Official 2019-2020 Chicago Bears Thread - Keep Moving Forward

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
There was a rush on safeties yesterday and today, and quite a few got big contracts. Not like last year when the safety market was basically non-existent

Crazy thing is, free agency doesn't start for another 24 hours :hsughlol:

Earl Thomas probably the best one left. I really hope they dont over pay for him. Should have went after the Honey Badger

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Earl Thomas probably the best one left. I really hope they dont over pay for him. Should have went after the Honey Badger

+1 on Honey Badger.

There's always the draft. The more teams pick up Safeties in free agency, the less who will take them in the draft. Nobody's cheaper than a rookie.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
In a moment of transparency at one of the press conferences, Nagy mentioned he needs his RBs to run their routes properly. Could have something to do with it.

Very possibly. Again, Howard was drafted to pound the ball between the tackles, but has the burst to break it outside. Even his draft profile mentions he never really factored into the passing game in college (either of the schools he was at.)

If anything, having Howard on the field, limits your play calling options for the Bears. The defense can stack the box, because they know he's not a catching threat. He can still pass block, but you'd rather have someone who can get into the flat and catch and run. Howard just isn't that back. Some team will love his abilities in their offense; the Bears loved his abilities under Fox.

He's rotting on the roster now, trade him and get something back out of him and get his roster spot to a RB or WR that is going to work better for their needs. I still think the Bears are a RB short though, I don't see Cunningham, Davis, and Cohen as a viable trio to start the year. I'd like to see Cunningham get cut, and bring in a Ingram type of player, although it sounds like he's off to Baltimore last I heard, and honestly probably a little too expensive.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Jay Ajayi is still available and is a decent dual threat back, he's coming off an ACL but is only 26

Spencer Ware is sitting out there too, has familiarity with Nagy's offense (being in KC during Nagy's tenure), and has shown ability to catch out of the backfield...

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Jay Ajayi is still available and is a decent dual threat back, he's coming off an ACL but is only 26

Spencer Ware is sitting out there too, has familiarity with Nagy's offense (being in KC during Nagy's tenure), and has shown ability to catch out of the backfield...

Has Ajayi ever stayed healthy? Seams like that guy has always been hurt.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Wow. Bears just picked up Cordarrelle Patterson. 2 years at $5 mil. per.

Adios Kevin White or is he just a replacement for Bellamy?

Bonus is it gives the Bears a kick returner.

Bears were dead last in return average last year so it's a needed move. Patterson averaged 28.8 yds per return on kickoffs

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Bears were dead last in return average last year so it's a needed move. Patterson averaged 28.8 yds per return on kickoffs

Bears never picked up White's option, so pretty safe to assume he isnt in their plans.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL

NE also used him as a RB last year. I doubt thats what the bears have in mind but it doesn't hurt to have a versatile player like that who can fill multiple rolls.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have seen CD make some great moves/tackles in games and I know the Bears coaches are/were better than the GB coaches who taught him so I'm hoping he's even better in Chicago than he was in GB. I think we're going to have a great Safety combo with Jackson and Clinton Dix. Opponents should be worried.

Only downside, IMO, is he sometimes ignores his assignments. That can be taught.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
GB dropped him for a reason and now he's available again so there has to be some baggage, either him ignoring some assignments or something like that. Bears probably want to test him out with a prove it deal. They do love their prove it deals.

In Chicago, he won't have to be THE GUY or even the top Safety so he may be more comfortable in that role. We'll find out.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Adrian Amos $9+ mil per year signed by GB.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix $3.6 mil one year deal. (bargain)

I like the math.

CD played with Eddie Jackson in college so he should drop right into the mix. Go Crimson Tide!

Most likely he'll miss some coverages and when you start yelling at him will make a game changing play. Hopefully Pagano can train him up. The fact that Pagano will play more 2 high Safety and have CD at strong Safety may help him a lot. He does better when he's close to the line. GB and Washington played more 1 high and put CD at free Safety which was tougher for him. Jackson is a Pro Bowl Free Safety so CD won't have to worry as much about guys getting past him. He'll be able to take more risks at Strong Safety and that is his style of game.

Washington wanted to re-sign him, I believe for more money than the Bears offered and CD liked what the Bears are doing and wanted to come here.

Cordarrelle Patterson said the same thing. He talked about how great it was to play for the team Hester played on. Wants to get Hester's number to pick his brain. Bears have a return threat again.

Now, we need a kicker and, maybe, a punter. Back up edge rusher would be good, too.

I'm really happy with the logical moves the Bears have made so far and the prices they got the free agents to sign at. KR improved. Safety, I think, improved. OL, maintained. Buster Skrine, we'll see.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info