Official 2018-2019 Chicago Bears Thread - Nagy Takes Over

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Dez to the Bears? No way. Doesn't fit the "locker room" profile of a player that Pace would go after. Dez is a locker room cancer. He's talented, but no chance of him heading to Chicago, IMO

6jUvpgZ.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Nice move. Saves the Bears a couple million and almost guarantees no other team will go after Fuller since they would have to pay $13 mil.+ and not have the Bears match the offer. Downside to the transition tag is no compensation for the Bears if some team does steal Fuller but that's not likely with the price he's going to get from the Bears.

Fuller gets a bump in salary from $3 mil. to $12.9 mil. so he should be happy.

This makes 2018 another prove it year for him at a cheaper cost than a franchise tag.

RE: Dez Bryant, I would not want him on my team and I doubt the Cowboys will let him go.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, I don't mind not receiving a compensatory pick. It'll be nice, because if the Bears get Fuller, it'll be at market value, and not at an inflated value. Like I said previously, there are a ton of talented CB's on the market this year, so chances are the FA prices will be less because of all the choices. Seems like a savvy move on the Bears' part.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, I don't like their money guy who makes stupid moves like Glennon but he does have the Bears in 3rd position money-wise in the league. Should be $80 mil.+ in cap space depending on if they release anyone else and that's not bad.

Bears can pick their targets and outbid nearly anyone if they choose to do so.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Trubisky is still uproven, and has been shaky in his first year. We saw glimpses, but he's still got a long road ahead.

Howard is very good, but I am not quite ready to call him elite. Probably our best skill player.

Cohen is a gadget player, he's good but we still have to see if he can sustain his success in his sophomore campaign

Floyd has not lived up to expectations, as of now he's just an above average edge rusher. That can certainly change, but as it sits, he's nothing more than just an above average rusher.

Fuller is technically a free agent, and off the books. He's a very good corner when playing to his potential, but he's extremely inconsistent.

Hicks is very good, although I'm also not ready to call him elite. He's probably the best player on the defense though

Meredith is also unproven. He has one solid year, but to crown him this early is a bit premature. He is also coming off a devastating knee injury and very possibly could never be the same player again

Eddie Jackson has been solid, but again I wouldn't go far to say he's great. So far I would categorize him as an above average player, playing well above his draft position.

Trevathan, when healthy, is the backbone of the defense. He's very good, but he's not an elite playmaker. He's a great leader, and the defense would be worse off without him, but I can't say he's great.

Whitehair has been surprising, durable, and very versatile. He's on the road to becoming an elite interior lineman. Not quite there, but in another year or so, let's discuss again.

Long is probably the only player on the Bears I would consider an elite talent, and even then the past couple of seasons, he's caught the injury bug and has struggled to stay on the field.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Nagy's style is being compared to Philly's way of playing. Much more cutting edge than Fox's along with using players to their abilities rather than trying to have them fit in a scheme. We may be finally getting to the point where a rebuild can work. DEF played last year at a playoff level. OFF needs WRs and OLs. Add those and a few other pieces and we'll see what happens.

Bears are in great shape financially and have a good 1st round pick that should get them a future pro bowler. Could be worse. IMO, the glass is half full.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Robinsonā€™s contract is 3 years $42M, $25M guaranteed. A little more guaranteed money than I wouldā€™ve liked for a guy coming off an ACL injury and a down year before that...but itā€™s whereabouts of what receivers are going for of his talent level. Not an egregious overpayment, but also not a ā€œdealā€ either. Just sort of meh

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Price is good especially after hearing the Chiefs are going to pay Sammy Watkins $48 mil. for three years with $30 mil. guaranteed.

Albert Wilson is going to Miami.

Bears now have a legit WR1. That's big. Also, remember who was throwing to Robinson in Jacksonville? Blake Bortles. Trubisky should be an improvement.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Bears sign WR Allen Robinson (3 years, $42 million; $25 million guaranteed): C+ Grade

There's no doubting Allen Robinson's talent, so that's not what I'm questioning with this C+ grade. Allen Robinson had a terrific 2015 campaign, catching 80 balls for 1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns despite being paired with the anemic Blake Bortles. That in itself is worth $15 million in guarantees.

However, a chunk of those numbers were bogus. Bortles compiled most of his positive stats in garbage time that year, and Robinson was the primary recipient. Since then, Robinson hasn't done much. He hauled in 73 receptions for 883 yards and six scores in 2016, running half-hearted routes the entire time. Then, he missed all but one game in 2017 because of a torn ACL. Robinson should be 100 percent by training camp because the injury occurred last September, but I'm more concerned about his effort level. Will he give 100 percent to the Bears? I'd be more optimistic about this had he joined a strong locker room with a veteran quarterback, but Mitchell Trubisky has yet to do anything to command respect. If Robinson slacks off, especially with this new $25 million guaranteed, how will that impact Trubisky's development?

I'm not a big fan of this signing, but I don't hate it either, hence the C+. I understand why the Bears signed Robinson, as they needed to find play-making talent around Trubisky, but this move could definitely backfire.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004

Any NFL move could backfire. The writer just likes his glass half empty.

Chances are just as good Robinson and Trubisky click and turn into a productive NFL passer/catcher team.

If there's any part of the deal I'm not thrilled with, it's the $25 mil. guaranteed for a guy who just had an ACL injury. That amount was probably necessary to grab Robinson since there were a lot of teams interested in him. Bears beat out the 49ers to get the guy.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'm worried about his 2016 campaign and his ACL injury....He had a great 2015 season, but that was years ago. I'm worried now that he has a ton of guaranteed money, he'll be more likely to slack off, like he did in 2016. I also would've liked like guaranteed money, and more of incentive based deal.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Robinson is only 24 so, with development, he can be even better than he was on the Jaguars.

$8 mil. a year is a lot for Trey Burton. Again, he was a guy targeted by a lot of teams. Between the lines sad point is the Bears obviously don't have the confidence that Shaheen develops into a TE1 this year. Good point is the Bears could use follow N.E.'s lead with two catching TE sets.

Their Offense improved a bunch with these two signings.

I think they will pick up at least one more WR from free agency/draft and probably re-sign Inman and, maybe, Wright.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info