🏡 Better Homes Official DEEZUZ Copperpot Barndeminium thread

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
How do you typically insulate barndominiums? Just put foam between the steel supports on the barn side, and use lumber & batts for the living area?
Insulation is no different than a normal stick framed house, just much larger bats of insulation.

It also does a better job of insulating because lumber is technically a thermal bridge.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Kyle explains it really well quite a few times if you want to watch his build series shows on YouTube. Plus he's local so the techniques he uses are perfect for our area of the country.

1649788304493.png

So it's just huge 8' wide batts of insulation in a 6" deep cavity. Great insulation properties.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I know DEEZUZ DEEZUZ wants heated floors throughout. My quote to heat the 950 sq ft slab in my garage was $15k. My GC friend's quote to heat a garage and driveway came back at $35k (so about the same cost per ft as my quote).

So just heating your floors will cost over $60k for even a small barndo.

1649788343715.jpeg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Cost isn't cheap by any means, but it's quite a bit cheaper than a house per sq ft. An insulated shop is around $40-$50 a sq ft. Adding rooms and finishes inside would probably kick that area up to $70-$100. I just did something similar for a customer. A 48x80 building with about half of it finished is someplace between $200-$225k total. But price depends so much on the details.

Reactions: Jon01

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Kyle explains it really well quite a few times if you want to watch his build series shows on YouTube. Plus he's local so the techniques he uses are perfect for our area of the country.

View attachment 116933

So it's just huge 8' wide batts of insulation in a 6" deep cavity. Great insulation properties.
That's the best part of a pole shed. It's basically all insulation.

Reactions: FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I know DEEZUZ DEEZUZ wants heated floors throughout. My quote to heat the 950 sq ft slab in my garage was $15k. My GC friend's quote to heat a garage and driveway came back at $35k (so about the same cost per ft as my quote).

So just heating your floors will cost over $60k for even a small barndo.

View attachment 116934
It's definitely not cheap. I mean look at the utility closet in the build I just posted...
1649789013858.png

But I bet it feels toasty warm in the middle of January with that floor at 68 degrees walking around in socks no problem.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It's definitely not cheap. I mean look at the utility closet in the build I just posted...
View attachment 116936

But I bet it feels toasty warm in the middle of January with that floor at 68 degrees walking around in socks no problem.

View attachment 116936

I'm just saying relative to the price that people seem to think a barndo should cost, something like heated floors is an astronomical expense that you'll prob have to cover with cash (NFW it adds 60k+ to the value).

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Cost isn't cheap by any means, but it's quite a bit cheaper than a house per sq ft. An insulated shop is around $40-$50 a sq ft. Adding rooms and finishes inside would probably kick that area up to $70-$100. I just did something similar for a customer. A 48x80 building with about half of it finished is someplace between $200-$225k total. But price depends so much on the details.
How could you possibly get in to the $100/ft range though? You cannot build even the cheapest house for $100/ft right now, hell I'm pretty sure prefabs are more than that. Going from basically an open steel shell to a finished house for an incremental $50/ft, I don't see it

Barndo compared to a regular house:

Steel roof costs more than conventional
Steel siding is more than vinyl
Steel structure (assuming you go with steel) costs more than wood
Your garage/shop will certainly be bigger than a conventional one
And you still need all the interior finishes of a house in the living area, really no money to be saved there

Where's all the savings come from? The only inherent thing I can think of that would be cheaper is that it'll be on a slab instead of having a basement.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
How could you possibly get in to the $100/ft range though? You cannot build even the cheapest house for $100/ft right now, hell I'm pretty sure prefabs are more than that. Going from basically an open steel shell to a finished house for an incremental $50/ft, I don't see it

Barndo compared to a regular house:

Steel roof costs more than conventional
Steel siding is more than vinyl
Steel structure (assuming you go with steel) costs more than wood
Your garage/shop will certainly be bigger than a conventional one
And you still need all the interior finishes of a house in the living area, really no money to be saved there

Where's all the savings come from? The only inherent thing I can think of that would be cheaper is that it'll be on a slab instead of having a basement.

You save lots of the materials that you don't see. For instance, on your house, under the shingles and under the siding, you have osb or some other sheeting. On a pole shed, you don't need that.

Labor will be less as well, since you're putting on a 3' piece of steel that spans the whole height or roof distance, versus a 6" wide by 12' piece of siding or a 6" by 3' shingle.

Steel vs wood frame is very close....but that also depends a lot on size. The bigger the building, steel will become cheaper than wood.

Kizzlebizz

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
I've looked at costs the beginning of this year or a barndo shell that I finish myself, and a traditional home. We don't have to have snow weight engineered, but we have to have hurricane rating up to 167mph, that wrecks the cost.

I can post my spreadsheet of cost differences but once you look at local homebuilders who build on your lot vs a barndo you gotta finish yourself, and do all the sub contracting, the price difference doesn't equal the cost of your own labor. The best price I came up with for a 32x48 barn that I built was $118k, and the one that I was (still maybe) going to build is around the $128k. There's local builders that will put up a stick house with appliances and upgrades for $142-148k; somewhere around the $110 a sq/ft mark. For the headache, I'll pay someone 15k to do ALL the work.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
They’re cool but I think they’re a bit of a novelty as a primary residence.

100% rather have a stick built house and a separate shop/man cave living space
Totally agree with this sentiment.

I've thought about one extensively as if we build at the farm it'll be our forever home. Geo, in floor, etc...a Barndo would be nice due to less maintenance as we grow older.
I just can't get past the way that no matter how many dormers you slap on them they look like a machine shed.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The latest: Sis & her husband had a floor plan created to basically build a finished "addition" to their barn (call it phase 2, with the barn itself being phase 1), and phase 3 would be to eventually finish much of the inside of the barn to complete the house. The plans were great, sis loved them, aaaand the bank told them to get bent.

They can get a loan to finish some of the inside of the existing barn, so that's what they're going to try and do. She loved the floor plan so this complicates things a bit since they're basically going backwards (the master bed/bath is part of the attachment, not barn build-out). They're trying to figure it out now.

Moral of the story: If you want a barndominium, you better plan for everything up front with input from the bank, and you better be cash rich because you're not going to be able to finance 80% of the build cost like you can with a regular house.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I don't think there will ever be an issue.

Especially with my 10 acres tied to it.
My sis has 20 acres in Montana that's worth probably double what she paid, and still can't get the bank to finance it. Can just about guarantee you financing a barndo will be an issue

Obviously she's not in anything that remotely resembles a subdivision but she is in a valley where everyone has about 20 acres of land and a house on it, so it's not like she's out in the middle of nowhere with no roads. Bank DGAF

Reactions: Jon01

Thread Info