Let them do whatever they want, go nuts. Twin turbo v8ā€™s with electric boost making 2000hp. But reduce aero and physical grip.

Thread Info