Official 2019-2020 Chicago Bears Thread - Keep Moving Forward

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Seems like a boom or bust guy...hopefully a strong locker room can "encourage" him to play through some of the pain. Additionally, maybe the sting of going undrafted and having to really earn a spot on the roster will light a spark.

The Bears don't really have anything invested in him, so if he decides to be a pussy, NFG, cut him. But he has the possibility to grow into a real threat.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Current Bears UDFA signings. Another interesting prospect, is Dax Raymond. Has good size and decent speed for a TE, flashed as a receiver at Utah and got an invite to the Senior Bowl where he held his own. Bears are also carrying 5 kickers into rookie minicamp this weekend.

Blake Blackmar, OL, Baylor
Sam Mustipher, OL, Notre Dame
Alex Bars, OL, Notre Dame
Dax Raymond, TE, Utah State
Lawrence Marshall, DL, Michigan
John Barron II, K, San Diego State
Joe Lowery, OL, Ohio
Clifton Duck, CB, Appalachian State
Chuck Harris, EDGE, Buffalo
Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri
Ellis Richardson, TE, Georgia Southern
Mathieu Betts, DL, Laval (Canada)
Jordan Powell, S, Widener
Spencer Schnell, WR, Illinois State

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Bears had interesting kicker tryouts. The kickers said they had never been in that kind of pressure situations except for kicking camps. Down to 2 including the AAF kicker from the Orlando Apollos. Bears will either sign a kicker or one of these guys will be the next Chicago Bear kicker.

In the final minutes of Bears rookie minicamp practice Sunday at Halas Hall, kicker Redford Jones stood in the middle of a circle of all of the offensive players on hand and watched as they did 25 down-ups.

The punishment was Jonesā€™ doing.

During a head-to-head competition in front of the full roster of rookies, Jones and tryout kicker Casey Bednarski each made field goals from 32 and 43 yards. Bednarski, representing the defensive players, then nailed a 48-yard attempt.

When Jonesā€™ follow-up attempt sailed wide left, the defense rushed Bednarski, who did a backflip to punctuate his victory. Jones was forced to dwell for a few minutes in the knowledge others were paying the price for his miss.

Welcome to the cutthroat world of the Bearsā€™ kicking competition, where by the end of the day neither Jones nor Bednarski was still in the running.

The Bears spent the weekend putting eight kickers ā€” four under contract and four as tryout players ā€” through a process they hope eventually will yield a replacement for Cody Parkey.

Over three days, Bears coaches charted hours of field-goal attempts, used electronic equipment to track ball trajectory and speed and manufactured pressure situations like Sundayā€™s camp finale. By Sunday evening, they had whittled the group to two kickers ā€” Chris Blewitt and Elliott Fry ā€” sending home without a roster spot signees Jones and John Baron II and tryout players Bednarski, Emmit Carpenter, Spencer Evans and Justin Yoon.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ears-kickers-rookie-minicamp-day-3-story.html

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
We'll probably see more kickers come through town as we get through training camps and kickers are released.

I give the Bears credit for bringing in a lot of guys for pressure tryouts. The fact that they can't find one guy to choose yet shows how tough a position kicker is to fill.

If only they hadn't cut Gould...

At the least, he should be available when his contract with the 49ers runs out after this year.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Saw a quote from Pace that said he was already in the works to move up for Montgomery, and it wasn't a panic after the Rams took Henderson and were scared the Bills would grab him (they took Singletary the next pick).

I don't like that Pace keeps trading draft capital to move up for players. It's not a sustainable process. Do your research, stick to your board, and let your players fall to you. They did the same thing last year with Miller, which I still don't think was the right move. With so few picks, you have to make the ones you have count, not trade them away on one pick. I hope Montgomery is worth it, because my expectations are going to be higher than a 3rd round pick would otherwise be, just like I feel like Miller should be performing on more than "just" a second round pick level.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Bears may get 2 or 3 guys out of their UDFA picks, too.

WR Emmanuel Hall will be a bargain find if he can get his head on straight.

TE Dax Raymond has a chance to make the team after an impressive rookie camp.

OL Alex Bars is a long term prospect who could end up replacing Kyle Long in a couple years.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I checked out the Eddy Pineiro trade and it's a really good deal for the Bears. Thanks Gruden!

Pineiro was very good in college, 56 of 58 extra points and 38 of 43 field goals. His senior year, he missed 1 of 18 kicks. He was going to be the Raider's kicker if he didn't get hurt in preseason last year.

The Bears give up a 7th rounder IF Pineiro is on the team for 5 games. He would need to have won the job and be the Bears kicker for him to stick that long.

If he doesn't win the job, the Bears cut him and it costs them nothing.

The kickers the Bears still have on the team are good prospects. Let's see who wins the battle in preseason.

EDIT: I forgot to post this video. 81 yard kick from the 31. Just imagine, Bears are on the wrong 35 and kick a field goal at the end of the half. That would be memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiiN1yVPGJk

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Bears now have a 312 Lb. TE.

Bradley Sowell who has been an offensive lineman for his whole career caught a 2 yd. TD pass last year (Santa's Sleigh). He has a new number and a new position.

Bears like his hands and will use him as a blocking TE if he earns the job.

6'7" 312 Lbs.

Bears also moved backup RB Taquan Mizzell to WR. His chances of making the roster aren't looking great with the new RBs and a crowded battle for the last WR spot(s).

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Whitehair isn't a natural center, Daniels was. I think it would probably good to get Daniels some experience before tossing him into the role. I also think it's good they made this decision early, so that Daniels and Trubisky can start to build a rapport over the offseason and offseason programs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info