Android Official Android Thread

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
This afternoon my Pixel 3 XL bricked itself. I had it charging and it was working fine. When I unplugged it, the screen went black and that was it. While plugged in, the battery indicator will flash, but it won't power on or do anything else.

To remedy the problem, I impulse bought a OnePlus 8. So far the thing is useless. I can't get into my google account because it won't receive a text message for 2 factor authentication. Any ideas on why a phone won't receive a text? It has verizon messages as the default SMS app. I would download something else, but I can't even log into the Google Play Store until after I can receive a text.

As much as I love android, I just might return this junk and get an iPhone tomorrow. I really wanted to hold out for the Pixel 6, but it's not out yet and there isn't much to choose from for Android phones right now.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
This afternoon my Pixel 3 XL bricked itself. I had it charging and it was working fine. When I unplugged it, the screen went black and that was it. While plugged in, the battery indicator will flash, but it won't power on or do anything else.

To remedy the problem, I impulse bought a OnePlus 8. So far the thing is useless. I can't get into my google account because it won't receive a text message for 2 factor authentication. Any ideas on why a phone won't receive a text? It has verizon messages as the default SMS app. I would download something else, but I can't even log into the Google Play Store until after I can receive a text.

As much as I love android, I just might return this junk and get an iPhone tomorrow. I really wanted to hold out for the Pixel 6, but it's not out yet and there isn't much to choose from for Android phones right now.
Fyi...I have a 3xl and I had a similar issue last year. It kept rebooting or sticking on the back screen. I let the phone fully discharge and then
let it fully charge. Its been fine ever since. Not sure what happened but it might be worth a try.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Google Verizon access point names and manually add it to mobile networks in the android network settings.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Google Verizon access point names and manually add it to mobile networks in the android network settings.

I just got it working. I went back to the Verizon store and they put a new sim card in it. We were having account issues last night so they put my old sim card in the new phone. I guess the 4g sim card didn't work on the new 5g device. I'm still in the android crew and didn't rage buy an iPhone :LOL:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I just got it working. I went back to the Verizon store and they put a new sim card in it. We were having account issues last night so they put my old sim card in the new phone. I guess the 4g sim card didn't work on the new 5g device. I'm still in the android crew and didn't rage buy an iPhone :LOL:
we had a similar issue. They gave us a tablet sim for a phone....

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
My father-in-law has had weird Verizon connectivity issues with cell service on his current sub-Galaxy model (A51) - couldn’t connect to any cell service. They told him to restart in airplane mode to get service back when he loses service, which he has to do every day. Verizon said it was temporary but sounds like a pain in the ass.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
My father-in-law has had weird Verizon connectivity issues with cell service on his current sub-Galaxy model (A51) - couldn’t connect to any cell service. They told him to restart in airplane mode to get service back when he loses service, which he has to do every day. Verizon said it was temporary but sounds like a pain in the ass.
have him try to go into mobile networks and turn off 5g or select just 4g/3g as the data option. If that is their solution, he is basically just forcing a cell service search. Sometimes removing 5g makes the phone switch bands less often resulting in more stable service at the cost of the fastest speeds possible.

Reactions: Bru

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

I just dumped verizon cause they were absolutely horrible with service and customer service.

Had to do the airplane mode several times and nothing improved.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Every time I see this thread bump I get excited

Screenshot_20210706-153211_Software update.jpg

Then let Down

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I will say that is something I do miss from my old Android phones when I switched to an iPhone... the little LED notification light that would blink if you had a missed call, text, voicemail, etc (all had their own color).

You could just look over and know if you had a notification without having to pick up the phone and look at it.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I will say that is something I do miss from my old Android phones when I switched to an iPhone... the little LED notification light that would blink if you had a missed call, text, voicemail, etc (all had their own color).

You could just look over and know if you had a notification without having to pick up the phone and look at it.
You can do the cam flash blink on android now for notifications. I miss the programmable multi color led notification light.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
have him try to go into mobile networks and turn off 5g or select just 4g/3g as the data option. If that is their solution, he is basically just forcing a cell service search. Sometimes removing 5g makes the phone switch bands less often resulting in more stable service at the cost of the fastest speeds possible.
I just dumped verizon cause they were absolutely horrible with service and customer service.

Had to do the airplane mode several times and nothing improved.

This isn’t meant to be “shots fired” because iPhones have their own issues, but the whole family was together and literally everyone in the house had an iPhone with Verizon 5G and zero issues but Verizon was saying it’s both platforms with the connectivity problems.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
the screen doesnt even light up when I get a notification....need a 3rd party app just to get it to work properly

I know my Note 10+ has 'Always On Display' that shows texts and other notification icons. I can change a person's icon in texts. So I can even see who sent me a text on AOD. I miss the blinking LED but the AOD is good in it's own right.

And battery life isn't eaten by AOD either. Currently, I am down to 18% battery life and AOD used 3.2% of my battery.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
This isn’t meant to be “shots fired” because iPhones have their own issues, but the whole family was together and literally everyone in the house had an iPhone with Verizon 5G and zero issues but Verizon was saying it’s both platforms with the connectivity problems.
There must be some extra funkiness with 5g. My fiance's S21 Ultra wouldn't connect to the network at all the other day. She had to go into network settings and manually select. Just had the phone for months and just randomly had the issue

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just downloaded a modded version of the Google camera app onto the OnePlus 8. I'll have to snap some pics and see how it compares to the stock camera app.

I gave my daily driver a quick wash and then took one pic with the Google camera app and one with the stock Oneplus 8 camera app.

This is the stock camera. It looks a little washed out. Maybe too much noise reduction?

IMG_20210706_193321.jpg

This is from the Google camera app. It looks sharper and more natural to me.

IMG_20210707_003310653.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I gave my daily driver a quick wash and then took one pic with the Google camera app and one with the stock Oneplus 8 camera app.

This is the stock camera. It looks a little washed out. Maybe too much noise reduction?

View attachment 93889

This is from the Google camera app. It looks sharper and more natural to me.

View attachment 93890
Googles camera app also jacks the saturation up in some cases. Personally I am not the biggest fan of google camera. Too much auto post processing.

Thread Info