Official Ford Maverick thread.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It is kinda cool to see a new vehicle launch that focuses on value, utility, and minimalism. Ferd must realize that the full size pickup scene has gone batshit crazy with allllll kinds of stuff nobody wants. Automatic trailer backup, $5000 tailgates that can chop wood for you and make you food, 250 sq ft of cabin space, etcetc.

Reactions: Yaj Yak
It is kinda cool to see a new vehicle launch that focuses on value, utility, and minimalism. Ferd must realize that the full size pickup scene has gone batshit crazy with allllll kinds of stuff nobody wants. Automatic trailer backup, $5000 tailgates that can chop wood for you and make you food, 250 sq ft of cabin space, etcetc.

Not to mention mpg. Hopefully this gets 30 mpg on the expressway.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

I think there's a few things;

First off the ride height and size for trucks is fucking huge now. I was in a lot at a hotel next to a 90s C1500. My Colorado was probably 4 inches taller and if it was dimensionally smaller in any way I'd be somewhat surprised. I feel almost like I want to drop my truck to bring it back into parity with what trucks rode at back in the day. What's funny is that a basic bitch F150 now has towing capacity of 8200lbs, which is more than a 3/4 ton of the 90s and at the high end you can get an f150 that is rated higher towing that a super duty from the mid 90s with a PSD in it. Hell my "mid sized" truck is rated to 1500lbs more than an early 90s half ton.

Second though and this is the biggie in my mind is that to get anything other than a basic bitch truck from Ford in a full size is $50-60K. An XL at $35K is stripped down as fuck, the ride isn't as good, the noise levels are higher based on test driving this year. We bought a Colorado because it towed what we needed it to (which cut the Ranger out of the mix however could have been done by one of the Japanese Trucks) and we got a very nicely equipped Z71 for a lower price than we would have on the stripped F150. I think that the 3500lb tow rating on the Ranger will have to go up to match the Japanese makers for this reason otherwise the'll sell a ton of Mavericks and the Ranger will be forgotten about. Honda was smart enough to see that even 4250lbs was costing them sales much less 3500.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

That's why I’m swinging so hard off of this thing. I've always liked minimalistic stuff (as long as the price reflects it) and getting the most utility out of a vehicle since the shit I drive is asked to wear many different hats. I'm still averaging over 40,000 miles/year, frequent towing, off road use, etc. If I had a gun put to my head and said you have to own one vehicle it would be a CCLB 1-ton SRW 4x4 diesel. Problem is they're ungodly expensive to purchase and run, so the one that I have I'm trying not to burn up in 3-4 years lol.

I'm figuring 75% of my daily driving and light hauling I can tackle with this. I may sell my 6x14 steel single axle trailer and replace it with an aluminum 6x10 so that I can put a 1500# payload on and tow staying under the 2000# rating the hybrid is supposedly getting since a lot of what I end up buying from these random auctions are a gator or other SxS, a couple commercial lawn mowers, etc.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've been saying for a long time on here that if someone makes a small truck that can average 35+ MPG and doesn't start in the $30,000 range I'll be all over it, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I've given up on the pre 2011 Rangers at this point because the cab is cramped as hell, they can't tow shit and are dismal with RWD in the winter being so light unless you weigh them down with sand which absolutely nukes the mileage. And on their best day I really only see 21-23 MPG out of them. The inconvenience didn't outweigh the mileage when I can get high teens in my 05 Yukon and tow 5000#'s if needed.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Not to mention mpg. Hopefully this gets 30 mpg on the expressway.

After looking into it, the big deal killer for me is the XLT doesn't have wireless charging. That being said my payment went from $530ish to $420ish. Maybe I can just continue to plug my phone in :LOL:. I'm very interested to see what they rate the hybrid highway mpg's at.

They're claiming 40 city with a combined 37. Leads me to believe we should be somewhere around 32-34 city if it gets rated how most other hybrids do.

I'm still holding out hope that you'll be able to order an XL with cruise control. They do an XL convenience package with their F-150's and Super Duty trucks, I'd imagine they'll do something like that with these. Most of the options you have to choose from would pretty much be considered "accessories" at this point.

The tow hitch is $100, the inverter is $150. If there's a couple hundred dollar convenience package that gets me cruise and better still power/heated mirrors that's all I'll end up with. I'd love heated seats and a steering wheel but I don't care enough to pay to go up a trim level and add an option group if I don't have to.

Reactions: dun4791

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I've been saying for a long time on here that if someone makes a small truck that can average 35+ MPG and doesn't start in the $30,000 range I'll be all over it, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I've given up on the pre 2011 Rangers at this point because the cab is cramped as hell, they can't tow shit and are dismal with RWD in the winter being so light unless you weigh them down with sand which absolutely nukes the mileage. And on their best day I really only see 21-23 MPG out of them. The inconvenience didn't outweigh the mileage when I can get high teens in my 05 Yukon and tow 5000#'s if needed.

My dad's manual 2.2 S10 got 27ish highway with 4.11s in the back on the highway. If it's not a 3L or a 4L I am kind of surprised about the mileage. My Astro would do 22 regularly on the highway with a TBI 4.3L V6 much less anything special and got a best of 25 drafting semis through Ohio once.

I would be curious to see what one of the modern gas power trains in a vehicle that light would do. There was a huge leap between the 70s and the early 80s, then a bit more in the mid to late 90s (but largely stagnation) and now in the last decade or so we've again seen huge leaps. A Ranger or S10 with a modern 2.2 (and likely more importantly the transmission) would likely be amazing. They don't have the best drag coefficient but the weight differences are huge and they'd probably have less frontal area anyways.

I'd think getting clean Rangers that are still in a state to be reliable transportation is getting progressively harder.

They're claiming 40 city with a combined 37. Leads me to believe we should be somewhere around 32-34 city if it gets rated how most other hybrids do.

I'm still holding out hope that you'll be able to order an XL with cruise control. They do an XL convenience package with their F-150's and Super Duty trucks, I'd imagine they'll do something like that with these. Most of the options you have to choose from would pretty much be considered "accessories" at this point.

The tow hitch is $100, the inverter is $150. If there's a couple hundred dollar convenience package that gets me cruise and better still power/heated mirrors that's all I'll end up with. I'd love heated seats and a steering wheel but I don't care enough to pay to go up a trim level and add an option group if I don't have to.

I like the standard xlt with just the hitch and inverter options. Really like the xlt wheels. I am leaning towards that Area 51 color though since I’ve seen the interior color on the review. Kind of weird for me to be excited about a new vehicle. Last new vehicle I was excited about was the trackhawk that is until they priced it. Yeah, no

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Would buy a Santa Cruz probably over this, more payload, more towing and more hp in the top model.

probably be built nicer than the ferd also

looks sweet.

1626446137482.png

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Both the Maverick and Santa Cruz are on my shopping list. My new employer gives me a healthy car allowance, and pays gas and oil changes. So no need for the hybrid. For both, I'd go turbo, AWD, cloth seats. So Mav XLT with luxury pkg and FX4 and 4k towing pkg, and Santa Cruz Premium. The Mav ends up about $5-6k cheaper ($30 to $31k vs $36k) based on how I would build them. The Mav would also have just enough room in the bed for my motorcycle with the rear tire on the tailgate, but the Santa Cruz would likely not based on bed and tailgate dimensions. I much prefer the styling and likely performance advantages of the Hyundai, but the cost difference and bed dimensions likely will make me choose the Maverick.

I'll try to check them both out at the autoshow this weekend though.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
ah im unsure.

but yeah typically like when raptor says 1400lbs that's whole fucking truck. so 4 two hunna pound dudes you're down to 600 remaining
I’m aware sir, I found an article that says max bed payload is 660lbs which is plenty for a 4’ long bed. Unsure if that includes the storage in the bed. Put 4 grown men in the cab with “stuff” and you’re pretty close to there though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info