Official, Brand Spanking New, 2020 Chicago Bears Thread - Gotta be better than 2019? (It's NOT)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I did some research on the draft picks and I don't have a problem with any of the guys. They all have potential (maybe not the 7th rounders).

My main problem with the Bears draft is they did not address the O line until late and did not address Safety at all. Maybe we can get players in free agency? If not, the Bears are staking a lot on their line being much better than last year with only the addition of Ifedi. We'll find out if the coaching changes make the line better.

Kmet was a reach at 43. Johnson was a steal at 50. Balances out.

Trevis Gipson is good at knocking the ball loose. Decent back up/future starter at OLB.

Kindle Vindor is another back up who might develop into a starter.

Mooney is a speed guy. It's a need. Maybe he can develop his route running and become an asset. All three of these guys are OK for 5th round picks. 5th round is Pace's round so maybe we get 2 out of 3 successes?

The 7th round picks are just a crap shoot. Might as well make them O line players because of the need. If one of them makes the team, it's a win.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I think Iā€™ve made my distaste for the Kmet pick known. Definitely a reach and honestly the ONE draftable position I was not OK with them drafting. WAY too many assets and money tied up there already. I get Nagyā€™s system likes to use tight ends and use them as matchup nightmares, but neither Kmet or Graham give you that. Graham 5 years ago? Yes. Now? Not in the least. I think the media does overhype ND players, because of the national spotlight they receive. Obviously not always, but I donā€™t think many scouts were that high on Kmet. He was not even the consensus top tight end, in a weak class. From my understanding, scouts said there were no elite TEā€™s in this class.

You know where we could have gotten great value? Offensive line. You know what the Bears biggest need was? Offensive line. I do like how they addressed corner with their second pick, and got decent value. Probably there only ā€œgoodā€ pick of the draft. The rest of the picks I did not like because they almost all had to trade up to obtain...which means giving up additional draft resources...that guy you moved up to pick better be worth it, because thereā€™s another guy sitting on another team that you could have had...Pace likes moving up in the draft, which isnā€™t a problem if you are in a position to afford it. The problem with Pace is, he canā€™t afford to move up, heā€™s take assets from next year to move up. Trading away picks on free agents. And not sending guys out for picks. Pace is not a smart GM. We were hoping that he wouldā€™ve learned something from Payton in his time in New Orleans, but apparently not. Shouldā€™ve gone with Ballard, who had a very nice draft with Indy. But water under the bridge. I think this was our final Pace draft. New GM and coach are going to have a hell of a time working through the cap mess that Pace got us into, and the severe lack of depth at basically every position because all their money is tied up with 4 or so guys. But weā€™re locked into Mack and Quinn for another couple years. I think Graham there might be a 2nd year option out. Stuck with Foles for at least 2 years (I think 3 though). Donā€™t get me wrong, Mack is great and completely makes the defense, but his contract hobbles the team from making critical signings at other positions. The reason they couldnā€™t sign a decent offensive lineman this offseason is because they blew their whole load on Foles, Quinn, and Graham. Ifedi is a bust, and unless the new O-line coach is some sort of miracle worker, the line is going to be trash again because we two of the worst starting tackles in the league.

apologies for the rambling post. Iā€™m just absolutely done with Pace. His obvious incompetence is frustrating, and has set the team back at least 5 years...and has wasted a generational talent in the process.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Grandpa Ginn? What is he, like 35? Does he have another year in him?

Bears also signed WR Trevor Davis. Looks like they are doing a poor man's version of a speed WR group.
My though as well about Ginn. Couldnt do shit last couple years with Brees throwing to him.
Dalton released, Bears probably could have made same trade for him vs Foles. I'd prefer Dalton over Foles

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
My though as well about Ginn. Couldnt do shit last couple years with Brees throwing to him.
Dalton released, Bears probably could have made same trade for him vs Foles. I'd prefer Dalton over Foles

Grandpa Ginn is actually 35 :roflpicard:

If the Bears were patient, and waited everything out, they wouldn't have had to surrender a 4th round pick and be saddled with the lion's share of Fole's contract. They could've signed Dalton for FAR less, and had options to sign at least a quality o linemen, if not two. But that's the way of Pace...I'm mostly hoping they absolutely shit the bed this year...Nagy and Pace pack their bags...and the Bears hire DeFillipo as their new HC (since he's already on the team, and did go work with Foles, who we're stuck with for a few years, while the new GM drafts a QB in 2021)

Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Gipson has good numbers at Strong Safety. Above average. I disagree with the PFF ranking. They cover a lot of stats, some important some maybe not. Gipson hurt his back last year and eventually went on IR. Probably affected his PFF stats. He's a former Pro Bowler and usually a solid SS. Not a star but better than Bush and a lot more experienced.

Looking at the Bear defense now, I don't see weaknesses at any point. D line. OLBs. ILBs. Safeties. CBs. Several upgrades. If there is any weakness, it's ILB depth. An average offense could put us in the playoffs.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Cornerback took a huge decline when they cut Amukamura...hopefully the rookie can step in and start, because thereā€™s really not much behind him on the depth chart.

Time will tell with Gipson, but the Bears donā€™t have too much depth behind him, and I think Gipson is a huge downgrade from HaHa.

Took a huge downgrade at ILB by signing Trevathan instead of Kwit. Trevathan is still good, but heā€™s very injury prone now. You also let Pierre Lewis go too, who wouldā€™ve been a fantastic reserve if either Trevathan or Smith goes down or has more ā€œpersonal issuesā€

Iā€™m still down on the Quinn signing, 1. Because heā€™s a proven failure in a 3-4 2. Heā€™s getting up there in age...yeah youā€™ve said the Bears arenā€™t always in base coverage, but what I will say is that Quinn has said he hates playing OLB because he hates to play coverage (and he sucks at it) and only wants to play with his hands down. Which really limits his usability...seems like heā€™s only on the Bears for the $$$

IMO the only position that didnā€™t take a huge hit this offseason is the defensive line.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
There's the glass half full or half empty. Until I see otherwise, it's half full for me.

Johnson is a GOOD CB. He's a rookie but he should do at least as well as Amukamara this year. There are reasons Amukamara is still a free agent.

Gipson is MUCH better than Ha Ha at strong safety. Gipson has played both positions depending on team need. Ha Ha can't do that. Gipson is better at strong safety and Eddie gets to go back to free safety where he is best.

Trevathan, when healthy, is better than Kwit. A lot quicker/faster. I agree on the lack of depth.

Quinn, from the videos I have seen has one goal. Get to the ball. He plays to the whistle. He has several moves. Floyd did not.

DL has everyone healthy again and should be the anchor on the defense.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
There's the glass half full or half empty. Until I see otherwise, it's half full for me.

Johnson is a GOOD CB. He's a rookie but he should do at least as well as Amukamara this year. There are reasons Amukamara is still a free agent.

Gipson is MUCH better than Ha Ha at strong safety. Gipson has played both positions depending on team need. Ha Ha can't do that. Gipson is better at strong safety and Eddie gets to go back to free safety where he is best.

Trevathan, when healthy, is better than Kwit. A lot quicker/faster. I agree on the lack of depth.

Quinn, from the videos I have seen has one goal. Get to the ball. He plays to the whistle. He has several moves. Floyd did not.

DL has everyone healthy again and should be the anchor on the defense.
Your glass is always half full, lol

Johnson will be better than Prince in his rookie year, pending he stays healthy. So I'm saying they improved

No way Gipson is better tha Ha Ha, I would have preferred Ha Ha come back. What he get from Dallas, 3 or 4 million. Bears should have signed him at 2yrs 7-8 million.

Agreed Trev better than Kwit, but as Kensington said, he is injury prone and agreed again on lack of depth

Said it before and will say it again. Quinn sucks and they overpaid for him.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
In a move that should surprise no one

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info