šŸˆ NFL Official 2021 Chicago Bears Thread - Once again a Bust

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
All that revenue stream exceeds their costs (even with those big contracts)? :D The $4B we talk about isn't just the revenue. It's also inclusive of assets, like Halas Hall and any other properties they own, Goodwill on the team and it's name, stuff like that.

We know they don't "pay" for their own stadium since Soldier Field is owned by the City of Chicago. So "rent" costs and other CAM like charges the city assesses) are probably minimal by comparison to other teams that own their own stadiums and are probably paying back their loans and TIF sourced funds to build them. I'm sure Halas Hall is either pretty well paid off, if not, those costs are amortized out forever.

To me their biggest costs would be;
- Salaries for all the behind the scenes people
- Contract salaries for players
- Travel related expenses for away games (I don't recall if they have their own fleet of planes to shuffle team members or if the time share it). Then expenses for the semi's of equipment that move about the country.
- Legal and other professional fees
- Property taxes on Halas Hall.

If they go through with Arlington, I would expect that they would be more burdened with the property/building side of things at first, but once done, that would become an asset and add to the $4B.

But I've never examined their financials, so...

Reactions: Shawn1112

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And, we keep saying this, if you want to send a message to the team, hurt that revenue stream...

- Stop buying Bears gear (Jersey's, license plate frames, coffee mugs, throw blankets, etc...)

- If you're a current season ticket holder (keeping the Arlington possibility out of this conversation), cancel your season tickets. This hurts them on the tickets costs, but more importantly the seat license agreements that come with it. That's where they make their money on season tickets holders. If you're on the waiting list and your name gets called, tell them to fuck off.

- Stop watching them on TV. The national embarrassments keep coming because the team is in the 3rd largest market, has a legion of fans like few other teams (and like all Chicago teams, those fans travel well to support their team... This is something other team franchises wish they had). Anyway, when Fox, CBS and NBC start seeing that viewership goes down when they show a Bears game, guess what? They will stop putting them in prime time. If they aren't in prime time, they aren't paying the Bears organization for the rights to show the Bears... George and Ted would see that pretty quickly.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Here is the STH prices. These are just the actual ticket pricing for 10 home games this past season. Using the section 108 pricing, that's $2,044 per seat. Most people want two seats, so that would be $4,088. Keep adding to that if you get 3, 4 or more... Now add in the licensing agreements per seat (which they don't post here). These can get pretty pricey.

Going up in the nose bleed 400's, the cheapest is $847 per seat for 10 home games, again, multiply that out by the number of seats you want, then factor in the seat licensing agreements.

So a bunch of season ticket holders, cancelling, can send big messages...

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Here is the STH prices. These are just the actual ticket pricing for 10 home games this past season. Using the section 108 pricing, that's $2,044 per seat. Most people want two seats, so that would be $4,088. Keep adding to that if you get 3, 4 or more... Now add in the licensing agreements per seat (which they don't post here). These can get pretty pricey.

Going up in the nose bleed 400's, the cheapest is $847 per seat for 10 home games, again, multiply that out by the number of seats you want, then factor in the seat licensing agreements.

So a bunch of season ticket holders, cancelling, can send big messages...

Pretty sure there are no PSL's in the nose bleeds. I had season tix thru a friend years ago in section 445 and there was no PSL.
Pretty sure I asked Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang earlier this year as he has season tix up there and he confirmed no PSL.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Pretty sure there are no PSL's in the nose bleeds. I had season tix thru a friend years ago in section 445 and there was no PSL.
Pretty sure I asked Chet Donnelly Ryan02Stang earlier this year as he has season tix up there and he confirmed no PSL.
Correct....the 400 section has no PSL's. My tix this past season were the cheapest ones....I paid ~$1,700 for two seats for the whole season. I sold half the games, and don't remember how much I sold each game, but I recovered ~$1,300 selling those games. I went to the Bengals, Ravens, Cardinals, and Vikings games....

Talked to a few random guys at the game, and they said they moved up over 10 rows after their first year, so hopefully I get a nice jump in seats for next year.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
And, we keep saying this, if you want to send a message to the team, hurt that revenue stream...

- Stop buying Bears gear (Jersey's, license plate frames, coffee mugs, throw blankets, etc...)

- If you're a current season ticket holder (keeping the Arlington possibility out of this conversation), cancel your season tickets. This hurts them on the tickets costs, but more importantly the seat license agreements that come with it. That's where they make their money on season tickets holders. If you're on the waiting list and your name gets called, tell them to fuck off.

- Stop watching them on TV. The national embarrassments keep coming because the team is in the 3rd largest market, has a legion of fans like few other teams (and like all Chicago teams, those fans travel well to support their team... This is something other team franchises wish they had). Anyway, when Fox, CBS and NBC start seeing that viewership goes down when they show a Bears game, guess what? They will stop putting them in prime time. If they aren't in prime time, they aren't paying the Bears organization for the rights to show the Bears... George and Ted would see that pretty quickly.
If it weren't for Arlington Heights, I wouldn't renew my season tix. I live less than 10 minutes though from Arlington Park, so those season tix will be great for me.

If the Bears end up announcing Arlington Heights won't happen....110% done with them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
If it weren't for Arlington Heights, I wouldn't renew my season tix. I live less than 10 minutes though from Arlington Park, so those season tix will be great for me.

If the Bears end up announcing Arlington Heights won't happen....110% done with them.
We have friends in Palatine with season tix and also the only reason they are holding them.
They are lower corner of the north end zone where the Bears come out of the tunnel and they pay a PSL on theirs. I never asked but can only assume $10k per ticket just for the PSL.

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
How does the HC not show for a development meeting with his new QB? Yet another reason for the Bears to have dumped Nagy. I still think Trubisky doesn't process info fast enough but he did a lot better once he got to Buffalo and they gave him plays that didn't require as much processing. Why couldn't Nagy do that?

Reactions: blue-sun

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Dont paint Mitch in a good light!! He SuCkS!!!!!!!!!

In other news, I will laugh my ass off and not be shocked if Nagy has something to do with the Dolphins next year. They seem to take our sloppy seconds.

I donā€™t think heā€™s great by any stretch, was more a look at Nagy to me that he would miss something like that.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Sports Mockery, Jan 14, 2022

Back in 2015, George McCaskey was trying to clean up a gigantic mess left behind by previous GM Phil Emery. The Chicago Bears were in shambles, featuring an old and overpaid roster with loads of cancerous personalities. They needed somebody to come in and conduct repairs. The man they settled on proved to be a surprise for many. New Orleans Saints director of pro personnel Ryan Pace.

On the surface, it seemed like a calculated risk. Pace was part of a front office that had resurrected the Saints into Super Bowl champions back in 2009. They were perennial playoff contenders with a young, deep roster. There was a lingering concern though. Pace was young. Really young. By far the young GM in the NFL at that point. Some worried whether heā€™d been a personnel director long enough. Just two years. Still, McCaskey liked the vision he had for the Bears. So the hire was made.

Details were always a bit scarce about that.​

Now with Pace fired after seven seasons, more have surfaced. In a terrific in-depth piece by Adam Jahns and Kevin Fishbain of The Athletic, they revealed new tidbits on what exactly happened. First, there was Chris Ballard. Most considered the former Bears scout and then-Chiefs director of player personnel the heavy favorite for the GM job that year. He seemed to be an easy choice, but then completely fell out of the running. There were two key reasons why.

BALLARD, A FORMER BEARS SCOUT, APPEARED TO BE AN EASY-DECISION HIRE. BUT SOURCES SAID BALLARD HAD TWO REQUESTS: 1. HE WANTED TO REPORT DIRECTLY TO MCCASKEY INSTEAD OF GOING THROUGH PHILLIPS, AND 2. HE WANTED TO MOVE ON FROM CUTLER. BALLARD WAS OFFERING THE FRANCHISE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A REBOOT, BUT THE BEARS DIDNā€™T WANT TO TAKE IT, CHOOSING TO GO WITH PACE INSTEAD. ONE SOURCE SUGGESTED THAT BALLARDā€™S TIES WITH ANGELO AND EMERY HURT HIS CASE, THAT THE TEAM WANTED A ā€œFRESH STARTā€ FROM THE PAST.
The great irony here is McCaskey seems to have made one of the changes Ballard requested. The general manager will report directly to ownership moving forward. One can also understand the Cutler angle. The quarterback hadnā€™t accomplished nearly enough considering what the Bears were paying him. However, the McCaskeys probably still believed in him and also didnā€™t want to eat all the money from dumping his contract.

The best part though came when it was revealed how rigged the interview process was from the start. Enough to where it was no accident Pace got the job.

ā€œTHAT THING STUNK,ā€ A FORMER EMPLOYEE SAID. ā€œITā€™S A GOOD OLā€™ BOY THING. RYAN PACE WAS A RECOMMENDATION FROM (SAINTS GM) MICKEY LOOMIS. LOOMIS AND TED ARE TIGHT. (SAINTS COACH) SEAN PAYTON WANTED PACE TO BE GM. ACCORSI AND PAYTON ARE CONNECTED. THERE WAS A REASON PACE INTERVIEWED LAST.ā€

This shows how little McCaskey had to do with Ryan Pace hiring

Sure heā€™s the owner and he signed off on it, but the picture is painted pretty clearly. It was a combination of Ted Phillips and Ernie Accorsi that made it happen. They were the ones pulling the strings. This is a big reason why so many close to the Bears organization are skeptical of the current GM search. He wants everybody to think he is the one in control but most can see right through that. This is really the Bill Polian show. The Hall of Fame executive was brought in as a consultant similar to Accorsi in 2015.

It is evident McCaskey is leaning on him heavily in this process. All one has to do is look at the list of candidates. Many of them either have ties to Polian directly or to organizations he has worked for such as Indianapolis and Buffalo. Now, this isnā€™t a bad thing. Polian knows his stuff. It is just difficult to trust that this interview process is as wide open as it seems. Ryan Pace had the inside lane from the start seven years ago.

Maybe itā€™s the same thing this time around too.​

Reports are Browns VP of player personnel Glenn Cook made a strong impression during his interview with the team. He got his start in scouting back in 2011 with the Colts. Polianā€™s last year with the organization. In these sorts of situations, there is no such thing as coincidence. There is a real chance that the Bears already know who theyā€™re going to hire. It is just about letting the facade play out. Here is hoping that isnā€™t the case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info