Sports 🏎️ Official Formula 1 Thread

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Def shouldn't be anywhere near that bad. I'm just saying it's clear that bottas was treated like a #2 driver even though toto says that's not how mercedes works. I don't think they'll treat Russell the same way, and Hamilton will miss the preferential treatment.

I think the HAM/ROS battles taught them for those HAM prime years, they need a team player #2 driver and not someone who wants it as bad as ROS did. It's no surprise that he won his title and quit.

I think George wants it (a world title) as bad as HAM does and as bad as ROS did, so we're going to see more on-track battle and I think the team orders are gonna be harder for RUS to swallow than for BOT. It seems like MB is preparing for their #1 once HAM is done and RUS is it. Gonna be epic to watch (I hope).

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I think Merc is going to put the reigns on Russell, like they did to Bottas and it's going to fuck his career, unless Sir Whiny retires. I don't think Bottas was given a fair chance. He had more opportunity than if he were still at Williams, but knowing you're being forced into the #2 driver position is just psychologically demoralizing, especially if you know you can beat your teammate.

I really hope Sauber has a competitive car next year and Mercedes falls on their asses.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Oh man. I am both ecstatic and terrified for Russell's career now. I know he'll do well in the car, but I hope he can find a balance of performing well and not clashing too much w/ Hamilton. Merc and Hamilton have had their way w/ Bottas for so long now and I don't think Russell's going to be as compliant. But he's smart, so I think once he gets settled in he'll know when to play the team game and when he can freelance, for lack of a better term

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
I think Merc is going to put the reigns on Russell, like they did to Bottas and it's going to fuck his career, unless Sir Whiny retires. I don't think Bottas was given a fair chance. He had more opportunity than if he were still at Williams, but knowing you're being forced into the #2 driver position is just psychologically demoralizing, especially if you know you can beat your teammate.

I really hope Sauber has a competitive car next year and Mercedes falls on their asses.

Bottas had some shit luck over the years but I think he definitely had a fair chance. He was put into the best car on the grid.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not really, more of a disappointment. Button put out a release saying it'll be good for him to show what he can do in F1. Well, he did that already, with two different teams. They should have given the spot to someone else, coming up through the ranks to get their foot into F1.

Or bring back Hulkenberg.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Not really, more of a disappointment. Button put out a release saying it'll be good for him to show what he can do in F1. Well, he did that already, with two different teams. They should have given the spot to someone else, coming up through the ranks to get their foot into F1.

Or bring back Hulkenberg.

It is Williams afterall. Not sure if Albon is a pay driver like Mazaspin, so it's not like they'll be competing for a championship.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It is Williams afterall. Not sure if Albon is a pay driver like Mazaspin, so it's not like they'll be competing for a championship.
Albon is not wealthy and doesn't have any benefactors that I'm aware of

I agree the dude had his shot with a top team and blew it, no need to bring him back IMO

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Albon is not wealthy and doesn't have any benefactors that I'm aware of

I agree the dude had his shot with a top team and blew it, no need to bring him back IMO

I'm kind of in this camp as well. And I LIKE Albon, but I haven't really been clamoring for him to get another chance. but we'll see. Who knows what's gonna happen with the new gen cars next year.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
havent watched the race yet but I did watch the LH and MV crash and read the penalty, and frankly it’s bullshit. When Lewis caused a crash that put MV in to the wall at 160 and LH won the race, no penalty for him. In this case they BOTH crash out and both caused the crash IMO, yet max gets penalized. Fucking Lewis always comes out WAY ahead when shared-fault racing incidents happen. It’s annoying.

Thread Info