Sports šŸŽļø Official Formula 1 Thread

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
No RB/Porsche because they both wanted controlling stake. Thatā€™s where it fell apart.

Part of the cause of the deal with Porsche falling through is that Red Bull deemed the manufacturer to be potentially too interventionist. Therefore, the ideal partner will likely be one that invests well but keeps its distance. A return to the Tag Heuer-style branding exercise that Red Bull ran in lieu of the Renault stickers between 2016 and 2018 would be appealing on that front.

Yikes

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but for overall better racing and enjoyment, there should be things like: smaller cars, same cockpit - teams allowed to do small changes to front and rear wing design, race refueling, maybe one or two engine manufacturers, and a handful of other things. It would bring so much more enjoyment to watching races.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Well you have another factory team coming in but at the expense of a factory team Alfa Romeo.
Alfa is a "factory" team like aston marton is a "factory" team. They don't make engines, they have a pay driver, and they're privately owned. Alfa just pays to slap their name on there, like aston

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Which is sad because they are one of the original racing teams and used their own engines.

Cars are too large and too much aero, along with too many constraints. The size inevitably comes down to safety and having to carry an entire race worth of fuel.
Or don't carry an entire race worth of fuel, Indy Car doesn't, and they're fine.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Can't have the fastest pit stops in the world (bragging rights) coming in under 2 seconds if you have to add a splash of fuel.

The cars need to embrace their past, late 80's early 90's designs
1670426716477.png

• Love

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They wonā€™t go back to refueling, for terms of safety.

A lot of other racing sports use refuelingā€¦. so ??ā€ā™‚ļø
Yep. Regardless how they do it (lower fuel consumption, shorter races, lighter cars), making the cars smaller and more durable should 100% be part of the long term plan. I've read a little about them wanting to make cars shorter and lighter in 2026 but don't see any specifics

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Yep. Regardless how they do it (lower fuel consumption, shorter races, lighter cars), making the cars smaller and more durable should 100% be part of the long term plan. I've read a little about them wanting to make cars shorter and lighter in 2026 but don't see any specifics
Problem with the cars being more powerful and faster how can you make the cars safer and yet keep the same size? seems safety of the river and the cars being larger go hand in hand

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yea I see what ur saying, very true. Still losing a ā€œfactoryā€ team name
But gaining all the investment from an actual factory team, who doesn't have to worry as much about budgets as sauber (alfa) or stroll (aston).

IMO alfa and aston should be embarrassed. You make cars for a living, if you're gonna go racing, go racing. Nobody is impressed that you're paying to put a sticker on a car and outsourcing parts/r&d to other entities/automakers.

It's funny to me that even in f1, much like in their production cars, the brit carmakers (mclaren, aston) still outsource all the difficult stuff to the germans lol

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Problem with the cars being more powerful and faster how can you make the cars safer and yet keep the same size? seems safety of the river and the cars being larger go hand in hand
We don't care about record setting lap times year after year, give me good, hard, fun racing with action all throughout the field - like MotoGP

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
We don't care about record setting lap times year after year, give me good, hard, fun racing with action all throughout the field - like MotoGP
Agree 100%, the best F1 racing is done from P10 to P5 and we are not seeing any records broken there. I have been watching alot of GT Cup racing on MortorsportTV and love IT

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
But gaining all the investment from an actual factory team, who doesn't have to worry as much about budgets as sauber (alfa) or stroll (aston).

IMO alfa and aston should be embarrassed. You make cars for a living, if you're gonna go racing, go racing. Nobody is impressed that you're paying to put a sticker on a car and outsourcing parts/r&d to other entities/automakers.

It's funny to me that even in f1, much like in their production cars, the brit carmakers (mclaren, aston) still outsource all the difficult stuff to the german

It's funny to me that even in f1, much like in their production cars, the brit carmakers (mclaren, aston) still outsource all the difficult stuff to the germans lol
But I may be mistaken but Merc F1 cars are built in the UK

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
F1 Sprint venues and dates for 2023

Grand Prix Circuit Date
AzerbaijanBaku City CircuitApril 28-30
AustriaRed Bull RingJune 30 - July 2
BelgiumSpa-FrancorchampsJuly 28-30
QatarLosail CircuitOctober 06-08
United StatesCircuit of The AmericasOctober 20-22
Sao PauloInterlagosNovember 3-5

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
F1 Sprint venues and dates for 2023

Grand Prix Circuit Date
AzerbaijanBaku City CircuitApril 28-30
AustriaRed Bull RingJune 30 - July 2
BelgiumSpa-FrancorchampsJuly 28-30
QatarLosail CircuitOctober 06-08
United StatesCircuit of The AmericasOctober 20-22
Sao PauloInterlagosNovember 3-5
Austin will be even better this year!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
No idea why they haven't done this sooner. Never understood why they travel 1/2 way around the world, just to turn around and go back. I can see some exceptions based on temperate zone, meaning, do you really want to race in the desert in the middle of summer?

Thread Info