Official Ford Maverick thread.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Both the Maverick and Santa Cruz are on my shopping list. My new employer gives me a healthy car allowance, and pays gas and oil changes. So no need for the hybrid. For both, I'd go turbo, AWD, cloth seats. So Mav XLT with luxury pkg and FX4 and 4k towing pkg, and Santa Cruz Premium. The Mav ends up about $5-6k cheaper ($30 to $31k vs $36k) based on how I would build them. The Mav would also have just enough room in the bed for my motorcycle with the rear tire on the tailgate, but the Santa Cruz would likely not based on bed and tailgate dimensions. I much prefer the styling and likely performance advantages of the Hyundai, but the cost difference and bed dimensions likely will make me choose the Maverick.

I'll try to check them both out at the autoshow this weekend though.

Hyundai didn’t bring any cars to the show this year.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Hyundai didn’t bring any cars to the show this year.
Ugh, well that would spare me making the trip to Chicago. I'm guessing there is a pre-production Maverick that can be viewed though?

Edit: Here's a list that shows the vehicles there. Maverick is on display so I might still head there.

Reactions: Bru

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I was watching a YouTube video (trying to find the link) on the Maverick, and essentially what the creators consensus was that by looking at the floor pans, battery location and a few other things, that we should expect to possibly see a plug-in hybrid version (battery location has a mirrored indent in the floor pan underneath rear seats) and an AWD hybrid shortly down the pipeline. Both of those options would potentially stop me from buying one right away because I would certainly check both of those options if available.

Once again, trying to find the video.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I was watching a YouTube video (trying to find the link) on the Maverick, and essentially what the creators consensus was that by looking at the floor pans, battery location and a few other things, that we should expect to possibly see a plug-in hybrid version (battery location has a mirrored indent in the floor pan underneath rear seats) and an AWD hybrid shortly down the pipeline. Both of those options would potentially stop me from buying one right away because I would certainly check both of those options if available.

Once again, trying to find the video.

Escape has a plug-in hybrid, so not surprising. Though Escape PHEV is FWD only I believe.

Reactions: Outlaw and Yaj Yak

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Because domestic manufacturers don't think logically.

To some degree (mostly on education of such technologies) but domestic consumers are also to blame. A good PHEV is likely sufficient for most peoples’ driving habits but people don’t like compromise, middle-of-the-road solutions. All of these European automakers also have them because of European emissions regulations where there are currently, and more coming, no-gas\diesel-city centers.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
In all reality, plug-in hybrid is extra battery capacity and software away from being a thing. I can’t see why they would not consider it.

It would kill the already fragile towing/payload numbers. More weight from a bigger battery and additional motor - sans any other changes— would mean less work capacity. And this being a utility vehicle, they might not want to take away ratings that don’t have much to give.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It would kill the already fragile towing/payload numbers. More weight from a bigger battery and additional motor - sans any other changes— would mean less work capacity. And this being a utility vehicle, they might not want to take away ratings that don’t have much to give.

Would it need an additional electric motor? I'm admittedly dumb when it comes to hybrid systems in general, but as far as I understand it would it not just use the existing electric motor in the hybrid system or a higher powered version in its place? I'd imagine the additional battery pack would weigh a few hundred pounds additional no argument there. At 2k towing for the hybrid, I'd imagine it would bump it down 20-25% with the added weight.

Another consideration for why the space is there unused is maybe there will eventually be a plug-in EV version. Seems to be the way Ford is going. Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, 100% EV Transit, etc. I could see that being viable for fleets that operate in a city center or for a local municipality. Would be a good vehicle for utility locators and similar.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
To some degree (mostly on education of such technologies) but domestic consumers are also to blame. A good PHEV is likely sufficient for most peoples’ driving habits but people don’t like compromise, middle-of-the-road solutions. All of these European automakers also have them because of European emissions regulations where there are currently, and more coming, no-gas\diesel-city centers.

I could see this especially after getting asked by a few here if I was going to get a full size after my initial towing reports with the Colorado. It's certainly a compromise towing the RV compared to a full size but that only happens say 2-3K miles a year if that. It's a hell of a lot of cash to get a similarly equipped full size with options that matter (e.g. not a similar power level V6 engine and yet more weight.) feeding it and any additional insurance costs even if I have to do something to the powertrain over the life of the truck. It also ignores other aspects such as city parking being easier.

The adaptability could also be that it's a "global" vehicle and as such it'll need to be adaptable to a lot of differing markets e.g. cool shit other countries will get but not us. It may be commonality in parts from the parent vehicle as well. Why make new stamping dies if you can use existing ones?

I think this would be good for auto parts store runners too. I see them buying a fuckton of these, they really seemed to hold on to the Rangers for a long time.

Reactions: Outlaw

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Would it need an additional electric motor?

Another consideration for why the space is there unused is maybe there will eventually be a plug-in EV version.

I mentioned the additional motor per the said rumors. It likely wouldn’t be needed for a PHEV like what’s offered on the platform-mate Escape.

And a full EV won’t happen on this platform.

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I could see this especially after getting asked by a few here if I was going to get a full size after my initial towing reports with the Colorado. It's certainly a compromise towing the RV compared to a full size but that only happens say 2-3K miles a year if that. It's a hell of a lot of cash to get a similarly equipped full size with options that matter (e.g. not a similar power level V6 engine and yet more weight.) feeding it and any additional insurance costs even if I have to do something to the powertrain over the life of the truck. It also ignores other aspects such as city parking being easier.

The adaptability could also be that it's a "global" vehicle and as such it'll need to be adaptable to a lot of differing markets e.g. cool shit other countries will get but not us. It may be commonality in parts from the parent vehicle as well. Why make new stamping dies if you can use existing ones?

I think this would be good for auto parts store runners too. I see them buying a fuckton of these, they really seemed to hold on to the Rangers for a long time.

I think a lot of fleets are going to eat these up. ComEd runs escape hybrids for flaggers, inspectors, etc with small build outs in the back. These will be super popular and the upfitters will jump on board immediately with rear seat delete slide outs, ladder racks, boxes, etc.

This is the perfect compromise vehicle for so many types of people IMO. Not only the weekend hobbyist, Home Depot run types but even someone like me who uses the shit out of their vehicles from a miles-per-year and utility standpoint. I was able to do a lot with my TDI and a harbor freight trailer, and that’s helping me a ton justifying going with FWD over AWD knowing what situations I got that little car in and out of. But being in the same ballpark from a fuel economy standpoint in something with an actual BED is going to be amazing. It’s the perfect complimenting vehicle for my F-350 and upgrade for my Yukon as far as cargo space and mileage goes. I’m hoping there will be a push for aftermarket on these soon after release and I can pick up a used set of XL wheels on the cheap for snows since that was a must with FWD and off-pavement use in the winter and muddy spring.

I haven’t been this excited for a vehicle in years.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I just made a reservation at my local Ford dealer for one to replace my GTI. For my new job, I'll need the extra cargo area that the GTI doesn't quite have. And I don't really want a full size truck or SUV. A smaller and nimble "sport compact truck" like this should best meet my requirements. I was really happy with my Focus ST, so I'm hopeful this powerplant will be as fulfilling even with an 8 speed automatic, and ready for a tune as well when I feel the need for it. I'll be in northern states quite a bit (WI, Dakotas, MN, MI, and IL), and my employer will cover fuel costs and oil changes along with a car allowance. So I'm ordering an XLT AWD 2.0T with Tow Pkg and Lux Pkg. Probably won't be built and shipped until at least October, though, so I'll be playing the waiting game for a bit. I still want to check out a Santa Cruz, though while I'm waiting...

Reactions: RAM-ROD

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I was really happy with my Focus ST, so I'm hopeful this powerplant will be as fulfilling even with an 8 speed automatic, and ready for a tune as well when I feel the need for it. I'll be in northern states quite a bit (WI, Dakotas, MN, MI, and IL), and my employer will cover fuel costs and oil changes along with a car allowance. So I'm ordering an XLT AWD 2.0T with Tow Pkg and Lux Pkg. Probably won't be built and shipped until at least October, though, so I'll be playing the waiting game for a bit. I still want to check out a Santa Cruz, though while I'm waiting...

The 2.0t/8A we had in the Bronco Sport AWD we test drove was decent. I felt it had a lot more pickup and was also smoother than the 2.0t/6A in my old ‘17 Fusion AWD.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
The 2.0t/8A we had in the Bronco Sport AWD we test drove was decent. I felt it had a lot more pickup and was also smoother than the 2.0t/6A in my old ‘17 Fusion AWD.
The 6a was a weak point in the Fusion, so hopefully the 8a is not an issue. I test drove an Edge (about 400 lbs heavier and another 200 lb sales guy) with the 2.0t and 8a and was satisfied. Car and Driver is getting high 5 second 0 to 60 from the Escape and Bronco Sport with the 2.0t and AWD and those weigh the same as the Maverick. I think it'll be a fine work/daily driver for those of us that don't need a F150 sized truck.

Reactions: torquelover

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info