Movie Oblivion (starring Tom Cruise & Morgan Freeman)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
How?? He compared being away from his family for MONTHS AT A TIME, to someone who in the military who can be away from their family for months at a time. That was it. I even went back and found the TMZ article. That was the only comparison he made.

Lawyer: "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan. Are you aware of that?"

Cruise: "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."

Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?" Tom replies, "Oh come on." Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
How?? He compared being away from his family for MONTHS AT A TIME, to someone who in the military who can be away from their family for months at a time. That was it. I even went back and found the TMZ article. That was the only comparison he made.

Soldiers have NO communication with family for months at a time, with a few getting satellite call privileges if they aren't in the field. This mutli-multi millionaire can talk to his child anytime he wants, can charter a plane and see his kid anytime he wants. He is exaggerating, and full of shit

Basically acting in a courtroom to get people to side with him.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I watched it last night on HBO. It was much better than what I expected from the trailer. I really expected another ho-hum sci-fi movie, but I have to say I actually enjoyed it.

The one negative: at first, they make the Scavs seem very inhuman in the way that they move. Some appeared to be running on all fours or just having very inhuman movements. I thought they tried a little too hard to hide the fact that they were indeed humans.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
I watched it last night on HBO. It was much better than what I expected from the trailer. I really expected another ho-hum sci-fi movie, but I have to say I actually enjoyed it.

The one negative: at first, they make the Scavs seem very inhuman in the way that they move. Some appeared to be running on all fours or just having very inhuman movements. I thought they tried a little too hard to hide the fact that they were indeed humans.

Those scavs reminded me of Portal, and that AI thing at the end.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Soldiers have NO communication with family for months at a time, with a few getting satellite call privileges if they aren't in the field. This mutli-multi millionaire can talk to his child anytime he wants, can charter a plane and see his kid anytime he wants. He is exaggerating, and full of shit

Basically acting in a courtroom to get people to side with him.

I know this is an old post, but I want to take the opportunity to point out the inaccuracy of your statements. I served for 13 years active duty, and a total coming up on 16 years including reserve time this coming February. I have been on multiple combat deployments and many more non-combat deployments to 3rd world countries from periods of a few months to a few years. Some of those include Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines, East Timor, etc, etc, etc. I speak from a place of experience when I say that even back in the late 90's us military personnel deployed overseas have had pretty decent access to communications back home. In virtually every place I have traveled while under orders, I have had enough access to call back home at least twice a week, if I felt like it. Hell, nowadays soldiers have their own local cell phones in Afghanistan and can literally text directly back home at any time they want. Calls are a bit expensive, but still quite manageable.

I don't have any qualms with a father having compared his job making him travel away from his child for months at a time to that of a military service-member having done a similar thing. From a parental aspect alone, I feel it is the same thing; and I believe that is what Tom Cruise was speaking toward in his deposition. Analogizing the similarities between two related things in order to offer a more clear context of familial struggles and actually claiming them to be one and the same are worlds apart.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info