Sports šŸŽļø Official Formula 1 Thread

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Really great battle, however it just shows how tilted the current teams or cars are vs others in the field. You are literally having people start dead last in races and still finishing on the podium or 1st place.

Really hope next years car levels the field a bit more. Donā€™t get me wrong I respect the level of talent in the top 3-4, but if you have someone starting 10-15 places back, they shouldnā€™t be able to be in 2nd place in 8 laps with ease. Thatā€™s just crazy

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I just think lewis is lucky it was a sprint weekend. If he had to start the actual race from last place, I don't think he would've had it so easy. Could he have still done it tho? Probabaly. You're just not gonna beat a merc w/ a fresh engine

Max got quite lucky his little "maneuver" didn't catch more heat :LOL:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I just think lewis is lucky it was a sprint weekend. If he had to start the actual race from last place, I don't think he would've had it so easy. Could he have still done it tho? Probabaly. You're just not gonna beat a merc w/ a fresh engine

Max got quite lucky his little "maneuver" didn't catch more heat :LOL:

I think he still would have placed at least 3rd in that case. He did it earlier in the year on the race where he was the only one to start from the track while everyone else changed to slicks from rain tires on the formation lap. It left him in like 19th place. And he podiumed that race.

Like wtf. Yes heā€™s a great driver but there is a huge car difference here.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Iā€™d really like to see the onboard of MVā€™s steering wheel when they both went wide. I know the stewards said they had all the data, but Iā€™d really like to watch that one.

Kind of like when Vettel ran LH wide in Canada and was forced to give up the win. That was when he switched the position markers, and when I became a Vettel fan ?

• Haha
Reactions: IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Kind of like when Vettel ran LH wide in Canada and was forced to give up the win. That was when he switched the position markers, and when I became a Vettel fan ?

I still consider that one of the greatest things Ive witnessed in F1

Although Toto giving the FU point to the stewards on camera after Lewis took first was pretty awesome too :LOL:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Not sure I would say it was a comeback, he started 10th.

If he started first, dropped to last, then won it, Iā€™d call it a comeback.
He had 25 carsā€™ worth of penalties going in to the race, Iā€™d call that a comeback lol. Yeah he gained most of it back in the sprint but still

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Like I and others stated, the sprint saved his ass.

Also, was really nice to see Felipe Massa at the track doing commentary and interviews. You know while he was interviewing LH he just wanted to pop him in the eye for stealing the championship away from him in 2008, at that track.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Like I and others stated, the sprint saved his ass.

Also, was really nice to see Felipe Massa at the track doing commentary and interviews. You know while he was interviewing LH he just wanted to pop him in the eye for stealing the championship away from him in 2008, at that track.

Did you see the interview Massa did with Timo Glock? First time they've spoken in 10 years :LOL: God I still remember that day like it was yesterday. The one thing Glock said that I never realized about that moment, was that he couldn't have even pitted for wet tires if he wanted to, because it was so close to the end of that race the were already prepping the podium and everything in the pitlane, so the pitlane was essentially closed. There really was nothing Glock could have done out there

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Did you see the interview Massa did with Timo Glock? First time they've spoken in 10 years :LOL: God I still remember that day like it was yesterday. The one thing Glock said that I never realized about that moment, was that he couldn't have even pitted for wet tires if he wanted to, because it was so close to the end of that race the were already prepping the podium and everything in the pitlane, so the pitlane was essentially closed. There really was nothing Glock could have done out there
No! Completely missed that. Where did you see it?

I am surprised that we didn't see the man that beat the Stig, Rubens Barrichello.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I remember watching that race live. What a roller coaster of emotions for so many people.

Something that is hard to keep in perspective, Felipe is only 5' 5". I was watching the F1 post-sprint race and the tall blonde woman (forget her name), was towering over him. I'm thinking either she's s freak in height, like former volleyball or basketball player, or he is really short.

It's the latter. :rofl:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It's Rosanna Tennant:

1636944353985.png

1636944436412.png

Reactions: Aircal and IDAFC21

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Race director Michael Masi examined the encounter, and determined no investigation was necessary, stating on broadcast he "obviously had a good look at it." Later, however, Masi admitted that he, like global TV audiences, hadn't watched it from onboard Verstappen's carā€”he had made the call without seeing the corner from the Red Bull's perspective.

"It hasn't been obtained yet. It's been requested," Masi told RaceFans on Sunday. "It's only the cameras that are broadcast is basically what we have access to throughout the week."

Masi acknowledged that viewing the onboard could "potentially, absolutely" change the ruling, adding that "once the commercial rights holder supplies it, we'll have a look."

Tuesday morning, that footage finally came out, and it shows Verstappen never applied enough steering angle to even suggest he expected to make the corner. Verstappen only tightens his steering well after missing the apexā€”after Hamilton had been forced to back out of his attempted passā€”and gets back on the throttle sooner, before even leaving the asphalt. This is not what a racing driver struggling to control understeer does. That Verstappen didn't lock either front tire doesn't help his case, and makes one thing clear: Verstappen drove Hamilton off the track, and got off scot-free.

So far, anyway, as Mercedes-AMG F1 tweeted Tuesday morning that it has requested the incident be reviewed. It's not yet clear what sort of penalty Verstappen could face if F1 reverses its decision; a retroactive time penalty would influence the finishing order, and thus the championship. Valtteri Bottas finished only about three seconds adrift of the Dutchman and would inherit three of his points if such a penalty were applied, narrowing Verstappen's drivers' championship lead to 11 points and extending Mercedes' constructors' lead to 17.

Potentially more painful, however, could be a grid penalty, as F1's next stop is at Losail International Circuit for the (highly questionable) Qatar Grand Prix. It's F1's first visit to the track, which could shake up the running order, and not necessarily to Red Bull's advantage.

But what's clear beyond a doubt is that there are issues with how F1 is handling investigations mid-race. Now that we know the race director is making calls based on woefully incomplete information, it calls into question how many other rulings have been botched in recent racesā€”or seasons. It might do something to explain F1's painfully inconsistent penalties, though.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
He went in to the corner hot and didn't hit the apex (probably intentionally to keep LH wide), but I personally see it as a racing incident. Nothing malicious there, and you can't expect a racer to hit a perfect line every time when they're wheel to wheel

If he'd have blatantly loosened up his steering angle then I'd agree it was dangerous and deserves a penalty, but he didn't

LH took 25 points off MV at silverstone when he sent him in to the wall at 160mph, and he got off virtually scot-free. There also lewis took a shit line, never got close to the apex, and as a result touched MV's BACK tire which was totally avoidable. Don't be upset when every call doesn't go your way, especially when you walk away with a first & third finish at Brazil.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I mean. He's gonna push Hamilton wide. That's what any racing driver would do, especially one fighting for every point of his life. I think the real question should be was the intent malicious or dangerous? I dont see it in that onboard. Maybe he didnt turn in as quickly as he "should" have.....but he never turned OUT either. What do i know tho.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I mean. He's gonna push Hamilton wide. That's what any racing driver would do, especially one fighting for every point of his life. I think the real question should be was the intent malicious or dangerous? I dont see it in that onboard. Maybe he didnt turn in as quickly as he "should" have.....but he never turned OUT either. What do i know tho.
This exactly. Max isnā€™t going to just let him go by. Thatā€™s why itā€™s so riveting to watch. I told the wife thereā€™s no way Hamilton goes around max without any incident and I was right.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Verstappen better not get a penalty for this

EDIT looks like it actually was just released that he won't be penalized. Good

Thread Info