Streamwood
Bears signed the former Brown's TE Demetrius Harris to one year deal

Has ties to Nagy when Harris played for KC out of college

Can he play QB?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
That's basically our stable of TE's now...They really can't do much about Burton this year except hope that he can contribute. Otherwise Shaheen busted hard, and will likely be cut. Is Braunecker worth it (he can't stay healthy either). Will Dax Raymond ever become anything? Holtz and Horsted looked mildly promising as #3 or 4 TE's, but I really don't think they're starting caliber tight ends, especially in Nagy's system which calls for a highly athletic playmaker that can create matchup issues. Burton was supposed to be that, but couldn't stay healthy.

TE is a key weakness on the offense...I could foresee Braunecker and Shaheen getting cut...both would save $1M+ each against the cap, in a tight year. Holtz is a FA and Horsted makes league minimum. So the Bears, in theory, could afford to spend a couple bucks in free agency at TE. There are a few guys out there (Hooper, Hunter Henry, Hollister, Ebron, Jarwin) but I think they'll be too expensive, especially considering the salary taken up by Burton for the position. Bears will have to shore up possibly in the draft (which I don't particularly like given all the holes the Bears have and the limited high round picks).

Bears NEED to bring in at least a couple quality lineman in free agency and/or the draft. Long leaves a big hole. Coward isn't startable. Daniels needs to make big improvements. Massie and Leno have reverted to their old selves...maybe a new O-line coach can save them.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Can he play QB?

Bears are going to make SOME sort of QB move this offseason. I am very curious as to what they'll be doing....A lot of people have linked Bridgewater, Dalton, Mariota, and Alex Smith to the Bears...I think Mariota is the most realistic of the listed...Bridgewater will command too much money (of which the Bears don't have enough money), Dalton and Alex Smith would need to be traded, and the Bears don't have the draft capital to spare. Mariota is just about at bust territory...I'm thinking there won't be a huge market for him, but, he's got a lot of starting experience, he's got the game that Nagy demands from his QB.

They've already said they're shaking up the QB room...and although he committed to Trubisky in 2020, if they bring in someone that outplays Trubisky, they'd be stupid to NOT start him. This Bears team is in win now mode, and they don't have the money or draft picks to make big changes. There's already been quite a few guys that have been identified as potential cuts for cap savings....Prince, Long saved us some money by retiring (likely would've been cut anyways), POSSIBLY Gabriel ($2M in dead money hurts, but $4.5M in cap savings), Patterson, Shaheen, O'Donnell, Braunecker. Then there's quite a bit of money to be saved with restructuring contracts. Hicks, Fuller, Goldman, and Leno can save the Bears ~$15M alone.

Pace is going to have to get creative...

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Bears are going to make SOME sort of QB move this offseason. I am very curious as to what they'll be doing....A lot of people have linked Bridgewater, Dalton, Mariota, and Alex Smith to the Bears...I think Mariota is the most realistic of the listed...Bridgewater will command too much money (of which the Bears don't have enough money), Dalton and Alex Smith would need to be traded, and the Bears don't have the draft capital to spare. Mariota is just about at bust territory...I'm thinking there won't be a huge market for him, but, he's got a lot of starting experience, he's got the game that Nagy demands from his QB.

They've already said they're shaking up the QB room...and although he committed to Trubisky in 2020, if they bring in someone that outplays Trubisky, they'd be stupid to NOT start him. This Bears team is in win now mode, and they don't have the money or draft picks to make big changes. There's already been quite a few guys that have been identified as potential cuts for cap savings....Prince, Long saved us some money by retiring (likely would've been cut anyways), POSSIBLY Gabriel ($2M in dead money hurts, but $4.5M in cap savings), Patterson, Shaheen, O'Donnell, Braunecker. Then there's quite a bit of money to be saved with restructuring contracts. Hicks, Fuller, Goldman, and Leno can save the Bears ~$15M alone.

Pace is going to have to get creative...
Agreed 100%

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Bears only have 1 QB under contract so they need to do something.

I would not be surprised to see Washington drop Alex Smith or trade him for cheap.

Alex Smith is coming off an absolutely HORRIFIC leg injury...some are speculating he may not be able to play again. I know that he's trying though.

You know who the OC was in KC when Smith had his best season as a pro? Nagy.

If we could get a fully healthy Alex Smith, it would be absolutely amazing. If the Bears can get him for a mid-low round pick, I'd be all in on it. But QB's usually command a bit more, especially higher end QB's like Smith, so I'm thinking a 3rd, or maybe a 4th if we're lucky.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, it might be a perfect storm situation in Washington. They have their shiny new star QB and (backup?) Smith is supposed to get $21 mil. this year. I'm not sure how the cap works with a trade but that might be the only way Washington can reclaim some money. Bears would need to pay Smith a bunch but he is familiar with the exact system Nagy uses since he ran it in K.C.

Any good QB is going to cost $$$$$ so I'm thinking Bears should aim for someone already proven in the Nagy system.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Although the Bears may be able to get him on, and restructure and save $10M, and maybe only be on the hook for $11M....which is still a SHIT LOAD OF MONEY for what they're billing as a backup QB at this point

Best case scenario is he's cut (highly unlikely given his contract; $32M in dead money and $11M in cap losses)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, I think it's a lesser possibility Washington cuts him although it is a possibility. Anybody know if the dead money goes away with a trade? If so, that may be the way Washington goes. 6th or 7th round pick in return and the new team picks up the salary.

This would be a 1 year prove it deal for Smith. The Bears couldn't afford to keep him and Trubisky when Trubisky gets to year 5 of his contract (if the Bears pick up his option). If both teams can make the money/trade work, it makes sense. (IF Smith is healthy)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info