• 💡Did you know you could subscribe to threads with email alerts without being a member? Simply hit the button at the bottom of a thread you find interesting, and you're good to go. No longer wish to receive emails? Go back to the thread and remove yourself (note: you may have to use the same device as previous).

⚾ MLB Official Baseball Thread

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I always thought the manager and GM worked together to determine who to call up from AAA and who to demote. When none of your relief options are all that great for any given game, there are certainly going to be issues with the decisions a manager has to make on who to use, when, and for how long. Even the pitchers that are struggling have to get some innings to try to work through their funk and find their rhythm again. Ideally those are low leverage moments where the game isn't on the line, of course... I don't think there's an easy magic answer that's close at hand right now to solve the bullpen issues.

Reactions: Shawn1112

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Threw a few bucks down on Washington because they were playing the White Sox, because why not....

Screenshot_20240514_192638_ESPN BET.jpg

Reactions: Shawn1112

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
The press all labeled Steele the staff "Ace" at the beginning of the season, so maybe you could ask them too? :p;)

Steele certainly has not performed like an "Ace" since coming back in just his 3rd start from his injury, though. He has been eclipsed by other starters like Imanaga, Tailon, and Assad. It remains to be seen if Steele returns to the form he had last season. I wouldn't write him off as a bust for the season with only 19 innings pitched so far, though. But for now, you are correct: he is not the current ace of the staff.

"When Justin Steele got hurt on opening day, the big question for the Chicago Cubs centered on the state of their rotation without their ace left-hander."

"Cubs ace Justin Steele is just about ready to return to Chicago's rotation after being sidelined since the season opener because of a strained left hamstring."

"Cubs ace lands on IL..."

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I can't.

But Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk provided numerous examples of it.
Well it's not like Shawn or I can control how the PRESS labels a player. What's your point?

I recall that I wrote Steele would be a possible contender for the All Star game earlier in my March expectations, while Shawn wasn't bought in on him replicating his success from last year. Shawn has thus far been more accurate about that.

But I also called that Imanaga would be solid, so I at least earn a cookie for that, right? 🤪

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
But I also called that Imanaga would be solid, so I at least earn a cookie for that, right? 🤪
Imanaga has been better than advertised so far. He didnt have great stuff vs the Braves earlier in the week and still held them scoreless. Thats the sign of a very good pitcher, considering the lineup the Braves have. He is going to tail off eventually, no way in hell he keeps a sub 2.00 era let alone a sub 1.00 era that he is currently at all year lol. Hopefully when he does tail off, he levels out to be an above average pitcher.

Huggerorange73

hilarously bad takes
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa, AZ
Well it's not like Shawn or I can control how the PRESS labels a player. What's your point?

I recall that I wrote Steele would be a possible contender for the All Star game earlier in my March expectations, while Shawn wasn't bought in on him replicating his success from last year. Shawn has thus far been more accurate about that.

Don't assume my comments are reflective of what just the two of you say.

You provided numerous media references of his ace status that many of the low brow Cub fan sheep pound their chests about.

He was the opening day starter and the clear cut #1 rolling into the season.

There's no shame in him getting knocked around by a very good Pirates team!

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Don't assume my comments are reflective of what just the two of you say.

You provided numerous media references of his ace status that many of the low brow Cub fan sheep pound their chests about.

He was the opening day starter and the clear cut #1 rolling into the season.

There's no shame in him getting knocked around by a very good Pirates team!
Then who are these "low brow Cub fan sheep" on TCG that you are addressing? And if they aren't here, wouldn't you expect the Cub fans like me and Shawn here to respond to your questions and comments about the Cubs?

More initial context on your part for clarity wouldve been better. I'm used to you ripping on me, so now I feel left out. 🤪 Agreed that meatheads on sports radio and social media can be dingbats, but we can't be expected to defend their sometimes ridiculous opinions.

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Thread Info