šŸˆ NFL Official Chicago Bears Draft Discussion

What should the Bears do with the #1 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Y'all do understand how free agency works, right? You keep talking about "letting Montgomery go to a division rival", they probably found out at the same time we did that he signed with the Lions.

As a team you don't get to pick and choose, or even be informed till they sign, where an unrestricted FA goes.

Now if he was restricted and the Bears chose not to match the Lions offer, then y'all can be critical and saying "letting him go to a division rival"
I don't believe he's "blaming" the Bears for Monty ending up with the Lions.

Just saying it sucks they let him go to begin with and stings worse that he went to an up and coming division rival.

You also have to understand certain folks around here were beating their chests that the Bears had the most free agent money of ANYONE in the NFL.

They also have the most holes of ANYONE in the NFL....to not overpay for some of the premium talent you needed while other teams did is a tad deflating.

*** JUST MY OPINIONS NOT FACT ***

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
They also have the most holes of ANYONE in the NFL....to not overpay for some of the premium talent you needed while other teams did is a tad deflating.
In a year or 2 if the team is performing at or near playoff level and they aren't willing to over pay a bit for premium talent, I'll be right with y'all. Right now they won't be near playoff contention, so there's no point to over paying for players. That'll just create a cost trickle down effect that will end up hurting the overall quality of the roster down the road

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
I think anti fan probably suits your preferred state of being anyways, so good move ?
I was fed up with the team and how it was run....so I said fuck it and moved on.

I get where your hearts are, but sometimes that clouds facts.....being that I don't have a heart (ask my ex-wife) I tend to view things different.

Anti - Fan is the farthest thing from the truth when it comes to the White Sox....right Shawn1112 Shawn1112

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
In a year or 2 if the team is performing at or near playoff level and they aren't willing to over pay a bit for premium talent, I'll be right with y'all. Right now they won't be near playoff contention, so there's no point to over paying for players. That'll just create a cost trickle down effect that will end up hurting the overall quality of the roster down the road
Yes and no.

NFL isn't like MLB where it literally takes YEARS to flesh out a rebuild.

NFL teams can and do turn it around in a single off season.....can't space out a multi year rebuild in a sport where the average career lasts 3.3 years.

Shit changes too quickly and injuries are when not if.

Where they could have spent big was on both sides of the line as those spots were not only dire needs but tend to offer greater longevity and aid other areas of the offense and defense.

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
Failing to sign a tackle in a very strong free agent tackle class this year
Agreed on this point. With Poles as a former o-lineman and knowing they need help on the line, I'm gonna wait till the season starts to be super critical on this point. Hopefully they have a draft prospect they really really like at right tackle

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Right, I get how UFA works, just saying that it stinks/stings more when he goes to a division foe. Especially when that division foe actually has a lot going for them and will be a strong contender for the division next year potentially as well as the near future. If Detroit were still cellar dwellers like they have been and this happened, I'd probably laugh. But I really do see Detroit having a good season and potentially looking down at the Bears.

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Agreed on this point. With Poles as a former o-lineman and knowing they need help on the line, I'm gonna wait till the season starts to be super critical on this point. Hopefully they have a draft prospect they really really like at right tackle
As mentioned yes they can and probably will draft a tackle. But you could have bought a proven tackle that comes in on day 1 and is NFL proven.
Then you can use the #9 on something else, thats my whole issue with the situation. They have 1 pick in the top 50, so he needs to hit a HR on those 2-2nd round picks imo.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
As mentioned yes they can and probably will draft a tackle. But you could have bought a proven tackle that comes in on day 1 and is NFL proven.
Then you can use the #9 on something else, thats my whole issue with the situation. They have 1 pick in the top 50, so he needs to hit a HR on those 2-2nd round picks imo.
Bingo

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
The guy I have my eye on for the Bears now is... Austin Ekeler. Trade something like a 2nd and 4th to get one of the premier RBs in the league? Ekeler's a pass catching back and would be a good complement for Herbert. Save wear and tear on Ekeler and let him do what he does best.
I think Ekeler is a top talent without a doubt, but better suited to a team that is more in contention, or better yet right at the brink of making a run at a Superbowl. For instance, SF was in the right spot for a move like this last year.

I'm not generally a fan of spending big money or draft capital on an rb unless you're in the right spot and it makes sense. It doesn't make sense for the Bears right now.

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
Yes and no.

NFL isn't like MLB where it literally takes YEARS to flesh out a rebuild.

NFL teams can and do turn it around in a single off season.....can't space out a multi year rebuild in a sport where the average career lasts 3.3 years.

Shit changes too quickly and injuries are when not if.

Where they could have spent big was on both sides of the line as those spots were not only dire needs but tend to offer greater longevity and aid other areas of the offense and defense.
I think your definitely right, you can in some instances pull off a 1 year rebuild. The Rams did it, but they leveraged to future of that team for the now, and I guarantee once it catches up with them they'll be shit for years.

I'd prefer they don't go that route and follow a rebuild route that retains long-term success of the team, while taking more time. Less a shoot the moon plan and more a Packers mentality where you retain draft capital, and make some limited fiscally responsible off-season moves on free agents to sure up some position groups. You can't do that though if you start blowing your wad on every free agent that'll improve your team.

The only difference between me being ecstatic with their free agency and happy with it right now is not grabbing 1 of the 2 right tackles that were available. And I'll hold off the criticism on that 1 point till I see what the final line makeup is when the season starts.

Huggerorange73

#notmywhitesox
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
I think your definitely right, you can in some instances pull off a 1 year rebuild. The Rams did it, but they leveraged to future of that team for the now, and I guarantee once it catches up with them they'll be shit for years.

I'd prefer they don't go that route and follow a rebuild route that retains long-term success of the team, while taking more time. Less a shoot the moon plan and more a Packers mentality where you retain draft capital, and make some limited fiscally responsible off-season moves on free agents to sure up some position groups. You can't do that though if you start blowing your wad on every free agent that'll improve your team.

The only difference between me being ecstatic with their free agency and happy with it right now is not grabbing 1 of the 2 right tackles that were available. And I'll hold off the criticism on that 1 point till I see what the final line makeup is when the season starts.
We can agree....bet you'd find if we sat down and talked about this shit in person...we probably agree on more than we disagree on.

Reactions: Maro

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
greece looks GIF

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
As much as I wanted Brown JR for LOT, I am going to give Poles the benefit of the doubt because he came from the Chiefs org and knows him first hand. My next pipe dream is for Poles to trade the 9th pick for Texans OT, Laremy Tunsel. Last year of his contract and he wants to negotiate a new deal to be highest paid OT. Bears got cash to spendā€¦..
Show Me The Money GIF

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
As much as I wanted Brown JR for LOT, I am going to give Poles the benefit of the doubt because he came from the Chiefs org and knows him first hand. My next pipe dream is for Poles to trade the 9th pick for Texans OT, Laremy Tunsel. Last year of his contract and he wants to negotiate a new deal to be highest paid OT. Bears got cash to spendā€¦..
Show Me The Money GIF

Tired Good Night GIF by HBO Max

• Haha
Reactions: Huggerorange73

Thread Info