Official 2019-2020 Chicago Bears Thread - Keep Moving Forward

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
League/players' contract ends after next year. I'm expecting a large raise in the salary cap or some other kind of way where players will get more money.

If Trubisky keeps improving, he'll get picked up on his fifth year option so that's 3 more years of rookie contract.

Where he was drafted almost makes it a guarantee they pick up the option.
If not they are basically saying "we took the wrong guy" which they did by the way, lol.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
59edbdf73d8a0ef078969b60a3e2d57f.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
TE, arenā€™t you a big Shaheen fan boy?
If they go RB in the 3rd wouldnā€™t mind David Montgomery if he is still there.

Good call.

Bears needed to move up but got him.

Moved up, got a 7th round pick and gave up this year's 162 (5th) and next year's 4th. Steep price. Bears picked the guy they wanted for need rather than best player available.

Reading up/watching video, it looks like Montgomery fits what the Bears want out of their RB. Quick lateral moves, good vision, finishes runs, won't get many long runs because he's not a burner. Montgomery set the Pro Football Focus record with 100 missed tackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxioth0M7I

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Chicago Bears 2019 draft (real) results.

1st Round: Khalil Mack, OLB
2nd Round: Anthony Miller, WR
3rd Round: David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State
4th Round: Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
6th Round: Duke Shelley, CB, Kansas State
7th Round: Kerrith Whyte Jr., RB, FAU
7th Round: Stephen Denmark, CB, Valdosta St

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My thoughts on the 2019 Bears draft:

1st up, Khalil Mack and Anthony Miller. They need to be figured in since getting them is directly related to losing the Bears 1 and 2 picks this year. If Mack continues his Hall of Fame play and Miller develops into a capable receiver these draft picks will be well spent.

3rd round - RB David Montgomery.

Montgomery has the whole package you want in an RB except for top end speed. His 40 times were slow. He will get caught from behind a lot. Expect many 5-10 yard gains with some breakout runs of 15-30 yards. Few long runs or long TDs.

Flyn grade: C
I give Montgomery a D for what the Bears had to give up to move up to get him and a B for his gameplay. Averages out to the C.

4th round - WR Riley Ridley.

Ridley is Calvin Ridley's brother. Calvin went in the 1st round in a previous draft. Ridley was projected as a low 2nd round pick so he was sitting way up on the Bears' board when they got to the 4th round. They too him as BPA.
Ridley runs good routes which is getting to be rare in college players. He also doesn't have exceptional speed. Could end up being a serviceable WR2 on the outside or a slot WR.

Flyn grade: A
Ridley was projected to go 2 rounds earlier. He's good value at the spot the Bears took him. Can't hurt to have a guy who runs good routes.

6th round - CB Duke Shelley.

Shelley would have been a much higher round pick if he was bigger. He's 5'9", 173 lbs. May be too small to cover the bigger WRs in the league. On the positive side, the guy has skillz. He blankets receivers, closes quickly if he's not right on them and is great at breaking up passes. His films show a solid understanding of when and how to get his fist in to break up a pass. Could develop into a good slot corner or a shut down corner on the smaller WRs. The talent is there, the size isn't.

Flyn grade: B
If he was 2 inches taller, he'd get the A.

7th round - RB Kerrith Whyte Jr.

Strange that the Bears would take 2 RBs in the draft. They went from needing 1 to being overloaded and needing to cut 1 or 2 from their roster (Mizzell? Nall?) Whyte is a burner. Gives a different skill set to the RB roster. If he makes the team, he'll be a back up, gimmick player. Probably pencils in as Tarik Cohen's back up.

Flyn grade: B-
Whyte isn't great but he is fast. He was the back up for RB Singletary who went just after the Bears picked Montgomery. Bears hope he breaks out when given playing time.

7th round - CB Stephen Denmark.

Denmark is a big CB. 6'3", 220 lbs. He has prototypical size for a modern CB. He's from a small school and is very raw. Denmark started out as a WR and switched to DB a year ago. Very raw. He's a project with upside.
I watched videos and can see why the Bears took the chance on him. He muscles WRs all the way out of bounds and through the players on the sideline. He hits hard. He has some athletic ability.

Flyn grade: B
At this point in the draft, you are looking for players with upside. Most 7th rounders won't make their teams. IF the Bears can teach him up to play the CB spot better, they may have a bargain here.

Bears have been going crazy signing UDFAs. We'll have a lot of guys to watch during training camp and pre-season.

Go Bears!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
My thoughts on the 2019 Bears draft:

1st up, Khalil Mack and Anthony Miller. They need to be figured in since getting them is directly related to losing the Bears 1 and 2 picks this year. If Mack continues his Hall of Fame play and Miller develops into a capable receiver these draft picks will be well spent.

3rd round - RB David Montgomery.

Montgomery has the whole package you want in an RB except for top end speed. His 40 times were slow. He will get caught from behind a lot. Expect many 5-10 yard gains with some breakout runs of 15-30 yards. Few long runs or long TDs.

Flyn grade: C
I give Montgomery a D for what the Bears had to give up to move up to get him and a B for his gameplay. Averages out to the C.

4th round - WR Riley Ridley.

Ridley is Calvin Ridley's brother. Calvin went in the 1st round in a previous draft. Ridley was projected as a low 2nd round pick so he was sitting way up on the Bears' board when they got to the 4th round. They too him as BPA.
Ridley runs good routes which is getting to be rare in college players. He also doesn't have exceptional speed. Could end up being a serviceable WR2 on the outside or a slot WR.

Flyn grade: A
Ridley was projected to go 2 rounds earlier. He's good value at the spot the Bears took him. Can't hurt to have a guy who runs good routes.

Go Bears!

Anthony Miller is going to be very good if he stays healthy

Dont like what they gave up for Montgomery, but the dude is a fucking beast. I cant wait to see him in a Bears uniform.

Ridley was considered the best route runner in the draft by some of the "experts". I like him as well and couldnt believe he was still there when the Bears took him.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, we'll forget about the draft pick losses if Montgomery is the guy the Bears think he is. If he can do close to what he did in college in the pros, we'll be happy.

Bears have signed 31 UDFAs and camp invites as of today. They moved fast. Probably had more time to look at the bottom of the draft after not having picks in the first 2 rounds.

Prospective players are reported to be happy to sign with the Bears. New day, new attitude in Chicago and prospective players see that. Signing with Chicago is now a good thing compared to a few years ago when few players wanted to come here.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
More info is coming out about Jordan Howard's deficiencies at RB.

Howard doesn't have "natural hands". That's the ability to instinctively catch a ball the correct way.

Howard was unable to split out in a formation. He couldn't handle the route trees at the position (either mental or physical, don't know).

Montgomery already gives the Bears a receiver who finds the holes and runs hard. He eludes tacklers. Just using these traits should be an improvement over Howard.

Montgomery will be taught the pro route trees. IF he can handle them, he adds a new set of options for Nagy to use. Nagy can send Montgomery out of the pocket to a WR position. This will give Trubisky more info as to what the Defense is doing. Nagy can look for mismatches with Montgomery up against LBs. Montgomery did catch an average of 23 passes a year at Iowa State.

Nagy can now better utilize Tarik Cohen, too, if Montgomery can handle route trees. The backfield can be Montgomery/Davis and Cohen can be a wildcard anywhere in the formations. Put him up against an LB and good things should happen. At worst, Cohen will pull the LB/S away from any runs. At best, he'll be heading for the endzone.

Then add Cordarrelle Patterson and Riley Ridley to the mix. Bears are loaded with talent. I can't wait for pre-season to start.

Ridley, BTW, reminds me of Wes Welker. Great route running but not super fast. I hope the Bears use him in a Wes Welker type role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxb1BuXHeAI

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
One of the Bears 7th round picks, RB Kerrith Whyte, is intriguing.

4.38 40 yd. time. The guy flies.

I want to see him run back some kicks. He has a bit of Hester in him. Runs north and south at the best hole and cranks up the speed. Reminds me of how Hester did it.

Finds the holes at RB, too. If he gets to the secondary, he could be gone. Use him against a tired D at the end of the game.

Hopefully, Whyte looks good at kick returns and makes the team. Add Cordarrelle into the mix and the Bears have a shot at finally having KRs who can score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjccJKuRGM

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
More info is coming out about Jordan Howard's deficiencies at RB.

Howard doesn't have "natural hands". That's the ability to instinctively catch a ball the correct way.

Howard was unable to split out in a formation. He couldn't handle the route trees at the position (either mental or physical, don't know).

Howard was still a beast and did improve on his pass catching last year. Wonder what his role is going to be in Philly being they took a RB in the 2nd round.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Scouting report on one of the Bears very interesting UDFA signings...

Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri
Height: 6-1. Weight: 201. Arm: 33.25. Hand: 9.75.
40 Time: 4.39.
Bench: 15. Vertical: 43.5. Broad: 11-9.
Projected Round (2019): 3-4.

4/23/19: Over 2018, Hall made 37 receptions for 828 yards and six touchdowns. He also missed a lot of time while dealing with injuries. However, sources say there are questions about Hall's personal makeup, including his toughness and willingness to play at less than 100 percent. But they do like his combination of speed and size as he has a first-round skill set. Sources say that Hall has a sports hernia, and that hurts where he is being valued. His future team has to decide whether he misses practice and plays through the injury with pain, something he has struggled to do, or has surgery and goes out for some time. All of that being said, Hall has a first-round combination of speed and size.

8/28/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Hall checks in at 6-foot-1, 196 pounds. He is said to run the 40 in 4.40 seconds. His arms measure at 33.5 inches, his hands at 9.5 inches, and his wing span at 80.38 inches.

Hall was a big-play threat for Missouri in 2017, as his speed to stretch the field was a real problem for defenses. He averaged 25 yards per reception with 817 yards and eight touchdowns coming on only 33 catches. Sources say Hall has motivation issues and needs to improve his hands due to his problem with dropped passes. That being said, they said he is very fast and there is no doubt he can run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info