Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Okay, just finished the race, and that was a really good one. I'm torn between Bottas and Ricciardo for DotD. I have to give it to Ricciardo since we know Bottas's Merc is a bonafide championship car and the McLaren is still catching up.

That LH/MV crash, that's a tough call. I have to favor MV being the primary contributor. LH did stay as tight as he could into T1 and tried to keep on the line for T2. MV got greedy and aggressive and bounced himself off the curbing by going too deep and trying to cut it tight to make up for it.

That roll-hoop and halo definitely saved LH from injury. That tire was spinning right over his head. I'm curious to know if there are any skid marks on his helmet. You know he's got skid marks in his shorts.

I like how Ricciardo's smile is so infectious that all of Monza is grinning with him. Hopefully DTS includes a lot of this race in the next season.

Years prior I was in the LH camp cause I liked to see how many wins he could pull off. But lately I'm so tired of his whining. I can't stand MV, so I'm in the camp of "I like whoever wins as long as it's not LH or MV".

Watching the post-race interview with Bottas where he just saw the crash. Man he was fighting back a laugh, you could see his face starting to contort.
DC, "What do you think of the incident?"
VB, "It was unfortunate...." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bottas made up 17 positions and LH can't keep from crashing in the slowest corner of the track. On the podium without having LH up there as well you can see he is genuinely happy. Good for him.

DC, "Ricciardo, you're the winner here."
VB, "Can I swear? I want to swear."

He's earned this, and his shoey.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Lewis’s super aggressive non yielding driving style lately just slows he knows he’s been beat, and is desperate at all costs
Max is also aggressive af and basically never yields, which is why both accidents were shared fault. That’s fine but at least penalize them consistently

Lewis knew exactly what he was doing when he refused to yield and clipped Max’s rear tire at silverstone. He’s done that shit multiple times over the years

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
DiResshhhhhhta actually had something of value to contribute in the post-race analysis. MV cut off LH on lap 1 at T4/T5 leaving less room than LH did for MV. MV did the same thing in the same turns as last year as well.

MV could have gone across the kerbing and kept his position behind LH. If MV is such an exceptional driver he could have made a pass further on.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Watched the race earlier today and then had to go hang w/ some family thats out here visiting. Just starting all the post race stuff now. Didnt know about the penalty until I looked in this thread. and WTF. That is such bullshit. And that's all I'm gonna say about it. Such bullshit.

Score 1 more for the halo tho. They'd be scraping Hamilton out of the inside of that car w/out it. That one straight on slo mo shot was so awesome to see. I mean who could even script that shit. If Max's pitstop hadn't been complete shit, and Hamiltons pit stop hadnt been semi shit, they would have never even been near each other in this race. The pit crews are the ones that caused all of this.

But a freakin McLaren 1 - 2, with Danny Ric on top, you can't write that shit. I enjoyed the hell out of that.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
“Advances in menswear”

giphy.gif

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

I'll save you the onslaught of ads:

Formula One teams have pretty much always been allowed to run anyone they wish to during free practice sessions. Obviously there are some limits to that, they need to hold a Super License, for instance. Theo Pourchaire (above) sat in on a private test with Alfa Romeo earlier this season, but teams rarely use their weekend track time to test new talent. F1 wants that to change, permanently.

Starting in 2022 teams will be forced by the series to run young drivers in Friday’s FP1 session. There isn’t an indication yet as to how exactly this system will work, and how many race weekends young drivers will need to run by team. Obviously this wouldn’t work during weekends where Sprint events are held, because FP1 is the only on-track session before Friday’s qualifying session. The current idea sees at least three Friday sessions be used to test young drivers next season per team, with that number growing every year from there on.

“Friday running is coming in,” said F1 managing director Ross Brawn. “On Friday, each team will have to run FP1 with a rookie. And we’re being very careful about how we define a rookie. Let’s wait and see how we define it. I think it’s next year they’ll need to run a young driver on a Friday, every team a certain number of occasions.”

A few of the teams on the grid don’t already have young driver programs in place, notably McLaren and Aston Martin. There is plenty of talent to pull from the various ladder series. Personally, I’d like to see McLaren haul Patricio O’ward over from IndyCar to do a bit of running.

For years teams have hired designated test and practice drivers only to make them sit at the back of the garage session after session. This is a good move to get more drivers acclimated to on-track action in a full-boat F1 car. Furthermore, it might give teams the kick in the hind end that they need to kick out old-guard drivers like Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel and bring in some hot new potential championship contender. Then again, it might give those older drivers incentive to go even faster. As long as this doesn’t end up like the churn-and-burn technique that Red Bull has used to bulldoze through drivers for a decade.

Let’s see who is really fast.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Randy Pobst scolding MV:

Good pic, and def pretty clear whose fault it was. I still maintain that the penalty should have been (at a minimum) the same between this crash and the one at silverstone though. If anything the silverstone penalty on hamilton could have been more severe than this penalty for Max because LH went on to win, whereas in this one they both DNF'd

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ

I'll save you the onslaught of ads:

Formula One teams have pretty much always been allowed to run anyone they wish to during free practice sessions. Obviously there are some limits to that, they need to hold a Super License, for instance. Theo Pourchaire (above) sat in on a private test with Alfa Romeo earlier this season, but teams rarely use their weekend track time to test new talent. F1 wants that to change, permanently.

Starting in 2022 teams will be forced by the series to run young drivers in Friday’s FP1 session. There isn’t an indication yet as to how exactly this system will work, and how many race weekends young drivers will need to run by team. Obviously this wouldn’t work during weekends where Sprint events are held, because FP1 is the only on-track session before Friday’s qualifying session. The current idea sees at least three Friday sessions be used to test young drivers next season per team, with that number growing every year from there on.

“Friday running is coming in,” said F1 managing director Ross Brawn. “On Friday, each team will have to run FP1 with a rookie. And we’re being very careful about how we define a rookie. Let’s wait and see how we define it. I think it’s next year they’ll need to run a young driver on a Friday, every team a certain number of occasions.”

A few of the teams on the grid don’t already have young driver programs in place, notably McLaren and Aston Martin. There is plenty of talent to pull from the various ladder series. Personally, I’d like to see McLaren haul Patricio O’ward over from IndyCar to do a bit of running.

For years teams have hired designated test and practice drivers only to make them sit at the back of the garage session after session. This is a good move to get more drivers acclimated to on-track action in a full-boat F1 car. Furthermore, it might give teams the kick in the hind end that they need to kick out old-guard drivers like Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel and bring in some hot new potential championship contender. Then again, it might give those older drivers incentive to go even faster. As long as this doesn’t end up like the churn-and-burn technique that Red Bull has used to bulldoze through drivers for a decade.

Let’s see who is really fast.

I like this idea.

But I also can't help but think what kind of on track carnage we'll see putting so many rookies on track at one time, all trying to prove something :LOL: All I see is a lotta overtime for the mechanics

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
The fan part of me screams bullshit, but take that out of the equation, and I can kinda understand how he was seen to be more at fault...........but i still think its bullshit. These guys are in a title fight, NEITHER one of them is going to back down in a corner ever. And that crash and this penalty is going to change NOTHING about the way they race each other for the rest of the year. So are we just gonna penalize them until we have a champion? Let them race.

Thread Info