Gaming Nvidia debuts its new RTX 4 series cards

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If they added DLAA support in the last patch, that should help drive GPU Usage up. Its like DLSS, but the opposite for when you have GPU headroom to spare.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Managed to score a Gigabyte RTX 4090. Totally lucky timing.

I found two for sale, but by the time I checked out, they were both sold and my order was cancelled.
Then, about 2 min later, one came back as available. Maybe someone cancelled their order?
I managed to get though the checkout process fast enough and it went through.
Got the card a week later. I guess I should feel lucky since these things are now going for $2,400 on the low end for a shitty Zotac, all the way up to almost $5K for something decent.

The card is fucking huge and I had trouble getting it into my giant, full size gaming tower case.
It came with an adjustable support bar that you must put on one end to prevent the card from sagging.
The thing is basically one giant heat sink and is probably almost twice the size of my old 1080 GTX card.
The placement of the power connector with the fanout power cable prevents me from putting the side cover back on my case since it would bend / stress the connection too much. I'll need to wait for someone to make an elbow connector before I can seal up the case again. Not a great design.

I tested it out with the game Control with all the graphics settings cranked up, but only at 1080p.
It ran perfectly smooth at 144 FPS to match my monitor's refresh rate.

It was showing 100% GPU utilization, which seemed odd at first, but on closer inspection, it was running at less than half its maximum clock speed and only drawing 34 watts at a temp of 44C max. Basically, the game Control with all the settings cranked didn't even phase it. For comparison, on my old 1080 GTX, it would be running at only about 80 FPS with NO raytracing and at 72C.

It really needs a 4K monitor, which I will probably get since I now have a graphics card that makes it worth getting.

Size comparison (1080 GTX vs RTX 4090)
View attachment 136575
The size is fucking ridiculous

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The size is fucking ridiculous
You should look at how thick they are. Most of them are 3 to 3.5 slot width MINIMUM. Let along length. Even the founders edition is huge.

Here's a 3080 vs 4090.
1666549801735.png

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Was playing around with Watch Dogs Legion and it seems to be more demanding than even Cyberpunk 2077.

This is with all the settings cranked to max:

1666791503884.png

The low average framerate is odd, especially since both the CPU and GPU aren't really being utilized much.
It still looks fantastic though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info