Office crew, what's your desk looking like these days

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
VVX311

my phone does not supply network to my PC. i have two ports in my cube, 1 for pc, 1 for phone.

I worked with our network guy and had my whole customer service team setup like this with our old shitty phone system. It Solved slowness issues with all the shit my people have to have open. Then we went with Cisco phones and a whole lot of money in infrastructure and it didn’t matter how they were setup and the Cisco phones and systems were soo damn nice to use. Now the company was been bought out and is using polycom 411 phones and some terrible new phone system provider all of which I hate! Rumor has it we will be breaking the contract with the current provider and going to another new system. Uuugh

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The call quality is much better than the cisco phone, again not sure if it is due to the new switch they put in, or the new phone. that is the ONLY thing i like about this phone. The display is half the size of the other one, which makes it hard to read the caller ID. the receiver feels cheap and has a tiny area to catch on to hand up a call. so worker had his phone off the hook for a while thinking it was hung up and it wasn't.

i like to hold my phone against my ear with my shoulder leaving both hands free to type while i am on the phone, and this one feels like its going to slip out all the time.

our old phones had our names on them, which made it easy to know where someones desk was. like sales guys or service guys that are basically never in the office. so if i needed to leave something for them on their desk i could easily tell who sat where. now, jsut the extension number shows. so now i have to look at the directory to see what extension they are, then hunt down the desk.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
A15M_1_20140424505423735.jpg

We're using these connected to Comcast VOIP... Actually work a ton better than our old phones did, so no complaints.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
maybe i'm an idiot, but i didn't realize all the use type-c male to male cable differences - in my defense, asus did not catch this (despite having video of me trying to use the external display with the mac and pc) and all 4 of these cables bear no markings whatsoever, ie. https://www.akitio.com/faq/356-are-all-usb-c-cables-the-same

story probably helped, but quite impressed with amazon as i noted my mom got me this external display for a christmas present and that i fully expected to use it on a 4 month trip. expected some painful logistics of me paying to ship it to the states then trying to recover it on a 3 day temporary jaunt back in atlanta. instead they shipped me out a new one 1/15, delivered 1/18, and said i could send the old back once in the states (2/22). new one actually is missing the power adapter (have plenty) - but the real key is that cable... works on both monitors, both laptops... and i'm a bit the wiser.

working from my airbnb and coffee shops for now. there is a wework i can use work credits against during the day, although i haven't tried it yet (and i'm working US hours so my primary normal work time is the night) - airport security is going to be extra fun to go through now.

CpiJ0M4.jpg

as an aside, somewhat forced into using a mac for work.

the screen seems nice, and i like having a linux/bsd/terminal as core as it is something i use frequently. this completes my list of things i think are good or that i like on the mac. i have a long list of gripes as to why i think it is otherwise inferior to annoyingly bad. definitely did not convert me to someone who would spend their own money on one.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
maybe i'm an idiot, but i didn't realize all the use type-c male to male cable differences - in my defense, asus did not catch this (despite having video of me trying to use the external display with the mac and pc) and all 4 of these cables bear no markings whatsoever, ie. https://www.akitio.com/faq/356-are-all-usb-c-cables-the-same

story probably helped, but quite impressed with amazon as i noted my mom got me this external display for a christmas present and that i fully expected to use it on a 4 month trip. expected some painful logistics of me paying to ship it to the states then trying to recover it on a 3 day temporary jaunt back in atlanta. instead they shipped me out a new one 1/15, delivered 1/18, and said i could send the old back once in the states (2/22). new one actually is missing the power adapter (have plenty) - but the real key is that cable... works on both monitors, both laptops... and i'm a bit the wiser.

working from my airbnb and coffee shops for now. there is a wework i can use work credits against during the day, although i haven't tried it yet (and i'm working US hours so my primary normal work time is the night) - airport security is going to be extra fun to go through now.

CpiJ0M4.jpg

as an aside, somewhat forced into using a mac for work.

the screen seems nice, and i like having a linux/bsd/terminal as core as it is something i use frequently. this completes my list of things i think are good or that i like on the mac. i have a long list of gripes as to why i think it is otherwise inferior to annoyingly bad. definitely did not convert me to someone who would spend their own money on one.
I use the *nix backend on my Mac ALL the time for tons of things. But I love scripting languages. Take a multi-step manual process that takes 10 minutes to do and turn it into something that takes 30 seconds.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I use the *nix backend on my Mac ALL the time for tons of things. But I love scripting languages. Take a multi-step manual process that takes 10 minutes to do and turn it into something that takes 30 seconds.

i've only ever had one normal corporate job, DBA on a specialty database when i was at a big bank. i had written things from helper tasks to full jobs to the point where tasks that might take 15 minutes to hours i could complete in about 10 seconds, and routine problem finding and maintenance tasks i had were automated to the point they'd just ping me when things needed attention. i also had jobs that would yell at my usars, like if they spent an hour downloading 10 million records (which they never used and just had bad design in their programs) - it would send them an email and point out the problematic thing they did. it would also log it into a database for me, so i had a naughty or nice list and could see if people fixed their behavior over time, or if i should sharpen my stick and introduce them to the pointy bits

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info