Lord Tin Foilhat Lord Tin Foilhat

Its exciting ?

Screenshot_20230310_151814_Software Update.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Have a 6, I'm overall happy with the battery life on it but there's just some subtle shit about the base ROM that annoys me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's lots better since I got rid of the gestures they wanted you to use instead of the 3 buttons. That was some weird arcane shit that just didn't work well.

How hard is the install?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Have a 6, I'm overall happy with the battery life on it but there's just some subtle shit about the base ROM that annoys me. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's lots better since I got rid of the gestures they wanted you to use instead of the 3 buttons. That was some weird arcane shit that just didn't work well.

How hard is the install?
stupid easy and through a browser. walks you through it.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Just tried my hand at replacing the battery in my S10e with an Ifixit kit. I've had this phone since it came out in what.....2018? 2019? And at this point I don't think I have any intention of replacing it unless something happens to it or until they stop updating it. They just don't make flagship type phones in this size anymore and I really don't want a huge phone. This one still does everything I need it to. Makes phone calls. Sends text messages. Can browse the internet and stream music from it all day at work. Takes decent pictures of all the alcohol I drink and all the stupid shit I waste my money on, and my cars parked in my driveway because I don't go anywhere. What more do I need??

The whole process actually went pretty smooth. Was a little tricky to actually break open at first, but some heat applied by my heat gun, and my fingernail got it to where I could stick the little plastic sprudger tool in there to start separating all the adhesive. And then I spent a lotta time just trying to clean all the adhesive off of the phone and back plate. I purchased a new backplate from ifixit as well just in CASE i fucked up and cracked this one getting it off, since it is glass, but that didn't happen. And thats probably good because I didn't realize you need to transfer the camera bezel from your stock backplate onto the new one, which requires a new adhesive kit, that of course they sell separately!!!! But whatevs. I've got a spare at least. When I put the new adhesive on and got it all back together, it didnt quite COMPLETELY seal along the right side, which is where the adhesive is the thinnest, but its not that noticeable, and my phone is in a case anyways so it's not gonna make a difference. I just maybe shouldn't drop this phone in water any time soon now.

If this new battery works out I figure this'll last me until Samsung abandons this phone and then I'll be forced to upgrade. Maybe the S30 will be out by then :ROFLMAO:

Tried taking pics of the process w/ my chromebook as I was going along, but it turns out the camera in that thing is atrocious and couldn't focus for shit. Apologies.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Better camera, better screen, faster... However, I'm still rocking my 6pro and this is the probably the longest I've owned a phone.

i'll give you the camera, but again, I've already pointed out I don't take pics of anything interesting. I've got an OLED screen that still looks great, phone is still quite responsive. I'm good with it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I gotta give Samsung credit tho. I have a..... S6? 4? Something in the garage that is running a custom rom from whenever ago and the screen is literally peeling off the body and the battery is a bit buldgey... But it still turns on and connects to wifi and plays Spotify via the aux port ?

Reactions: IDAFC21

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I gotta give Samsung credit tho. I have a..... S6? 4? Something in the garage that is running a custom rom from whenever ago and the screen is literally peeling off the body and the battery is a bit buldgey... But it still turns on and connects to wifi and plays Spotify via the aux port ?
I still have a google Nexus that works

Thread Info