O2 Sensor questions

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
I started installing my MRT h-pipe tonite and striped an upper O2 sensor. :damnit:

It started binding so I stopped and cleaned out a high spot in the threads in the bung and tried to clean up the o2 sensor. It started to thread back in and got soo close to tightening all the way and it just stopped. When I backed it out it was completely screwed.

I can have a local exaust shop clean up the pipe but the O2 sensor is history. I found Ford replacements online for $75 plus shipping OR Autozone has replacements made by BOSCH for $40.

Since the PCM actually uses the upper O2s should I replace both sides with the Bosch units? I would think different MFRs might read differently which would freak out the PCM. Would going to Bosch units effect the tune?

OR am I better off to replace the stripped one with a Ford replacement for the 100 or so dollars that a local dealer is gonna want for a factory replacement.

Does it even matter or am I over thinking this? :dunno:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Why do you care about 02 sensors. Go the sensable route and get an o/r. You won't live long enough to experience the reprocussions of our actions!

The one I stripped was an upper (before the cats). The computer actually uses those to run the car so you need them. I went with the Ford one so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I didn't get the O/R because at the time I bought it I thought I was moving to a place with emissions testing (Phoenix) but that fell through anyway.

SVTspeed

Apr 26, 2004
We dont use the Bosch o2's on the GM cars... they dont last as long and are not as accurate (vs. factory). Being that most of the cobras and lightnings I run into are fairly new and never really have a problem with o2's. I only would use the Ford sensors on the older GT's I work on.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
The last time I replaced an O2 sensor was on my last Ranger. The factory one I pulled out had identical stampings on it as the Bosch one I bought from Autozone. I've never had trouble with any of the Bosch sensors, except when I had head gaskets leaking and fouling them up (read = GM products).

I guess I would agree the Bosch ones for the GMs never lasted very long, but the GM ones were always like $20 each and Ford replacements were always like $50 as I remember.

Shouldn't be any different from the factory sensors.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
I should have taken pics when I had them both side by side. The Bosch looked way different.

I'm not exactly sure how they work but I would think getting similar readings from both sides would be important. :dunno:

Just seemed easier to dig a little deeper and get the Ford one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info