Gaming Nvidia debuts its new RTX 4 series cards

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
My 3090/10850k isnt going anywhere. Its dialed in and runs everything I have at 3440x1440@160+ all maxed out. The 3090 is a solid 4k60 card but its an even better 1440p ultrawide card. Ultrawide IS SICK. I wont bother get a 4k series card unless they are real world better and can do 4k ultrawide better than my 3090 can do 1440p ultrawide. And ALSO I have cranked up the resolution scale in warzone to the 5120x2160 ultrawide maxed out and still can get 120fps with that 3090. Its a disgusting card.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The negativity keeps on coming.

Good info in that vid.

Luckily, I already have a 1050 Watt 80+ power supply, but it's not ATX 3.0.
After watching that vid, I might consider upgrading before getting one of the new cards.

I can't believe how tiny the pins are on that connector, especially for pulling so much power.
That could be a serious design issue. I guess time will tell.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
AMD has the potential to absolutely wipe the floor with nVidia. I’d gladly lose 10-15% performance if AMD’s cards are 40-50% cheaper. Unfortunately, they have been getting big in their britches and following nVidia’s pricing model, and pricing level.

Might be full team red with the 7000 series. Otherwise, I’m waiting again for another pricing crash. This 5600X and 2070S still crushes everything I play. I haven’t bought a new AAA title in years. Think the newest AAA game I bought was Dying Light and Doom Eternal. Both of which I can max out at 1440 with 144fps no problem.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Inflation bitches... :p

Maybe they think they can get away with it since the 3000 series cards have been so insanely overpriced for years.
I bet people still buy it.

The pc I built a month ago has been able to play everything so far at 4k with a 3070ti and an i512600k. Not upgrading for those prices.
I really wonder if there will be a limit on it. I think they found out that the industrial GPU market is higher profit and are going to tell the consumer market to fuck off by and large especially if they are hurting to get those out the door. Then again it could also be the coin miners supporting the card prices and they'll get a rude awakening since ethereumis all mined. Also, is the next killer app here yet or are even the previous gen cards adequate to do what needs to be done?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If AMD cards can encode worth a damn like Nvidia, then I can really see things taking a turn honestly.
I'd be okay if it was slower than NVenc as long as they get the quality up near CPU based encoding.

NVEnc vs CPU usually ends up with a file 50% larger, and still worse quality than the CPU version. Sure its still 25-50x faster, and that's okay for streaming, but for long term compression I'd prefer significantly higher quality over speed. Even if it ended up being only 5x-10x faster than CPU.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Example, I'm encoding special features for a new movie. I tend to keep the movie/show in its full quality, and let Plex transcode if needed. But for things like special features, I transcode them to keep them small. I usually target between 20% and 30% of the original file size. If it the quality and efficiency of NVenc was better, I'd easily, happily let the Nvidia Venc encoder at it to take advantage of the speed.

I have the VM on the TrueNAS server working hard. 4 simultaneous transcodes, with 40 cores assigned (works out to about 10 cores per transcode). And its only at 53C°, freaking amazing air cooler on this CPU, and not even that expensive, like $60.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 12.36.07 PM.png

1664127595015.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info