• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Odd hard-to-start problem on 2002 GT

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Occasionally, I will have a hard-to-start problem on my 2002 Mustang GT.
The issue will only occur when the engine is warm, but not every time.

The issue usually occurs if the engine is up to full operating temp, then shut down for a short while, then when you try to start it up again, it just cranks and won't start on the first try. Always starts on the second try though. Car starts just fine when cold.

Here's a real world example:
Engine is at operating temp, pull into the dry cleaners parking lot and shut off the car. Go into the cleaners for about 8 minutes. Come back out and try to start the car, but it just cranks. Turn key to "off" and try again, then it starts right up.

What could it be?

Jan 31, 2007
My friends stang did something like that for a short time before the fuel pump died completely. I also think the car benefited from a new fuel filter too.
If it's cranking then I am assuming without hearing it myself, that it is getting power from the battery and not enough fuel to turn over.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
My friends stang did something like that for a short time before the fuel pump died completely. I also think the car benefited from a new fuel filter too.
If it's cranking then I am assuming without hearing it myself, that it is getting power from the battery and not enough fuel to turn over.

LOL if there is enough power to turn the starter, the fuel pump will have plenty of juice.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Car is not supercharged and 100% stock. Battery is good and starter spins at a good speed.

I was also thinking along the lines of a possible fuel delivery issue.
It does start fine when cold and if I only wait 2 minutes when warm it starts fine. It also starts fine on the second try when it fails to do so on the first.

im going to say the IAC valve... its probably dirty and not allowing enough air during hot starts.. you can test this out by trying to give it 1/4 throttle while its cranking.. if it fires, the iac probably needs to be cleaned.

Mine does start up when I give it some gas on a hot start! Thanks Bob! What would you recommend to clean it?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just wanted to FINALLY follow up with this.

I didn't seem to have any problems in colder weather, so I didn't get around to cleaning the IAC until recently. Now that the weather is warm again, the car began to have the hard-to-start-while-warm issue.

It was indeed the IAC valve.

I pulled the IAC and gave it a thorough cleaning. Problem is completely gone so far and the car has been starting fine for three weeks now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info