Gaming Nvidia debuts its new RTX 4 series cards

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I mean, for example. Even running at 5120x1440p HDR with Gsync enabled the 3080ti and Ryzen 5800x lets me do Cyberpunk 2077 around 60fps average with DLSS enabled. I'm not a competative gamer so thats plenty for me. All my other games run at or above 100fps average, and some like iRacing will lock at 240fps and just hold there.

240fps for a racing game is NICE. 4ms frame times and that HUGE wide monitor make for an amazing experience.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I mean, for example. Even running at 5120x1440p HDR with Gsync enabled the 3080ti and Ryzen 5800x lets me do Cyberpunk 2077 around 60fps average with DLSS enabled. I'm not a competative gamer so thats plenty for me. All my other games run at or above 100fps average, and some like iRacing will lock at 240fps and just hold there.

240fps for a racing game is NICE. 4ms frame times and that HUGE wide monitor make for an amazing experience.
Oh I agree. My 3090 rocks with my 3440x1440@160hz setup. But I want more. And was kicking around jumping to the 4k ultrawide but at 120/144. I can just every so slightly touch 120fps with max settings but no post processing or RT with warzone and all the cod MPs at true 4k ultrawide.. But I want to crank them and get the 160+ and let gsync to the rest. No DLSS bs. And setup correctly, there wont be any bottlenecking of the CPU.

If I press my 3090 hard enough with all settings maxed including RT but no DLSS, I can get the CPU usage of my 10850k down into single digit percentages. I watched several 4090 reviews today and they are saying it can bottleneck even a 12900k at 4k in some instances. I find that VERY hard to believe. There is no way you should be bottlenecking one of those using max settings in 4k. Hell that that point, raise the resolution scale in game or enable higher DSR resolutions if the nvidia control panel to push that GPU. I can bring my 3090 down to 50fps in COD19 MP by running it 5120x2160 with all settings maxed and RT enabled. Then from there I can raise the resolution scale to 200 and watch it turn into a 2fps slide show while the CPU sits at 2 percent utilization.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I'm still rocking a 1080 GTX, so I really need a new card. Can't really do 4K at any decent frame rate with this thing.
I had two in an SLI config, but one fried, so now I'm running at half power with games that support SLI. Unfortunately, most new games don't support SLI and apparently, it's a dead technology.

I've been trying to get a 3080, 3080 TI, or 3090 for years, but almost none were ever available. The few that were eventually available were marked up 4X the list price, so fuck that. Then when prices finally started to come down, the 4000 series cards were about to be released, so I figured I'd just suffer a little more with my 1080 GTX.

I'm ready for a 4090 at this point, assuming I can get one and assuming it's not marked up into the stratosphere.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Got an email from MicroCenter. Not sure if this covers all the models. Sorry for the screen caps, did it from my phone.

6EAD7C03-CFC7-4F87-83C6-B3A2D4572A4C.jpeg
4598E86E-5D5E-4E76-A075-CCF2D993C197.jpeg
87A0510A-F206-45F4-8B8E-25B2C0AF0354.jpeg

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Yesterday, I got an e-mail from Nvidia stating that you'd be able to order a 4090 from their site starting at 6:00 am PST.
This morning, I got another e-mail from Nvidia stating the cards were now available to order!

So, I go to the site and everything is listed as "Coming Soon". Still not available. Nvidia fail.
Checked out Microcenter and you can only purchase the cards in store. Another fail.
Newegg says they have them in stock, so I tried to buy three different ones with the same result. You can add it to your cart, but when you go to check out, it says they're out of stock. Fail.

So far this rollout looks like a repeat of the 3000 series release. Maybe worse.

1665580250980.png

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
The only model I have seen from the various groups Im on that people are getting is the Zotac one. No way I dont want anything Zotac.

I'd take the FE, STRIX, MSI Gaming X or the Asus TUF ones. Thats about it. My 3090 is an FE. That card is a beast. I've only used FE cards since the 1080ti.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Just checked Newegg and now they're showing one I tried to buy about an hour ago.
It was $1,599 back an hour ago and is now $2,556. They're marking shit up again.
Have a link? My bet is it would be a third party seller on newegg.

Seems the chicago microcenter had about 150 cards. Westmont probably had a bit less.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I mean scalpers are going to make this an issue until it isnt affordable to do it. At least mining demand is down. 3xxx series were easy to find the past few months. Also still large constraints on chip production. Will be interesting to see how Intels entry into this market goes.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Intel has an opportunity here to clean house and dominate the market.
I wonder what the future of their new GPU's are going to be?
I've been seeing mixed signals from them, including considering cancelling their GPU altogether.
They still haven't released a product.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Reactions: nytebyte

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Managed to score a Gigabyte RTX 4090. Totally lucky timing.

I found two for sale, but by the time I checked out, they were both sold and my order was cancelled.
Then, about 2 min later, one came back as available. Maybe someone cancelled their order?
I managed to get though the checkout process fast enough and it went through.
Got the card a week later. I guess I should feel lucky since these things are now going for $2,400 on the low end for a shitty Zotac, all the way up to almost $5K for something decent.

The card is fucking huge and I had trouble getting it into my giant, full size gaming tower case.
It came with an adjustable support bar that you must put on one end to prevent the card from sagging.
The thing is basically one giant heat sink and is probably almost twice the size of my old GTX 1080 card.
The placement of the power connector with the fanout power cable prevents me from putting the side cover back on my case since it would bend / stress the connection too much. I'll need to wait for someone to make an elbow connector before I can seal up the case again. Not a great design.

I tested it out with the game Control with all the graphics settings cranked up, but only at 1080p.
It ran perfectly smooth at 144 FPS to match my monitor's refresh rate.

It was showing 100% GPU utilization, which seemed odd at first, but on closer inspection, it was running at less than half its maximum clock speed and only drawing 34 watts at a temp of 44C max. Basically, the game Control with all the settings cranked didn't even phase it. For comparison, on my old GTX 1080, it would be running at only about 80 FPS with NO raytracing and at 72C.

It really needs a 4K monitor, which I will probably get since I now have a graphics card that makes it worth getting.

Size comparison (GTX 1080 vs RTX 4090)
1666531359439.png

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Managed to score a Gigabyte RTX 4090. Totally lucky timing.

I found two for sale, but by the time I checked out, they were both sold and my order was cancelled.
Then, about 2 min later, one came back as available. Maybe someone cancelled their order?
I managed to get though the checkout process fast enough and it went through.
Got the card a week later. I guess I should feel lucky since these things are now going for $2,400 on the low end for a shitty Zotac, all the way up to almost $5K for something decent.

The card is fucking huge and I had trouble getting it into my giant, full size gaming tower case.
It came with an adjustable support bar that you must put on one end to prevent the card from sagging.
The thing is basically one giant heat sink and is probably almost twice the size of my old 1080 GTX card.

I tested it out with the game Control with all the graphics settings cranked up, but only at 1080p.
It ran perfectly smooth at 144 FPS to match my monitor's refresh rate.

It was showing 100% GPU utilization, which seemed odd at first, but on closer inspection, it was running at less than half its maximum clock speed and only drawing 34 watts at a temp of 44C max. Basically, the game Control with all the settings cranked didn't even phase it. For comparison, on my old 1080 GTX, it would be running at only about 80 FPS with NO raytracing and at 72C.

It really needs a 4K monitor, which I will probably get since I now have a graphics card that makes it worth getting.

Size comparison (1080 GTX vs RTX 4090)
View attachment 136575
Control uses the fantastic Northlight engine and is a terrible test at 1080P since just about anything will run good frame rates at low resolutions. Even a 2080 is a waste at 1080p gaming. For 3000 series and above you really need a 1440p or 4K monitor to stretch its legs.

If you got a nice 4K OLED TV, you should try it there. :)

Remedy really needs to update Control so it supports HDR, it would look INCREDIBLE with HDR.

Reactions: nytebyte
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info