Odd hard-to-start problem on 2002 GT

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Occasionally, I will have a hard-to-start problem on my 2002 Mustang GT.
The issue will only occur when the engine is warm, but not every time.

The issue usually occurs if the engine is up to full operating temp, then shut down for a short while, then when you try to start it up again, it just cranks and won't start on the first try. Always starts on the second try though. Car starts just fine when cold.

Here's a real world example:
Engine is at operating temp, pull into the dry cleaners parking lot and shut off the car. Go into the cleaners for about 8 minutes. Come back out and try to start the car, but it just cranks. Turn key to "off" and try again, then it starts right up.

What could it be?

Reaction score
My friends stang did something like that for a short time before the fuel pump died completely. I also think the car benefited from a new fuel filter too.
If it's cranking then I am assuming without hearing it myself, that it is getting power from the battery and not enough fuel to turn over.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
My friends stang did something like that for a short time before the fuel pump died completely. I also think the car benefited from a new fuel filter too.
If it's cranking then I am assuming without hearing it myself, that it is getting power from the battery and not enough fuel to turn over.
LOL if there is enough power to turn the starter, the fuel pump will have plenty of juice.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Car is not supercharged and 100% stock. Battery is good and starter spins at a good speed.

I was also thinking along the lines of a possible fuel delivery issue.
It does start fine when cold and if I only wait 2 minutes when warm it starts fine. It also starts fine on the second try when it fails to do so on the first.

blownstang

Reaction score
Mine is supercharged and does the same thing. It doesn't like hot starts. I do have a pprv delete.

zimmer0924

Master Debater
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 03 GT. I upgraded the fuel pump to a Walbro 255 and never had a problem again.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
If it's the fuel pump, why does it run fine after it starts?
Is this just a sign of an impending failure? The car only has about 25K miles on it.

blownstang

Reaction score
My svt focus pump doesnt even have 2,000 mi on it. Car runs fine under normal driving and wot.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
im going to say the IAC valve... its probably dirty and not allowing enough air during hot starts.. you can test this out by trying to give it 1/4 throttle while its cranking.. if it fires, the iac probably needs to be cleaned.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Good idea about the IAC valve. I'll take a look at it first since it's an easier thing to deal with. If that's not it, I guess I'll have to tackle the fuel pump.

Thanks for the info guys.

blownstang

Reaction score
im going to say the IAC valve... its probably dirty and not allowing enough air during hot starts.. you can test this out by trying to give it 1/4 throttle while its cranking.. if it fires, the iac probably needs to be cleaned.
Mine does start up when I give it some gas on a hot start! Thanks Bob! What would you recommend to clean it?

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Reaction score
Mine does start up when I give it some gas on a hot start! Thanks Bob! What would you recommend to clean it?
if you look back when you asked about yours originally, i said to check the iac valve...

mustngt01

mustngt01
Reaction score
I had a problem with my start up on my gt too. Every time the car warmed up it would struggle to turn on. I was shocked to find out it was my alternator! Now it starts right up. You should test the alternator out, youll never know its worth a try. It worked for me

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
My car does the same thing and its been doing it for probably 4+ years :dunno:
my old 00 gt did it too...lol. i think it was missing a couple teeth on the flywheel too because it'd crank then skip and sound like ass....it could be embarassing. with a cold start it was never a problem

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
Just wanted to FINALLY follow up with this.

I didn't seem to have any problems in colder weather, so I didn't get around to cleaning the IAC until recently. Now that the weather is warm again, the car began to have the hard-to-start-while-warm issue.

It was indeed the IAC valve.

I pulled the IAC and gave it a thorough cleaning. Problem is completely gone so far and the car has been starting fine for three weeks now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom